First Job.

katherine810
katherine810 Member Posts: 67
I've just started a job in a kitchen. Basically I have to clear tables, bring out food, dry up, that kind of thing..

It was really difficult last week, and i could hardly walk by the end of the day, and was in an enormous amount of pain the next day but the other girls working there said it'll get easier...

Nobody knows about my RA yet...

I put it on a form under : Medical conditions/allergies but they haven't looked through it yet i don't think...

I'm little worried about what they'll say when they find out... Will they be annoyed that they employed me thinking i was perfectly healthy? They didn't ask... they just presumed..

I think i'll be able to cope, i'm working shorter hours from now on 12.30-5.30 which should be fine on a good day, but on a bad day I think i might struggle...

It's really hard to find jobs for young teenagers as it is.... On top having arthritis i don't want to it to go against me...

I just want a little bit of extra money to go out with my friends and such...

Any help, advice would be great :)

Love,
Katherine x

Comments

• harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Katherine, i do feel for you, its hard enough coping with this without trying to "fit in", but i think if your employer states that they are an equal oportunities employer, then they are oblieged by law to employ without being bias... maybe have a word with the CAB, i am sure they would be able to cover any doubts that may be worrying you, take care Katherine, and dont let em get to you, and DONT over do it...keep us posted, all the best Sally.x
  • achealot
    achealot Member Posts: 22
    Hi Katherine810

sorry to hear you're suffering at work.
    have you ever thought about re-training for a better job thats easier on the body.
    dont mean to sound like an old man but don't leave it to late to train for a better job like i've done, I was a builder until 3 years ago I'm now 39 and want to retrain for job a I can cope with but just cant find a course or the help I need to find a job.

Best of luck

Brendan x
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    achealot wrote:
    Hi Katherine810

sorry to hear you're suffering at work.
    have you ever thought about re-training for a better job thats easier on the body.
    dont mean to sound like an old man but don't leave it to late to train for a better job like i've done, I was a builder until 3 years ago I'm now 39 and want to retrain for job a I can cope with but just cant find a course or the help I need to find a job.

Best of luck

Brendan x
    listen ere Brendan, i'm 39 too...what are you saying that we are scrap heap fodder??!!!! :wink:
    Sally.
  • achealot
    Hi sally
    I'm sure you're not old fodder it's just the way I feel when i'm looking for a job . I'm sure you're a very good looking 39 year old :lol:
    I've always looked old I was going grey at 18 :(

Brendan x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello

If you're 'old foder' I don't know what that makes me way, way over the hill. I'm 53 nearly 54, so I've really over the hill!!!!! :(
    Hey, but then I have OA which, as we all know is wear and tear etc.
    Anyway, all I have to say is that its not easy finding a job that is easy on the body. I am a former secretary, who gave up to do care work, now I'm about to be retired early as my hands have oa and my spine too.

All I would say to you young things is to think of the type of work you want to do and see if you can find a way to do it without hurting yourself. :) Hours sitting can be hell, so can standing and walking all day long. Find out from the Jobcentre disability employment advisors what they have on offer. Ask your doctors what is the best thing for you. Employers can get grants to put in equipment that is usable for your disability.ie. desks & chairs, computer equipment. I think what I'm saying is look at the job, not your disability and then find ways of doing it. :shock: Heavy care work, is may be not an option, but lots of other things are. Ok I'll stop ranting on now. With my love and best wishes to find whats right for you. Sue :)
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    If you put it on the form then it's their error for not checking. It makes no difference anyway because you would likely be covered under the DDA and they cannot take any action against you because of your disability. I know how hard it is returning to work, I recently returned after mat leave, all my problems got severe during this leave. There are days I wonder what I've let myself in for because I'm so fatigued or in pain. Fortunately my employer's had me assessed and made adjustments, but I've been with them for 6 years so obviously was not worried about telling them anything. If you find yourself struggling and think it may become obvious to others, then it may be worth mentioning. You should be proud of yourself that you have taken this big step, it does get better with time.
  • ninakang
    ninakang Member Posts: 1,367
    Hi Katherine

It's true that if you've stated it on a form and they've not read it, then that's their fault and not yours. They should also be making reasonable adjustments where possible under the DDA for you. I would try contacting the DDA or the CAB first for advice.

