Working from home

aprocter
aprocter Member Posts: 5
Just wondering if anyone's had any success in getting time working from home rather than going into work?

I have severe OA in my right ankle due to leg deformity and weakness caused by polio. I'm active and I normally cycle into work (only about 1.5 miles which I could never walk but cycling actually helps the joint get moving!). My job is part desk based and part going around the hospital (I provide engineering support for medical devices). My ankle is worse if I spend all day at my desk anyway.

I find after a day at work my ankle is often swolen and sore. Also as I suffer chronic pain, usually when I get up and walk aronund by the end of the day I'm fit for nothing and feel burned out.

The problem is I can be active. I love horse riding and have my own horse (he's on livery so I don't have to do all the chores). I cycle to and from work most days. But I often find I'm hobbling by the end of the day and if I sit down after lots of walking I'm stuffed as its very painful when I come to move again.

What I want to do is extend 4 days work a little, just 1/2 an hour, work from home wed mornings and then have wed afternoons off. My reasoning is that when I'm at work my evenings are pretty useless so working an extra 1/2 hour won't make any difference. But if I work from home on Wed mornings I could have some quality time for activity in the afternoon.

I can see its going to be a difficult argument as I can just about cope with my normal hours but its trashing my home life.

Andrea

Comments

• valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi cant realy help but it is worth asking if u feel it will help u . they can only say no but might just be happy to let u. fingers crossed i only work part time but some times leave house work so will b fit 4 work u just cant win good luck :D
    val
  • heather1
    heather1 Member Posts: 75
    Hi

When i first had my back problem i started working from home using the telephone and the computer.

A very unusual job but i did it for 3 years and it paid the bills!!
  • mariam
    mariam Member Posts: 15
    heather1 wrote:
    Hi

When i first had my back problem i started working from home using the telephone and the computer.

A very unusual job but i did it for 3 years and it paid the bills!!

hi what kind of home job did you do
  • seamonkey
    seamonkey Member Posts: 323
    Hi,
    I hope you manage to get them to allow you to work from home. The home work balance is very hard to get right when you have a health problem. Bit it is important that when your at home you are able to do things.
    Good luck
    seamonkey