Hello - New to this site and RA

katat1
katat1 Bots Posts: 43
edited 29. May 2009, 10:02 in Say Hello Archive
Hi,
Just wanted to say hello. I found this site today and have browsed the forums and I know I will find lots of advice and support here. I hope in time I will be able to offer the same to future Newbies.

Recently diagnosed with early RA and have been fortunate to get an appointment with a very experienced rheumatologist within a short time of being referred by my GP.

Taking MTX, Hydroxychloroquine and Dicloflex for 5 weeks now and they seem to be helping, though I did have a steroid jab at the beginning which may be what is working for now while the drugs get a chance to kick in. Last blood tests show the ESR, ALT and CRP numbers have improved already and I am not having any side effects from the meds.

Vit D level was low and I was told this could make the pain worse and is also very common. I did not come across this when browsing today so just thought I would mention it in case others here are like me and did not know about this?

Best wishes to all
K

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Katat

Welcome to the forum. Great news that you have found a good, sympathetic rheumi. It makes all the difference doesn't it?

Thanks for mentioning about Vit D. This was mentioned on a thread fairly recently and peeps on here were interested.

Hope to see your name around the forum,

Look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • katat1
    Hi Elna,
    Thank you for the welcome.
    You are absolutely right - a good rheumatolgist makes a huge difference. Not just in helping me to understand the RA and the treatment but also confidence in that it can be managed well. It helps me to keep a positive attitude.
    Unfortunately the nurse I have been assigned to, though pleasant enough, does none of those things. She always seems to be in a hurry to get through the session so I feel rushed and unsure of what to ask or what she has said in response to a question. Some of what she says is misleading at times. She wrote and said that blood tests showed my vitamin D to be 'very low' and in the letter said 'this may contribute to, or indeed account for your symptoms'.
    I took that to mean that it might not be RA after all but when I spoke to her to ask if I should continue the RA meds she completely back tracked and said that was not what she meant. I then asked how low my vitamin D level was and she said 'borderline normal'
    She said normal was 40+ and mine was 38.
    So I have no confidence in the nurse at all, which makes it even more important that the consultant is so good.

I looked for the Vit D thread on here and somebody else had the same uncertainty as to whether it was RA or Vit D deficiency but I couldn't find anything further.

Thanks again for responding to my first intro message. It meant a lot to get a reply!

See you around and take care too.
    K
    x

Welcome to the forum. Great news that you have found a good, sympathetic rheumi. It makes all the difference doesn't it?

Thanks for mentioning about Vit D. This was mentioned on a thread fairly recently and peeps on here were interested.

Hope to see your name around the forum,

Look after yourself,

Elna x[/quote]
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    hi and welcome to the forum it is so good to have a good rhoumatolagist who under stands also this site is very good and very supportive hope to see you more on sit joanne i have Ra also
    Joanne
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hello K
    Just thought i would drop you a line and say welcome to the site.
    Colin
  • katat1
    hi and welcome to the forum it is so good to have a good rhoumatolagist who under stands also this site is very good and very supportive hope to see you more on sit joanne i have Ra also

Hi Joanne,

Thank you for your welcome! I am already finding the site really helpful, lots of very informative posts.

Sorry to hear you have RA. Have you had it long and how are you doing? I have been fortunate in that mine was disgnosed early and treatment started quickly. My rheumatlogist is great - she really listens and discusses all aspects, doesn't treat me like a statistic but as a person. I am sure that is what helps me stay optimistic and positive. I hope yours is a good one too?
    Kindest regards,
    K :D
  • katat1
    colinone wrote:
    Hello K
    Just thought i would drop you a line and say welcome to the site.
    Colin

Hi Colin,
    Many thanks for the welcome!
    Kindest regards,
    K