Also, I don't want to put a dampener on your new job or anything, but are you sure this is the best job for you? I don't know where on your body the arthritis affects you, but it could be dangerous carrying things as part of your job. Maybe you should look at retraining - you have plenty of time to think about what you really want to do, you could even be managing a restaurant/ pub rather than being one of the waiting staff? Try contacting your local college about what kinds of courses they do.

And as for you "old, knackered, 39 year olds" - I'm 32, so am I nearly past it then? Come on, you lot, you're never too old to do what you really want to do in life! It's never too late!

Talk to your local college/ job centre! Talk to me! I'm full of ideas and opinions *lol*

Nx
  • achealot
    Hi nenakang

I dont want to go to my local jobcentre my ex works there and she just thinks i'm a lazy git.
    so it looks like i'll have to ask you for some friendly advice :lol:

Brendan x
  • ninakang
    Hi Brendan

*lol* Yeah, ask me for advice - I am "full of it" :-)

OK, no job centre then :-P What about your local college? They'll have careers advisers there? Do you know what you want to do? They could give you all kinds of options there and how to go about doing it too.

I'm doing an Open University degree because I work full time and I have 3 young children and just wouldn't have the time to go to uni even part time. I've found them very helpful - you get loads of support online or over the phone

Nx
  • achealot
    Hi nina

funny you should say that I was looking on the ou site yesterday and sent off for info on a computer and design course.
    not studied for a while hope i can do it. :roll:

brendan x
  • woodbon
    achealot wrote:
    Hi nina

funny you should say that I was looking on the ou site yesterday and sent off for info on a computer and design course.
    not studied for a while hope i can do it. :roll:

brendan x
    Yes, you can do it! Its not rocket science and you'r here now, so that shows you'r not a computer virgin :oops: Ahhhh shock - horror, am I allowed to use a word like that!!! :D

Seriously, good on you! :) Its a great, positive move. :D:D:D Sue
  • achealot
    Hi sue

thanks for the confidence boost i'll try my best if I get stuck my 12 year old daughter said she'll help,she said its easy she already knows how to design a website :o that made me feel a bit of a dinosaur :shock: :lol:

luv ya x

brendan x
  • woodbon
    achealot wrote:
    Hi sue

thanks for the confidence boost i'll try my best if I get stuck my 12 year old daughter said she'll help,she said its easy she already knows how to design a website :o that made me feel a bit of a dinosaur :shock: :lol:

luv ya x

brendan x
    Don't you just hate kids sometimes! :lol: Love Sue
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Hi Katherine - first of all congratulations on your new job! Just take each day as it comes, you know your own limits & pain threshold & really hope you manage Ok with it as it will be a huge boost for you to make new mates & get out at weekends with your old ones.
    Don't be shy of telling people about your illness - you will probably find they will be more understanding than you think & may help you more with the heavy pots & pans etc.
    Let us all know how you are getting on :)
    Pennie
  • taylah
    taylah Member Posts: 3
    I've just started a job in a kitchen. Basically I have to clear tables, bring out food, dry up, that kind of thing..

It was really difficult last week, and i could hardly walk by the end of the day, and was in an enormous amount of pain the next day but the other girls working there said it'll get easier...

I put it on a form under : Medical conditions/allergies but they haven't looked through it yet i don't think...

I'm little worried about what they'll say when they find out... Will they be annoyed that they employed me thinking i was perfectly healthy? They didn't ask... they just presumed..

I think i'll be able to cope, i'm working shorter hours from now on 12.30-5.30 which should be fine on a good day, but on a bad day I think i might struggle...

