New to site

Options
shonaarnold
shonaarnold Member Posts: 35
edited 19. May 2009, 04:26 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, I'm Shona and I've just been diagnosed with PA after over two years of problems which really were not taken seriously by my GP although there is a strong family history with my dad having RA, his sister also has RA, my daughter had reactive arthritis at the age of four and after her birth I myself had chronic psoriasis! Anyhow now I know what I am dealing with and I thought I was coping well but I think it is finally hitting me and I'm struggling. Have browsed this site and have already found lots of helpful information

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Shona,

Just wanted to say welcome and hope you find the site useful. If you post on the living with forum you should find some people can help you as more people will see it. Take care and Hi, Cris
  • shonaarnold
    Options
    Thanks, I can see from your posts this week that you've been having a tough time and I hope things soon improve for you. Its great to see how supportive everyone is on here

Take care

Shona
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Shona
    Funny how it takes a while to hit you isn't it? You battle for a diagnosis and then when it comes.....sledgehammer time!!
    Accept it over time Shona and let yourself be upset and be kind to yourself.
    We will be here if you need us
    Toni x
  • shonaarnold
    Options
    Hi Toni

Thanks for the message. I know that things will get better, just need to get back to hospital and get the meds sorted. Only had injection and meloxican for a start but my blood tests are ok for me to go onto some disease modifying drugs. I'm lucky that I know a bit about the dreaded arthur because of my dad, it is frghtening tho when I see him and how much he suffers.

Work is proving difficult at the moment and its so frustrating not to be able to do the simplest of things, it makes me really angry. Worst bit this week was not being able to wash my hair, I'm not 40 yet and have always been very independent but I guess I'm just going to have to accept that for the time being at least I'm gonna need a little bit of help! I'm a single parent with a teenage daughter and have had to ask her to help me do stuff, I feel so useless

Shona x
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Options
    Hi Shona
    Welcome to the site and please use the other forums when you can feel free to post all your moans and groans and feel free to join us in the chit chat room to to get to know the guys. Some GPs can be a bit slow on the diagnoses. Just a quick word on the Psoriasis most drugs for Ra will reduce you P i had it quite bad and hardley have any at all now so i know its a raw deal but hopfully it will help there. I have RA and PA i cope well most of the time but it can get you down. You never said what meds they put you on and have you been to see the Rheumy. As you know Ra can be up and down one day good the next so bad you feel dreadful. You will settle down and find ways to cope its just trial and error for a while. Take care and keep your chin up
    Colin
  • shonaarnold
    Options
    Thanks Colin

I'm trying to get back to hospital next week as last week was awful for me, sausage finger, swollen wrists, pain in every joint in my upper body and neck. Doing the simplest of things has seemed like a mammoth task! Not much sleep either. I've not been put on anything yet as they were waiting for my blood test results, I'm hoping that they will put me on some disease modifying therapy, in fact I'm going to ask them to. In a way I am fortunate that I have some knowledge of how these types of diseases behave and how they affect your life but it is also a bit scary when I look at my dad and how he suffers sometimes. He always remains positive and he and my mum have been fantastic and helped me no end.

Shona
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Shona
    I know what you mean about roping the kids in. When I had my back surgery I was a single parent to tow girls 8 and 5. The eldest had to help me in the bath and do socks and knickers over my feet. I think they don't really mind and then I got some bits and peices to help like sock putter-onerer and pick-up stick for knicks. :oops: :oops:
    Things will get better for you now - you'll get some meds and hopefully they will start to work and then you'll start to feel ijn control again.
    Your Dad sounds like a real help and it must be great to have him to talk to. He sounds like a postive role model too.
    Dis I just see your post on the chit chat??
    If so glad you're getting on the froums.
    I promise you it all helps :)
    Take care
    Toni x
  • shonaarnold
    Options
    Hi Toni

I'm feeling much better today after a really bad weekend. Got some co-dydromol from my dad! Everyone I have spoken to on here has been really positive and helpful. Some of the posts have made me crack up too, I love Colin's jokes and have even played guess the song so I'm getting the hang of it!

Told my dad about this site and he said he wishes there had been someting like this when he was diagnosed 15 years ago, I think he felt very lonely. He had a really hard time of it and it took a long time to get his meds sorted so he has massive bone and joint damage. He never moans, tells me he's not too bad when I know he's lying and is always there for me. He is a star!

Hope to speak to you again soon

Shona x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Shona
    Glad you're feeling more positive and in control. To me that's the main thing - when things are NOT in my control. Take the tablets (get your GP to give them to you) and keep AHEAD of that pain - don't wait for it to catch you up. It can be really hard to get rid of if you do.
    I saw you on guess the song - I've just put another one on. I can't really do it either, but who cares it's just a bit of fun :)
    You take care
    Toni x