DSA

controversial
controversial Member Posts: 24
edited 10. Jun 2009, 05:53 in Young people's community
Hey,
I'm going to university to study law in September, and so have just applied for DSA due to suspected rheumatoid arthritis.

I was wondering what other people asked for, or got?
Especially in relation to travel expenses.

I live a 4 hour train ride away from uni, and have to visit the hospital twice a week for physio. This will fit in with my timetable, but will cost over a grand in train tickets.

Or, I can drive, which takes an hour. However, I'd need help paying to run a car, as I wouldn't be taking one otherwise, I wouldn't be able to afford too.

Gah, this is no fun :(

Comments

• theresa4
    theresa4 Member Posts: 696
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I recieved DSA when I did my degree with OU but it isnt easy to get so get as much supporting documents from your rheumy/doc etc.. You might be as well to see whether you could have physio in a hospital near to where you are at uni as I dont think they pay travel expenses although I could be wrong. Its worth exploring all these avenues now. Good luck with the DSA and your studies xx
    Theresa x
    :D
    Hey,
    I'm going to university to study law in September, and so have just applied for DSA due to suspected rheumatoid arthritis.

I was wondering what other people asked for, or got?
    Especially in relation to travel expenses.

I live a 4 hour train ride away from uni, and have to visit the hospital twice a week for physio. This will fit in with my timetable, but will cost over a grand in train tickets.

Or, I can drive, which takes an hour. However, I'd need help paying to run a car, as I wouldn't be taking one otherwise, I wouldn't be able to afford too.

Gah, this is no fun :(
    There are many things in life that will catch your eye, but only a few will catch your heart...pursue those. --Michael Nolan

Theresa xxx
  • scattered
    scattered Member Posts: 326
    They won't pay travel expenses as they are not related to your ability to study.

I got DSA for RA in my second year. I was given a book allowence to spend on books that I might get from the library if I was able to go to the library. You're not allowed to spend in on core texts though. I got a digital voice recorder, a new laptop, voice recognition software, money to pay for someone to cover my extra time in exams, money for a notetaker, a book stand and personal ergonomic computer chair.

Good luck. You'll have to send evidence that you have RA - letters from your RD/GP.
  • controversial
    controversial Member Posts: 24
    scattered wrote:
    They won't pay travel expenses as they are not related to your ability to study.

I got DSA for RA in my second year. I was given a book allowence to spend on books that I might get from the library if I was able to go to the library. You're not allowed to spend in on core texts though. I got a digital voice recorder, a new laptop, voice recognition software, money to pay for someone to cover my extra time in exams, money for a notetaker, a book stand and personal ergonomic computer chair.

Good luck. You'll have to send evidence that you have RA - letters from your RD/GP.

The DSA book says 'reasonable travel costs'. I think it's only been introduced recently, as I can't find anyone who has had them, and they would really help me out. I need to travel home twice a week for physio, and thats either a three hour train journey or 40 mins in the car....

Thanks very much, though, your answer has been really helpful. I've sent a copy of my sick note (3 months off for RA), and a letter from my doctor, so that should be enough, right?