Newly diagnosed osteoarthritis

kizzy528877
kizzy528877 Member Posts: 2
Hi
I have been having trouble for the last 6 months. I cannot hardly walk due to pain in my feet, I cannot kneel as it feels like kneeling on broken glass, the top of my hands are very painful and if I touch them sometimes the pain is unbearable.
I have been to see a rhematologist last week who looked at my joints then diagnosed osteoarthritis.
He told me to take pain killers and will make me an appointment to have some things fitted in my shoes.
I have terrible feet, leg swelling as well which is painful.
Are these classic symtoms of OA?
I just feel as if I have been left to get on with it and I dont know what to do for the best.
Icannot take ibrofen as I have a slight heart valve problem which makes it worse so have been given codine.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks you

Comments

• mandyt
    mandyt Member Posts: 8
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    I have been having trouble for the last 6 months. I cannot hardly walk due to pain in my feet, I cannot kneel as it feels like kneeling on broken glass, the top of my hands are very painful and if I touch them sometimes the pain is unbearable.
    I have been to see a rhematologist last week who looked at my joints then diagnosed osteoarthritis.
    He told me to take pain killers and will make me an appointment to have some things fitted in my shoes.
    I have terrible feet, leg swelling as well which is painful.
    Are these classic symtoms of OA?
    I just feel as if I have been left to get on with it and I dont know what to do for the best.
    Icannot take ibrofen as I have a slight heart valve problem which makes it worse so have been given codine.
    Any help would be appreciated
    Thanks you
  • denpen
    denpen Member Posts: 389
    Hi
    I have OA in my neck, shoulder?, lower spine, both hips, I have experienced pain in my feet which was diagnosed as plantar fiscitus, but physio said he was not sure that this was classic and thought it was coming from my back or somewhere else ( I think its referred pain from my hips. Anyway I hope you get sorted out soon, sorry I am not much help!!!!
    Denise
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    Dear Kizzy,

Thank you for your enquiry to Chat to Helplines, unfortunately we've been very busy, so sorry for the delay in getting back to you. If you send us your name and address - e-mail helplines@arthritiscare.org.uk and we can send you full information on self-management.

Key to be aware of is that strenghening exercise and weightloss are definitely recommended. If pain is very poorly managed then it's worth getting more support - see a physiotherapist, join one of our self-mangement groups, and in the longer term a referral to a pain clinic may be an option.

There are options worth exploring, and getting peer support on the forum is an excellent place for that.

I hope we can help

Guy