Saying Hi

Options
dazleeds1
dazleeds1 Member Posts: 9
edited 20. Jul 2009, 17:17 in Say Hello Archive
Hi there,

Thought i'd introduce myself. I am 44 and received a very unexpected diagnosis today of OA in pelvis and lower back. I have had recurring bouts of viral type symptoms over the last 5 years. The most recent bout has been accompanied with excrutiating pains in the offending area although presumed they were unconnected and i had maybe overdone the gardening whilst run down. Blood tests were fine and was expecting X rays to indicate OA. A bit of a kick in the teeth to say the least so I need to pick myself up and learn as much as I can and develop a managememt strategy as I ain't taking it lying down.

Cheers
Daz

Comments

• dazleeds1
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    dazleeds1 wrote:
    Hi there,

Thought i'd introduce myself. I am 44 and received a very unexpected diagnosis today of OA in pelvis and lower back. I have had recurring bouts of viral type symptoms over the last 5 years. The most recent bout has been accompanied with excrutiating pains in the offending area although presumed they were unconnected and i had maybe overdone the gardening whilst run down. Blood tests were fine and was expecting X rays to indicate OA. A bit of a kick in the teeth to say the least so I need to pick myself up and learn as much as I can and develop a managememt strategy as I ain't taking it lying down.

Cheers
    Daz

EDIT: Should have said 'wasn't expecting X rays to show OA'. Prophetic I am not, and certainly not pessimistic!
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Hi Daz
    Welcome to the forums from me! You will have to get your head round the diagnosis yes, but this is a good place to get support while you do it!
    Have you yet had a chance to talk with Dr about pain management? There are all sorts of painkillers you can take - usually there are two main types anti inflams which will also reduce inflamation (!) and painkillers like paracetamol. If you have a look on the A/C site they will tell you what they do. If you need something stronger than over the counter stuff theDr will prescribe.
    Other types of pain releif are heat or ice - both can be suprisingly effective!
    Anyway I will shut up for now and hope to see you postiong on some of the other forums soon!
    Toni x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Daz

Welcome to this friendly site. Hope to see you posting on the other forums. Sorry to hear your diagnosis. I know the feeling. :roll: About your age I was diagnosed with oa in my thumbs, then my knees came out in sympathy :lol::lol:

Ask any questions on the LWA forum. People will always try to help and if they cannot, you will receive lots of sympathy. We are very good at dishing that out on here!

Take care
    Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Hi Daz

How are you feeling now?
    Sorry to hear of the diagnosis, back pain
    is just awful.

Have a look at the other forums, Living with A
    and the chit chat zone, maybe some of the posts
    there will be of help to you.

Your positive approach is a good thing and I'm
    sure it will get you through.

Is the Leeds part of your post referring to where
    you're from, as I am not far from you over in Halifax.

Kath
  • dazleeds1
    Options
    Thanks for the welcome everyone, I am sure to have zillions of questions and will post up soon on other forums.

@ frogmorton - I need to go back to the docs to discuss the diagnosis and management. I want to avoid taking NSAIDS on a regular basis but accept that there will be times when the downsides outway the cost of suffering too much pain. Tried ice and deep heat this weekend and you are right they are surprisingly effective, especially when you want to get off to sleep :D

@ kathbee - I don't live in Leeds but follow LUFC and have family in Leeds so it's easier to use the same forum name on all forums :wink:

@ elnafinn and pixyandfaries - do you have pain all the time or is it something that waxes and wanes?
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    @ elnafinn and pixyandfaries - do you have pain all the time or is it something that waxes and wanes?

My pain waxes and wanes. Sometimes I have no pain at all. :D

Elna
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.