Anyone work in retail ???

topgirl
topgirl Member Posts: 290
I work for a large womens clothing store and finding it difficult to continue.
I have spoke to my area manager about doing more tasks in the store which involve me sitting down,but she has said there isnt any( even tho i know that there is).
does anyone have any tips on staying in a job where you are on your feet all day?

Comments

• eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Exactly as scottishlass said. You have a right to be assessed to see if adjustments can be made for you.
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Exactly, as the other two ladies have said - research this and then tell them off :-)

And let us know how you get on

Nx
  • topgirl
    i have given my boss a copy of 'the employers guide'..and said that she would look at it....she also said that i should feel pleased that i can get a blue badge....CHARMING....
    She also makes me go to all my hospital check ups and blood tests in my own time.....
    Anyhow HR are coming to see me soon...( after i rang them in tears as i couldnt cope)...but i think he only thing they will do is offer me a ' disabled' chair for the till...but who knows....
    Thanks for all your advice.
  • ninakang
    topgirl wrote:
    i have given my boss a copy of 'the employers guide'..and said that she would look at it....she also said that i should feel pleased that i can get a blue badge....CHARMING....
    She also makes me go to all my hospital check ups and blood tests in my own time.....
    Anyhow HR are coming to see me soon...( after i rang them in tears as i couldnt cope)...but i think he only thing they will do is offer me a ' disabled' chair for the till...but who knows....
    Thanks for all your advice.

Erm Topgirl, I would make a complaint against your manager for making a comment like that - how DARE she say you should be pleased you can get a blue badge now? As if the people who need them wouldn't rather have the mobility! And even if they didn't she has no right to say things like that!

If you don't make a complaint, at least tell her she's being very offensive, please. She's WELL out of order.

Nx
  • topgirl
    She is difficult to work for....
    Theres a lot of huffing and puffing when i say i cant do a task....
    It makes me feel worse and giving up....
    But im not going to give them the satisfaction of leaving...ive worked for the company for 25 years!!!!
    If i complain she might make things worse for me......
    Thanks
  • ninakang
    It smacks of bullying and intimidation to me, that does. I know it's OK for me to say these things because I don't have to work there, but you should start keeping a log of when your manager behaves this way and what she says and how it made you feel.

Seeing it written down on paper sometimes gives the incentive to do something about it. You must be good at your job, how else could you have survived 25 years there? You sound like someone who works hard and tries their best and that's the kind of employee they should be bending over backwards to keep.

But keep coming on here to talk to us about it too.

Nx
  • topgirl
    I will !!!!
    I think i will bring up her attitude with my meeting with HR...
    I will let you know how i get on...
    Thanks
    Kay
  • ninakang
    You go for it, Kay! If your HR department are even half decent, they will take this very seriously.

I manage a team of people and I would never dream of treating any of them like that.

Nx
  • justinbarrow
    justinbarrow Member Posts: 338
    topgirl wrote:
    i have given my boss a copy of 'the employers guide'..and said that she would look at it....

They should already know the rules and regulations given their job role as manager

I hope it works out for you - Its not fair to stay on your feet when you have this condition its easy to judge when you dont have something wrong with you - It would be nice to say here have this for a few hours and let them experiance the pain and discomfort you are going through (they will soon realise how bad it is)

Keep us posted
  • eckstardeluxe
    Disability Discrimination if you ask me. What right as Nina said did she have to make a comment about your blue badge. She has no right under the law to make such comments. She is on very dangerous ground here. First step, grievance, informal, you will both be asked to go into a room with a mediator to settle this, second stage formal. You can decline the mediation if this makes you uncomfortable as long as it is reported to another manager or similar. Don't be frightened, she may not know what she is doing is discrimination.

Write every little thing like that down, no matter how insignificant you may believe it to be. It all counts when it's time to kick off at them. I suggest you ask for an OT referral immediately. If this is refused, ask for the response in writing and advise you have sought independent advice and been advised this is your right. If she asks who, advise that is none of her business, because it isn't.

If you do not get assessed and need time off work, under the law if an employer cannot make reasonable adjustments as required by the DDA, they cannot expect you to work in an unsafe enviroment and your leave should be paid. You do need to get advice ASAP, try CAB, they are terrific.

