Advice please

Options
mrsmopp
mrsmopp Member Posts: 73
Hi Folks

Just been offered voluntary redundancy with NHS. Iv been there for 14 years and they are offering a months wages for each year that i have been there. Havnt been keeping to well with RA over the last few years and have had quite alot of sick leave. Im only 44 years old. Not sure what to do, i could work on and could end up with more time off and them decide to let me go, and i would get nothing, so was thinking it would be worth thinking about, at least i would come out of it with a lump sum. Any advice folks, i know i have to make up my own mind in the end of the day but would appreciate your views, thanks x

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

Would opting for ill health retirement be a better option? Are you seeing occy health, maybe ask their opinion. By having your pension early then you would be better off then voluntary redundancy.

Janie
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Sorry to hear you've been having trouble.
    I've recently had my NHS contract terminated on medical grounds (the RA became too bad). If the NHS get rid of you on medical grounds the policy is to pay you a certain amount for every year you've worked. It was quite a painless process, my manager was incredibly supportive even though I hadn't worked there very long.
    I kept trying to work, various different hours and doing different jobs but it kept making me poorly so I decided to choose life over work. A difficult decision but it was one that was made for me really!

Good luck with what you choose.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Hi Mrs Mop,

have you got a pension plan at work? I used to work for the nhs and was medically discharged and thankfully got my pension early and at times I don't know what I would have done without it. If there is no pension plan maybe redundancy would be a good option but I think you maybe should get some advice and workout what is best for you. Take care and good luck, Cris
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hello I agree, you need some advice from someone who knows all the rules and regulations. The Citizens Advice can point you in the right direction for help. Its a big decision, and you need to know your rights. Good luck, hope everything goes well for you. Love Sue
  • mrsmopp
    Options
    Many thanks to you all for your time and advice. xx
  • mrsmopp
    Options
    Many thanks folks for all your advice, im feeling better about it all, think i will have to phone CAB and get more info. I have been paying into a pension for the last 5 years, but im only 44 years old so dont now what the rules are. Thanks again x
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hi Mrs Mopp

The NHS pension has changed and you will be able to apply for ill health although it can be tough to get. Google NHS pension or try www.nhspa.gov.uk, you will get more info from there.

Let me know how you get on, I am 37 and got 4 years service and am also looking at my options.

Janie :)
  • mrsmopp
    Options
    janie68 wrote:
    Hi Mrs Mopp

The NHS pension has changed and you will be able to apply for ill health although it can be tough to get. Google NHS pension or try www.nhspa.gov.uk, you will get more info from there.

Let me know how you get on, I am 37 and got 4 years service and am also looking at my options.

Janie :)

Thanks Janie, its got some interesting points. Its the same old story if someone could say well this is how much pension you are going to get per week, it would help. Its sad that you have to think of your health first, but finances make a big difference. Will let you know how i get on. Will go onto phone tomorrow.
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Options
    if youre in a union ask them for advice so you get best outcome for you not them!