Mum to 2 year old with oligoarthritis

Options
konnie
konnie Member Posts: 8
edited 13. Jul 2009, 11:16 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, new to the site. My 2 year old daughter has just been diagnosed with arthritis in both knees and is currently unable to walk. We are waiting for cortisone injections tomorrow. Is anyone else caring for a child with arthritis? Would be good to hear from people in a similar situation. We only had the diagnosis two weeks ago so im still pretty clueless as to what it all means for her and us.

Comments

• debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Konnie, I am really sorry that your daughter has arthritis. I am a sufferer but my children don't have it. I just wanted to reply to your post. Have you spoken to the helpline team? They have some wonderful literature to help. It must be a bit of a shock for you. I hope that the steroid injections help.

Take care

Deb
  • konnie
    konnie Member Posts: 8
    Options
    thanks for replying. yes, i called the helpline earlier and they are sending me some info. can anyone let me know how effective the cortisone injections are? I just want to see her walking again. Have noticed a swollen knuckle today. worried it is spreading :(
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    The steroid injections can work brilliantly. You have to rest the joint for a while after to help it to work. That might be a problem with a 2yr old. I should mention the swollen knuckle when you go for the steroid injections. Keep posting and let us know how you get on.

Deb
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    HI Konnie
    Have you tried posting on LWA forum? There ARE other Mothers who use this forum.
    Also you could [post on the Young people's as a lot of thoise people have had it from very young and may be able to give you some insight to the little one's point of veiw.
    Take care
    Toni x