But the law is on your side, be confident when dealing with your Employers. If the situation worsens, understand they will likely know they are wrong but want you to think what they tell you is right. When you handle these matters confidently they will become aware quickly that you are now aware of your rights. This may make them back off as has happened with a couple posters on this part of the Forum. Good luck x

By the way, checkout operator, would this be a a big chain? You don't need to answer this, but if so, you've got a fab case for proceeding if the worst came to it. And by the way, don't give up, it's what they want, that length of service and the possibility of a tribunal will have them sh*tting bricks.
  • topgirl
    Wow thanks for all your support so far....am feeling better already.
    Yes i work for a massive company....My duties include Till work, fitting room duties , climbing ladders for shoes and putting out stock...not brilliant if you have RA is it...But like most people i need the money!
    When i first started i did a lot more of the office jobs and have asked my area manager if i could spend part of my day doing this again...she said no. However the pregnant deputy manager does these tasks....and i have asked that when she goes on mat leave i could them...again no...but i know other staff the same grade as me do these tasks in other stores...its upsetting..
    She has offered a ' disabled chair '( for till and fitting room) but i know in practice that this wont work....also they might as well put a sticker on my saying ' this person is disabled'....i would find it a bit humiliating....but should i give it a go?
    Last time i saw HR ( RA hadnt been diagnosed at this point) i felt a bit intimidated....she just said..'we can try and help but we still need the job doing'......and that was it...
    My Manager has admitted that she 'forgets' my RA and i need to tell her if im feeling ill......is this right?...as you know people with RA feel ill and are in pain most of the time!....i think she has an 'out of site..out of mind attitude'.....
    I have been a good employee....25 years service and my last aprasil grade was 'very good'....
    Any how i have a feelin HR are just goin to turn up without giving me warning....so i want to get everything ready in advance....
    What questions should i be asking and what things should i say....I am really nervous....im not in a union....
    Thanks
  • ninakang
    Hiya

It's OK to feel nervous, I'm sure most people would feel the same in your situation. As for questions, what you've put in your last post is the kind of questions you should be putting to HR - someone else might have something else to add, but I think you've covered it there. Write yourself a list based on that.

Also, if you're not in a union, perhaps now's the time to think about joining one? If you can't take a union member, you can take an informed friend or colleague (family members tend to get emotional, but you might have a family member who isn't).

You could also try contacting HR to make an appointment rather than them just turning up which isn't fair on you, really. If they take the attitude "We still need the work done" point out that you DO want to do the work, but they just need to make some adjustments so you can.

And keep us informed :-) We're all here for you.

Nx
  • topgirl
    Thanks....i will make a list..and maybe i will join usdaw. I have legal expenses covered by my house insurance so if things get tricky i could speak to someone there....
    At our meetings you can only take a work collegue...and most people are too scared of our AM to come in...but im proud to say that i have always supported my collegues!!!
  • sweenyuk
    sweenyuk Member Posts: 15
    I used to work in Retail and had to take early retirement. I have more issues though than arthritis as I have had major bowel surgery as well. Anyway after my last op I have just never recovered and could not stand all day, but also was unable to sit at a desk. 2 years later I had imrpoved and I returned to work by finding a part time job in a call centre. This gave me the customer contact, that is my main strength but from an office. I have now been working for 7 years, still get my DLA and Pension on top of my current salary, so am close to the wage I had to give up. I am now in a wheelchair so will never return to retail, but intend working as long as possible
  • topgirl
    Gosh...you really have had a rough time....
    Retail really isnt a good job to be in is it....
    At least you are in a job now that you find managable....its good to hear....
    Its got me thinking thats maybe what i need to do....
    and maybe re-train....mmmmm
    thanks
    Kay
  • eckstardeluxe
    Hi again

I have a special chair, it was made to measure as I am only 5ft. It was made for me because I had Osteomyelitis as a child and suffered horrendous back pain not realising I was actually in the advanced stages of OA. It cost them nearly 3k but I can tell you now it is the best chair I've ever sat in, after falling though my coffee table at home recently and getting signed off, I asked them if I could have my chair but was not allowed :(

Don't worry about people realising it's different, it's nothing to be embarrassed about. The main thing is you want to be comfy at work. I sit all day at a desk and am allowed 10 minutes per hour to get up and walk around in addition to comfort breaks and my usual breaks. I can take these at will and it is in writing that no-one interferes with this.

It's a good sign if they want to give you these items, it means they have realised you need them and under the DDA they are required to provide them if cost efficient. Working for a large chain this is highly likely as will benefit someone else if you leave.
  • topgirl
    Thanks for mentioning about the chair....you are right and i am willing to try anything to keep working...
    im sorry about your fall....are you ok.. :?:
  • eckstardeluxe
    topgirl wrote:
    Thanks for mentioning about the chair....you are right and i am willing to try anything to keep working...
    im sorry about your fall....are you ok.. :?:

Hi, thanks for asking. Yes, I was very bad at first, I have something called spinal stenosis where the nerve canal is severely narrowed meaning my sciatic nerve is constantly being pinched. It causes numbness and severe sciatica. I came home and you know how you get into your comfy clothes? Well I was in the living room wriggling out my jeans and as they got to my knees my left leg went dead and I just decked it right through the table. I forced a laugh as my 1 and 3 year old were there. But after my left side was very sore and they gave me extra drugs. I asked for a week to let them work but the Doc said no, he wants me seen at the Pain Clinic first, which is Wednesday, after a 5 month wait!

