just diagnosed with oa

lufcandy
lufcandy Bots Posts: 8
hi,
i have just been diagnosed with o/a and also dupuytrens contracture which is a rsi injury of the hands.
i currently work in a police control room sitting down for 9 hrs and do none stop typing.
i am due to see my occy health tomorrow and cannot see how i could continue doing what i do now with these two problems.
not knowing much about o/a etc, what is the likelihood of me being pensioned off from your experiences as i cant see what else i could do.
ps. i am 45 yrs old

Comments

• mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi lufcandy, I was diagnosed last April with advanced OA in both knees after key hole surgery, since then a lots happened I can tell you, in my view you should first as soon as you can go and talk to your union rep, and if you aren’t in a union then join one ASAP as you will need the cloak of protection and advice they can offer, if your anti union then please put politics aside for your sake, don’t go to your OC health people and talk about retirement just yet you will have to see how things pan out and that sort of decision will take some time to reach, trust me nothing will move as quickly as you think they should, well with my experience it doesn’t. Good luck! :wink:
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    mellman01 wrote:
    Hi lufcandy, I was diagnosed last April with advanced OA in both knees after key hole surgery, since then a lots happened I can tell you, in my view you should first as soon as you can go and talk to your union rep, and if you aren’t in a union then join one ASAP as you will need the cloak of protection and advice they can offer, if your anti union then please put politics aside for your sake, don’t go to your OC health people and talk about retirement just yet you will have to see how things pan out and that sort of decision will take some time to reach, trust me nothing will move as quickly as you think they should, well with my experience it doesn’t. Good luck! :wink:

Good advice!Better let your employer do the suggesting.My own emplyers view is you need to be dead to be medically retired!
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, Welcome to the forum! :) Its a very good place to come for helpful tips and information, as most of us have been through the mill a bit! :roll:

As for your job, if you're not in the union, join now. I don't know how the police manage their human resources, but their are rules to protect you and procedures to go through. I have just been retired sick. I was a care assistant employed by the council. I had to go to occupational health and they got information from my GP and Rummy. In the end they gave me notice and arranged for my pension to be released. It took quite a few months. Its good too, if you can have a friend or Union Rep with you for all the meetings, I took my husband sometimes and sometimes a Union Rep. It was all done without any bad feeling and no row or upset. My manager was the person to put forward early retirement and human resourses agreed. As redeplyoment wasn't easy, as can't do standing, walking, lifting, or typing, as although I've worked in office for years before this, I have carpel tunnel syndrome! :shock:

I think its important to keep them on your side as much as possilble, have representation, it keeps them on there toes, and let them do the suggesting. I hope all goes well for you. Love Sue
  • lufcandy
    lufcandy Bots Posts: 8
    thanks to all for the help/advice.

saw occy health today and basically agreed that i will need to be redeployed when i return from sick but the only possible thing i could do would be security which would be a massive loss of pay/more hours.
    didnt mention about finishing but may do when i see them again in two months time.
    quite happy with this as i have an income protection policy which should payout if im not able to do my job that i do now so im making a claim on that.
    also joined the union today online as advised.
    once again thanks
    andy
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, I'm glad occy health were OK. I've had to go a few times and they have been really helpful.

I'm not sure if they can redeploy you to a job of lesser status and pay. I would check that out with your Union or look it up on the Department of Work and Pensions web site.
    Hope all goes well for you. Love Sue