Panorama programme on waiting times for surgery

Options
YvonneH
YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
edited 7. Feb 2023, 09:48 in News Archive

Hi,

You might be interested in a programme airing tonight about waiting times for joint replacement surgery.

Title: NHS: Wait or Pay

Do feel able to comment on this programme if you wish to or to share your experience with others.

Thanks

Yvonne x

Comments

• Brynmor
    Brynmor Member Posts: 1,755
    Options

Did you watch BBC Panorama last night? Our research into the scale and immediate impacts of extended surgery waiting times for those in chronic pain shows that people waiting for joint replacement surgery are now having to bear a financial cost.

Half (54%) of people with arthritis waiting for surgery faced increased costs to manage their pain, paying up to £1,739 a year. This is unacceptable. While additional funding to tackle the backlog is welcome waits won't disappear overnight and people need support now.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,419
    Options

I watched it it made quite upsetting viewing to be honest.

Good to see VA mentioned on the programme. You can still watch it on the Iplayer.

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406
    Options

It’s all rather sad and shocking makes me really sad to think we are supposed to be one of the richest country’s what happened ?

💐💐😔

• Mike1
    Mike1 Member Posts: 1,992
    Options

What I can't get over is that there is such a long waiting list but if you go private you can have the operation within a few weeks with the same Consultant as you would have had in the NHS, this is totally wrong.

• Jona
    Jona Member Posts: 406
    Options

It seems unbelievable that they they want people back into work but they won’t help people get out of pain and I totally agree with @Mike1 it really does not make any sense

take care of yourselves everyone 😊❤️