Glucosamine,Chondroitin & MSM with Omega 3-6-9

autumn
autumn Member Posts: 4
edited 16. Jun 2009, 09:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All

Has anybody tried or is on Glucoamine,Chondroitin & MSM with Omega 3-6-9 and did it help?

If so it would be great to hear from you.

Comments

• sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    autumn wrote:
    Hi All

Has anybody tried or is on Glucoamine,Chondroitin & MSM with Omega 3-6-9 and did it help?

I've been taking glucosamine since January 2007. To be honest I'm hoping it helps as I take it everyday. I suppose only an x-ray would tell. I'm afraid to stop taking it! My doctor said that it has been proven to help people with arthritis. The test would be not to take it and then see.
    Maybe someone out there may have the answer.
    Good luck.
  • newark
    newark Member Posts: 32
    autumn wrote:
    Hi All

Hi,

I take the Gloucos and chondroit. I used to take the MsM but found it didn't really do a lot for me, but everyones different. with regards to the Omega 3-6-9. While you need Omega 3 and 6 I was told by a nutritionist that 9 can lead to calcium being leeched from bones so people with joint problems shouldn't really take it. Please don't take my word on this as it was just one comment - worth looking into though?

I swear by the Gloucosamin and Chondroitin, can certainly feel it if I run out. The chewable ones are much beeter than trying to swallow horse pills too!
  • autumn
    Thank you all for your replies

Can any of you remember how long it took for you to notice a difference?

What feelings did you have eg: inflammation,stinging,stiffness and have now eased off,gone by taking Glucoamine etc?
  • gettinby
    gettinby Member Posts: 29
    I take the Gluco and it deff helps with the swelling and muscles, therein relieving some of the pain.
    You have to take it for at least 3 months before you feel it kicking in but IMO it's good gear, it's natural with no side effects .
    I have to agree the horse tablets are hard to get down but they were on offer at Holland and Barret and as they can be a wee bit expensive, the size was easier to swallow than the price.
    All the best
  • mazza1961
    mazza1961 Member Posts: 4
    When I was waiting for my hip op 2 years ago I use to take Glucosamine tablets, think it was 500mgs twice a day and yes it did help with the pain but not with the disabling effects of range of movement. Stopped taking it after my hip op.

2 years down the line and was getting increasing pain in right shoulder, lower spine and left knee so thought would try Glucosamine, Chondroitin &MSM Complex which is in fruit flavoured syrup form from holland and barrett. After only 2 weeks, seem to be improvement in right shoulder and lower spine, but left knee still painful but will continue and see if it helps more.
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    interesting thread this!

I was at the physio department this morning having a massaging treatment on my shoulders/neck.

The lady giving me the treatment also has 'a bit of arthritis' (her words!) and says that she has noticed a lot of improvement since she began taking glucosamin. She also said it had helped give her more energy- apparently it is a natural stimulent too and means she doesn't need as much sleep ..... not sure if I need that part of the mix!!

She suggested i ask my GP about it, but she did also say that the dose we take really makes a difference to the results. She was of the opinion that 1500mg a day was the dose that would do the trick.

I will let you know when I've seen my gp next week and asked her about it.
  • autumn
    Thank you very much for all the replies.

It would be great to hear any more,experiences,thoughts and advice with the Glucosamine etc as it all seems good at the moment :D .
  • leighinmohr
    leighinmohr Member Posts: 2
    I don't like taking tablets at all and looked for alternatitives.

Anthony

Post edited with ref to house rule 2
    2: References to commercial companies and services

We have no problem with users recommending products or services to each other. We all do this in everyday conversation. What we believe users do NOT want is to be sold things directly or indirectly in the forum. Deciding when this line is crossed is sometimes difficult and our moderators just have to make a judgement on occasions.

YEH
  • sindrella1
    sindrella1 Member Posts: 1
    Post deleted as it is a direct selling advert for an internet site, as the site is in the USA it is probably not relevant to us anyway.

YEH
  • airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Hi,
    I take Glucosamine, they do help but are only a part of a pill 'regime'. Sometimes I just get fed up of taking pills......

8) Its a grin, honest!
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi take gluosamine/chond from doc says it will help so will take and hope dont know how bad it would be if not taking also look at diet advice pinapple good anti inflam food lots more u can try every little helps good luck
    val
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,900
    Hello Autumn.
    Ive been taken glu and chon and ginger for a fortnight i have not noticed anything yet i was told you have to take them for 6 week's.
    mine are fizzy tablet's you put in water as i have trouble swollowing tabs.i could hardly walk from the pain in my back and leg's so i went in boot's the chemist and saw them.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Hi
    I am taking similar things and I am hoping they work. Having just had some injections, it's difficult to say.

Trouble is, it gets expensive buying these things all the time.
    I get a lot of my omega 3 from fish and I eat loads of that.

joyful