half pay question

markc1
markc1 Member Posts: 253
Am i right in thinking if an employer places you on half pay they have to inform you in writing?
During my second stage grievance today the subject came up and the union and myself told the dep. gov that this had happened and i had not been told i had triggered half pay,her face was a picture!but where do we go with it? is it just more ammo or what do i do?
Any advice 'cos this must have happened to someone else? :roll:

Comments

• ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Mark,

The way I've always understood it, it depends on the employer and what their policies are. Do you have an employee handbook you can refer to?

I may be wrong though, will be interesting to see what others have to say on this.

Nx
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Hi
    I have recently returned to work after 12 month on sick. I work for NHS and got 6months full pay and 6 months half pay as per sickness absence policy. I was not notified in writing , but was aware from checking the policy myself. I was eligible for ESA when my SSP ran out which was around the same time as going on half pay. Although ESA is only about £60 per week though.
    Good luck.
    NB
  • markc1
    I'm investigating further,will keep you posted :!:
  • petmad
    petmad Member Posts: 252
    Hi Mark, I work for the local authority, I got a letter prior to my being put on 1/2 pay, I would hope this is the norm and that it will give you more leverage in your case. Best of luck. Linda
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    HI I'm county council, and went on half pay a couple of months back, but wasn't informed when it would happen, although it is clearly stated in my contract and Staff Handbook, so I was expecting it. If its out of the blue I don't know the rules. Sue
  • markc1
    Its clearly stated in the staff handbook you should be informed in writing...just another thing they made a boo boo with! :!:
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi , Thinking about it, I remember being called into a meeting with my manager and someone from HR and that was discussed and it was in a written notice I had of what was said. Sorry seen so many people and told so much, its hard to remember it all. :? Love Sue