How long before returning to work after THR?

cupcake74
cupcake74 Member Posts: 10
Now have a date for my THR. I'm a teacher and only 31 and wondered how long I should expect to be off work after my operation. Would be great to hear from anyone who has gone through the same thing.

Comments

• miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi im 27 and a teacher and also awaiting a THR, i have been told to expect 10 weeks off after the surg. I teach Science and apparently wont be able to do the practcal aspects until then - well so say occ health.
    x
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi
    Most information says some jobs you can go back after 6 weeks, if a sedentary type job. However, if you have a most physical job 3 months. I have recently gone back to work at 14 weeks post op and I am a community nurse/health visitor. Realistically, I would not have coped at 6 weeks. Driving is a big part of my job and I found getting in and out of the car uncomfortable at that stage.
    However, we are all different, and if you are able to rest regularly, walk about to keep joints moving regulary and just listen to your body.....
    I still get stiffness in back/hips if sitting dor long periods, driving for longer journeys can cause discomfort but both are eased with movement/walking.
    Your surgeon will advise you at your post op review, and you can get some idea of his guidelines at your pre op check.
    I am doing a phased return with reduced hours to start, so luckily do not feel too tired after work. But if I had done this at 6 weeks I think it would have been a different story. Don`t rush back too soon! Give your body time to heal.
    Good luck with your surgery.
    NB
  • collettem
    collettem Member Posts: 94
    Hi, I am three months post op and hope to be able to go back to work at the end of June and I have a mixture of desk/driving job. Was meant to go back this week but had a little hic up so delayed another two weeks
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    hi all i had a new shoulder op in 07 i was off 8 months . i had flare up after flare up after my op had metal plate put in and torn muscles repaired its up to the indivdual i think and what job u do youll no when the right time to go back im still on reduced part time hours 16 hours a wk its enough i wprk in a busy petrol st as a cashier .
  • gilldenny
    gilldenny Member Posts: 1
    cupcake74 wrote:
    Now have a date for my THR. I'm a teacher and only 31 and wondered how long I should expect to be off work after my operation. Would be great to hear from anyone who has gone through the same thing.

Hi I have just had my second THR on 1 June this year. I am aged 50 and have had the Birmingham hip replacement. The first THR was last year on 17 March and I returned to work on 1 June. I work in a call centre and found that after being at home and moving around the sitting down meant that my muscles siezed up a bit after a day at work. This time I am hopefully going back earlier but initially on a part-time basis. You don't mention what sort of a teacher you are, I would recommend that you have a full sized chair if you work with small children or you will never get off your seat!!! On a positive note you will feel so much better following your operation, this time round I was only in 36 hours due to the new fast track process. I hope all goes well.
    Gill :)
  • masaka
    masaka Member Posts: 47
    cupcake74 wrote:

Hi,

I am a teacher as well. I had my op on the 6th May and went back for a few hours during the last week of term. I then had a phased reintroduction for 6 weeks when I returned doing 4 or 4 and a half days.

I have got RA as well, so I have, and am finding it quite hard.

People do not seem to understand that it takes about a year to fully recover from a major op.

Hope that is of use.

Teresa