It's really hard to find jobs for young teenagers as it is.... On top having arthritis i don't want to it to go against me...

Love,
    Katherine x

Hi Katherine.I work in Catering and at the moment they will not let me work in there as there insurance they say will be null and void,infact i get the impression that they won't let me back,not that I think i will be returning to catering it is heavy work and we cater for about 500 staff aday,before i came off sick I was really struggling esp at night when I finished in my hands arms neck ankles and knees as the days went on it became worse till my day off was spent recovering in bed.Hope you can find something a bit easier I'm 52 with RA xTaylah
  • oopie07
    oopie07 Member Posts: 18
    hi katherine,

new to the forum, i'm 29 and was worried about telling my boss. I told her (about RA) to cover myself. This i would recommend- i know its hard but if you don't say anything it can backfire.

i understand how you feel though- no-one understands because on a good day you're fit as the rest, but on a bad day no-one can really tell so seems like you're moaning. I have always wanted to study physio but have great fear in my mind now that i wouldn't be able to do it.

all the best in your new job and do what you can don't over do it

:D lou xx :):):)

Love,
    Katherine x
  • ninakang
    Hi Brendan

Don't worry, I think everyone's kids are overtaking them when it comes to computers - my eldest is 10 and she's already showing me "better" ways to do things. It's probably not surprising when you think that they start them off using computers in nurseries these days!

What course are you going for? I just got the results of my last assignment back - 79% Woohoo! Just think what mark I could have got if I hadn't left it till the last minute!

Nx
  • achealot
    Hi Ninakang

well done :wink: 8)

I'm trying for graphic design at the moment but later want to do digital art if I've got the brains.
  • katherine810
    Hii:)

Thankyou everyone, just finished day 3 of work it's getting a little easier as i'm getting used to everything, i'm having a pretty good spell at the moment though, so i really hope it lasts (well apart from my knee which is a pain... errr litterally?!) Thankyou all for your support if anything happens ill let you know, so far no one has said a word..

It says on thier website they do not discriminate when employing...

Although you couldn't do this job in a wheelchair so lets hope I don't have to use it :D

Thankyou again everyone
    Love
    Katherine x
  • katherine810
    ow ow ow ow ow
    Today i was thinking all day at work about how i would come home and vent on here about how much pain i was in xD
    Thay was all i could think about !
    I love you guys :)
    xx
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hello Katherine Same name as my wife, you never said how old you are. Well i'm proud of you making a stand and getting a job. So many young people today just excepting unemployment. Money or lack of is a real driving force. I think you have a lot of good tips and it would do you no harm to go along and talk to the Jobcentre disability employment advisors you never know you could land a good job with more pay and one you could manage with less paingive it some thought they are very good and will do all they can to find you a good job.
    Take Care

Colin
  • katherine810
    Oh sorry i'm 16 :)
    x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Katherine
    Din't see this post till now.
    I think like Eck that you have covered yourself anyway if it's on your form.
    I admire your work ethic and want to say well done and if good vibes can help - then you will be fine! Keep at it girl! :wink:
    Toni xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi starting any job is very hard it will get better a know u have arthritus but sound like its under control most of the time i feel u will get along fine and will have great fun with the money u can do some more learning if thats the route u want to take in a year or so enjoy being young while u can if anything is still very hard have a word and they might be able to make things better u will feel more able to ask once u have had time to get to know them better good luck
    val
  • katherine810
    well this week my boss found out i have JRA. I was in the office looking for my painkillers getting a little worked up, i asked her if she'd seen them she said yes and asked me why i take them, turns out she has RA too! Nothing to worry about :)

I don't really talk to her, but it's nice to know that she might have a clue what i'm going through.

Couldn't have worked out better, though i'm still struggling.. it's getting a little eaiser :)

Again I really just want to thank you all for your support and being there for me

Katherine xx