OA

Options
mandyt
mandyt Member Posts: 8
please can anyone give me some advice as i am at my wits end with the constant pain that i am in with OA in my left hip and also pains now in my lower back and left knee. Im 36 years old and was diagnosed with OA 2 years ago. Since Jan of this year my pain has been unbearable and i cant take much more :( I had an xray in Feb where i was told my pain was with bone rubbing on bone, i was referred to see a orthopaedic consultant and i have since had a cortisone injection into my hip in May, this has not worked. I am now off work again as i can hardly walk, the pain is unbearable, i see the consultant again next week and want some advice as to what treatment i should be asking for. He did tell me the last time i saw him that i will need a new hip but he wont do it at my age. My doctor just says loose weight and prescribes me co-codamol but this does nothing for my pain relief. I have lost a stone and a half as i dont want the consultant to dismiss me with the same fob off. What can i do next as at 36 i feel like im 90 and had enough.

Comments

• denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I have OA in both hips, but my left is the worst and I am having a replacement "hopefully in August" I get a reffered pain in my left knee, I had a cortisone injection into my hip but it didnt work. I went back to see the consultant and he very reluctantly said he would operate, because I am young at 53 he didnt want to do it. BUT my advice is go to see him and tell him that you want quality of life "NOW" I know you are young but dont wait too long until the joints are completely worn away and to be honest a hip replacement is your only option.
    Good Luck and be POSITIVE or else they will walk all over you, after all its you that in pain not THEM.
    Denise.
  • mandyt
    mandyt Member Posts: 8
    Options
    denpen wrote:
    Hi
    I have OA in both hips, but my left is the worst and I am having a replacement "hopefully in August" I get a reffered pain in my left knee, I had a cortisone injection into my hip but it didnt work. I went back to see the consultant and he very reluctantly said he would operate, because I am young at 53 he didnt want to do it. BUT my advice is go to see him and tell him that you want quality of life "NOW" I know you are young but dont wait too long until the joints are completely worn away and to be honest a hip replacement is your only option.
    Good Luck and be POSITIVE or else they will walk all over you, after all its you that in pain not THEM.
    Denise.

Hi Denise,
    Thanks for the reply, your right, i do want my quality of life back now and i can worry about it later on when i am older. My husband is going to come with me on Monday for moral support armed with questions that we want answers too. Hope all goes well with your hip replacement, keep me informed, good luck.

Mandy x
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Hi Mandy,

Sorry to hear about the frustrations and worry of this difficult time. I wonder whether you have been able to consult a physiotherapist and get some feedback over your self-mangement to date? (Things like have you managed to strengthen any muscles, and how much progress do they think you've acheived with weight, do they describe the condition of joints?

Practical day-to-day self management is covered on our self-management groups - follow our website to in your area for more details.

Also where the arthritis has happened early in life it can be helpful to know if there is anything about your particular circumstances which explains this - as that can sometimes inform your choices. (That's the kind of detailed conversation to have with your consultant.)

Email helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk with your full name and postal address if you'd like an information pack.

Hope that helps
    Guy