My Manager and her manager came out to the house to see me. They know my history so have always been very supportive. But I was shocked that they didn't want me back either! They said they'd rather I had 1 long illness and got better than loads of little ones. I am lucky I work for a very reputable employer but they are keen to make you aware of your rights. This is why I get so angry when I read stories like yours because your Employer should be doing the same. I hope things go well for you, but you will always get good advice here.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    where i work is a family buisness and they r great to work 4 :D foot was swollen couple of months back they not only got me a stool so sit on but got one of lads to give me a lift home as its a small shop i get to choose which jobs i do on which day this is great because if having bad day find something to do sat down. mind u still have to cope with customers and quite a bit of writing involved (which is getting worse and worse) good luck used to work 4 large shop years ago and they were awfull to work 4 :cry:
    val
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Hi Topgirl! (wonder which shop you work for!) I too work in retail - I run a large beauty counter on my own within a large high street chemist & my name could give away which company I work for too!
    Yes I have been unable to work since mid Jan as my hip has deteriorated over last year & am on list now for new one. My manager & the store management say they cannot make any adjustments to enable me to be there & as you know, I can see their point.
    I have worked for the company for ten years & my family agree that I am probably going to have to leave but I am going to see how am after op first.
    Pen x
  • eckstardeluxe
    penfactor wrote:
    Hi Topgirl! (wonder which shop you work for!) I too work in retail - I run a large beauty counter on my own within a large high street chemist & my name could give away which company I work for too!
    Yes I have been unable to work since mid Jan as my hip has deteriorated over last year & am on list now for new one. My manager & the store management say they cannot make any adjustments to enable me to be there & as you know, I can see their point.
    I have worked for the company for ten years & my family agree that I am probably going to have to leave but I am going to see how am after op first.
    Pen x

Hi Pen, have they assessed you first and did the assesment say they couldn't make the adjustments? If so what were there reasons? Did you get this in writing? I'm pretty sure I know who you are talking about and would find it amazing if I'm right they could prove that they went out of their way to help you which is what a Tribunal will want to know. It doesn't have to be the same job role, it can be something totally different, as long as it can accomodate your illness. Shorter hours etc can be considered. Definitely worth taking advice over, don't agree to anything before you're absolutely certain that they are acting within the law.
  • topgirl
    Its not Topshop!!!!...That is part of the same group tho...so yes its BIG!!!!.......
    :shock:
    I had to ring HR to tell them of my diagnosis and because my Manager didnt realise that it was important.....
    HR said they would send of for a new docs report....but 6 weeks down the line they havnt....( theres nothing for my GP)
    After a really bad Saturday....8 hrs on my feet , during which time My Man and Dep both Sat upstairs and did Admin tasks( which i am trained to do but they dont give me...) I rang my area Manager who wasnt that helpful....In the end ,because i was in such a state she said she would visit with HR....but it hasnt happened yet...Is it my job to chase them up...im sick of it......
    My area manager has said im not a high enough level to do Admin....funny that...seeing as i know people the same level as me who do...and that was the job i came to do in the first place!!!!
    Dont they realise the extra stress they are causing me....
    They have not offered me an assessment....but im damm well going to insist on one !!!!!........
    Eckstardelux...How do you cope with 2 little ones....My heart gos out to you........
  • topgirl
    Ive just sussed out who PenFactor works for!!!!!( we could trn this into a game!!!!)....im beginning to think the big fat cats who have wads of cash dont care and its the small employers who care more....I would see the CAB Pen......
  • ninakang
    Topgirl

You keep on at them and keep pointing out that it's always you who has to chase them up - that's not looking after your welfare at work, is it? As always, keep a record of all your conversations and even when you leave messages for them.

I have 3 little ones aged 10, 7 and 5 and work full tim - how do we manage? Like everyone else does or did, with a bit of luck and organisation!

Nx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Hi Topgirl

I manage quite well, it's just one of those things you just have to get on with. My worst time is morning. I cannot walk or move for about 2 hours after getting up due to the sciatica. I set my alarm for 5am, take my meds and sit on the floor with my TENS on. Sometimes I am crawling around and crying it's so bad but I'd rather get up early than the kids see me like this. After the meds work, I can move around but still have some pain.

I think the thing I feel the worst about, is due to my kidney and spinal issues through my life I was advised not to have children. They said the pregnancies accelerated the OA and caused the stenosis and bulging discs to advance to the point they were inoperable. I hate knowing that the thing I am most proud of in my life caused me to be this way. But I'd do it all again for them.

Actually I put in a grievance about a colleague last year. She said on hearing I'd been signed off and admitted to Hospital "it's her own fault, she was told not to have kids" :x Someone brought it to my attention, it was hearsay but both people who heard it wrote witness statements and the person was disciplined. But that just shows you how bad minded people can be. By the way, it's your Employer's job to find you suitable work, not yours, you don't need to chase them up, it could cause you even more stress but if you do just write down the action you have already taken and get an appointment at CAB. The longer they take the better it is for you if you want to pursue it legally.