How do you get registered as disabled?

Options
c4thyg
c4thyg Member Posts: 542
I've been advised by others on the forum to copy my question here.

I'm not looking for benefits or anything like that just yet. I simply want to know how to go about being registered as disabled.

I've lost 3 jobs in the last 18 months and all because of ill health. I have 3 autoimmune conditions including psoriatic arthritis and a life threatening blood condition that was diagnosed 6 months ago. I've been told that I don't fall under the DDA for my blood condition because 'immune thrombocytopenia purpura' isn't listed. It's rare so I'm not surprised it's not listed but I still find it hard to believe that I'm not protected by the DDA. I'm hoping that if I can get registered as disabled it might afford me some protection in the workplace so that reasonable adjustments have to be made. I don't even ask for a lot.

I'm now feeling too despondent to look for another job even though I need the outlet. I'm afraid that it will just keep happening to me and I'll never be able to settle anywhere. Does being registered disabled actually help in this situation? Any advice would be appreciated. Thx.

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,494
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello
    There isn't such a thing as 'registered disabled' these days (other than with some Local Authorities which gets you concessions on some of their services but I don't think this is what you are referring to).
    The DDA defines a disabled person as someone with 'a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long term effect on their ability to carry out normal day to day activities'. If your medical conditions put you in this category then you are covered under the DDA. Our booklet 'Working with Arthritis' explains this in more detail and the Equality and Human Rights Commission at www.equalityhumanrights.com will help you work out if you meet this definition.
    Adding employment problems to existing medical conditions can make you feel a bit down but don't give up on this. If you want to talk things through with one of us do ring us on the freephone.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thx Val. I'll take a look at the website you listed. I'm also applying for a blue badge as that seems to be what employers always ask for in my experience.
    Thanks again. Cathy