tablet and pen use on computers/usability aids question

Options
joelvsarthritis
joelvsarthritis Member Posts: 5
edited 27. Nov 2019, 07:07 in Living with arthritis
Hello,

I am an IT Manager by trade - my Drs talked me into an IT career path as a 14 year old as 'it was the future' they told me at the time and would help me with my ability/capacity to work despite what happened with my conditions (how right they were!) so my role is pretty much entirely desk-based at the computer all day.

I use things like mechanical keyboards and handshoe mice that work really well however, my fingers are starting to twist and warp from PsA and my wrists are now fusing, limiting movement and increasing the pain with daily use.

It was suggested to me to try using a tablet and pen as a pointing device - much like illustrators or graphic designers use - however, I've never had to purchase one before so I wondered if anyone on here had any experience of them or recommendations.

From my research, Wacom seem the best blend of value for money and quality but I'd appreciate any advice.

Many thanks,
Joel.
joelvsarthritis.co.uk

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm not sure this will be at all relevant, Joel, but, hey, when has that ever stopped me :lol:

I'm best at a desktop with a keyboard. I use an ordinary mouse as little as possible, normally using an index finger from both hands - the left one to click and the rght, plus other fingers from my left hand, to move it.

When I first got a small tablet, just for evening use and travel, I found I had entirely the wrong sort of fingers for one :roll: or, as I inadvertently typed to a fried, 'the erong gingers' :wink: I got a stylus and typed more accurately but was very frustrated by my slow speed. So I discarded it and settled for the erong gingers. I'm much better than I used too be but not good.

If going for a stylus I'd recommend either one with a thick handle (if there is such a beast) as gripping thin objects causes problems in itself or adapting one to thicken it.

On the plus side, my wrists fused themselves years ago. It was excruciating at the time but judicious use of wrist splints meant that they fused straight. It's very useful and....at last....pain free.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright