nothing testing positive

wrenis
wrenis Member Posts: 35
Hello,
I'm hoping someone can provide some insight into my current condition. So far the tests for RA have come up negative, in fact nothing at has come up in blood work.
My symptoms have been off and on since the end of January. The symptoms came on very quickly (within a day) and affected my wrists and thumbs. I had absolutely no mobility and was in severe pain. Less than 2 days later my left knee and right shoulder had completely seized up.
The doc started me out on naproxen, which hurt my tummy. we moved on to indomethacin and T3's which helped slightly. Meanwhile the symptoms travelled around and attacked different joints at random. some days much worse than others.
In April I finally saw a rheumatologist, he put me on methotrexate, prednisone and hydroxyquine.
The symptoms had been getting milder during April, and after 1 week of taking this medication I felt almost normal again. That feeling lasted about 3 weeks. ( I stopped taking the medication because I was convinced it could not be the cause of my improvement. Research suggested that these meds could not help in that short amount of time). About 1 week ago I flared up again, mainly in my wrists and shoulder, mildly in my big toes ankles and knees.
If I do not have arthritis, does anyone have any idea what might be causing these flare ups? any suggestions as to how I should proceed? Are there external factors I should be considering? ie food, weather, water conditions, allergies???
I am a 37 yr old female with no other health issues, i am normally quite active (hiking, climbing etc).
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Wrenis,

Thanks for your enquiry. I'm afraid that you may have to get in touch with your rheumaotology nurse and they may want you back on those meds.

The prednisolone is the quick acting bit of your medication (so stopping it may be why you may have been feeling worse again), and the others need quite a long time to be effective.

As the rheumatologist has chosen hydroxycholoquinne as part of your meds I wonder if they suspect that you've got sero negative inflammatory arthritis. This condition tends to not show up very clearly in tests, but responds to the treatments.

Obviously takint treatments is your decision, but as many people will tell you on the forum, they can help you to get your life back (even if it takes time to get the treatments right.)

If you'd like some more information just email helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk and give us your name and postal address (it's a confidential service and we don't keep your details).

In the meantime taking omega 3 fish oils is proven to be safe and effective - average dailiy ammount is 3.5g
    http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/patpubs/6300/6300.asp

If you'd like to talk things over, you are always welcome to ring our freephone.

Guy
  • scanham
    scanham Member Posts: 14
    Hi there
    I am a 40 year old female and have just taken my 4th dose of methotrexate. I have had aches and pains in my hands over the last couple of years but was managable and did not need meds. However just the last fews months my severe pain hit me like a sledge hammer! All my fingers, thumbs, wrists,shoulders and toes (almost everywhere!!!) was affected. I could barely function well on a daily basis and work was difficult. Like you my bloods did not show up a great deal and was told my Rheumatoid factor was ok but am told I have a type of inflammatory arthritis which had flared up. I did not want to go on strong drugs but I have been told I now have no choice if I want to slow down the progression of the disease and feel like 'normal' again. I am on methotrexate and celebrex which is an anti inflam. 4 weeks down the line I was still very depressed as I have been in sooo much pain. However, just this last week I have seen quite a great improvement in my pain and joint stiffness and am hoping that the drugs are now kicking in. Your rheumatologist has prescribed them for a reason and I think you should consider getting back on them asap before you get even worse symptoms than before, then you will regret stopping them.
    take care
    Steph
    x
  • wrenis
    scanham wrote:
    Hi there
    I am a 40 year old female and have just taken my 4th dose of methotrexate. I have had aches and pains in my hands over the last couple of years but was managable and did not need meds. However just the last fews months my severe pain hit me like a sledge hammer! All my fingers, thumbs, wrists,shoulders and toes (almost everywhere!!!) was affected. I could barely function well on a daily basis and work was difficult. Like you my bloods did not show up a great deal and was told my Rheumatoid factor was ok but am told I have a type of inflammatory arthritis which had flared up. I did not want to go on strong drugs but I have been told I now have no choice if I want to slow down the progression of the disease and feel like 'normal' again. I am on methotrexate and celebrex which is an anti inflam. 4 weeks down the line I was still very depressed as I have been in sooo much pain. However, just this last week I have seen quite a great improvement in my pain and joint stiffness and am hoping that the drugs are now kicking in. Your rheumatologist has prescribed them for a reason and I think you should consider getting back on them asap before you get even worse symptoms than before, then you will regret stopping them.
    take care
    Steph
    x

my symptoms can come and go almost daily, so dont know what to do from one day to the next... some days my left knee.. right shoulder other days.. wrists in evenings.. big toes always cracking.. ankles always somewhat sore...fear of failure of all joints daily ( you never know)...
    but it never stays in one place for too long???
    is it the same for you (steph)? (or anyone else??)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Wrenis
    If I were you I woul put a post on the Living with Arthritis Forum and you should get a good response from people ther!
    Welcome from me by the way
    Toni x
  • scanham
    scanham Member Posts: 14
    Hi again

Over the last 9 months my pain was just like yours - it was very weird, it was like it was travelling around my body. One day I could have it im my right hndand b the morning i would be gone but then in my left hand!!!! Really bizarre as it never stayed in the same joint for very long. However, as I say over the few months my pains have changed and now stay for most of the time in most of my joints!! :cry: Trying to be positive and hoping the meds will kick in before too long.

take care
    Steph
    x
  • wrenis
    thanks for all the feedback... :)
    one of my docs said maybe what is causing the symptoms was due to a virus... and to pray it would all go away..
    is this possible or should i be preparing for something more long term??
  • wrenis
    ps thanks SO much steph.. i hope you feel better soon. let's keep in touch. :)
    sounds like we're in the same boat, well, sort of. have you done any research into food triggers yet? if not, that's something i'm looking into now.. that and allergies.
    my doc is really good, so we'll see. thanks again. :)
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Dear Wrenis,

As you particularly mentioned food I thought you'd be interested that a diet rich in fruit and veg but less red meat / rich food is proven to reduce inflammation mildly - also taking omega 3 fish oil supplements is also proven to be safe and reduce the need for painkillers (but bigger daily amount - average dose 3.5g per day - than previously thought.)

Best source of detailed information on diet see the book 'Diet and Arthritis' by Dr Gail Darlington (ISBN 0091785774) she's one of the key sources for our own booklet 'Healthy Eating and Arthritis'

Hope that helps

Guy
  • wrenis
    oh boy, i just had a rib steak for dinner.
    thanks for your help guy, i really appreciate your feedback and the website. :)
  • theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    I too am also 37 and sero negative and have been for 3 years yet I have all the clinical signs of RA and have been officially diagnosed as having RA now rather than inflamatory arthritis. It is frustrating as you feel like you are a fake. Some days I cant walk and need help up and down stairs. Even some days I need help getting dressed. I am now on Anti TNf as well as MTX which was a real upset for me as I hated the idea of taking drugs. I have a healthy diet with fresh fruit veg and only chicken and fish so that does not seem to help either. The prednisone will help immediatley as I have a depo which gives me virtual instant relief but it is short lived and is only to put you on until your other meds have got a grip. Please dont ignore what your rheumy tells you as just because your bloods are clear does not mean its not arthritis. Hope things get better for you
    Theresa x :D
    wrenis wrote:
    Hello,
    I'm hoping someone can provide some insight into my current condition. So far the tests for RA have come up negative, in fact nothing at has come up in blood work.
    My symptoms have been off and on since the end of January. The symptoms came on very quickly (within a day) and affected my wrists and thumbs. I had absolutely no mobility and was in severe pain. Less than 2 days later my left knee and right shoulder had completely seized up.
    The doc started me out on naproxen, which hurt my tummy. we moved on to indomethacin and T3's which helped slightly. Meanwhile the symptoms travelled around and attacked different joints at random. some days much worse than others.
    In April I finally saw a rheumatologist, he put me on methotrexate, prednisone and hydroxyquine.
    The symptoms had been getting milder during April, and after 1 week of taking this medication I felt almost normal again. That feeling lasted about 3 weeks. ( I stopped taking the medication because I was convinced it could not be the cause of my improvement. Research suggested that these meds could not help in that short amount of time). About 1 week ago I flared up again, mainly in my wrists and shoulder, mildly in my big toes ankles and knees.
    If I do not have arthritis, does anyone have any idea what might be causing these flare ups? any suggestions as to how I should proceed? Are there external factors I should be considering? ie food, weather, water conditions, allergies???
    I am a 37 yr old female with no other health issues, i am normally quite active (hiking, climbing etc).
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

I
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx