Sero Negative Poly Arthritis and getting back to work

purplefairy77
purplefairy77 Member Posts: 3
Hello :) , I have a long standing temperamental arthritis that I feel sure is inflamed by stress and anxiety. I have worked full time for about 16 years and just put up with the pains that appeared in different joints going from mild to very severe. I never did actually declare it at interviews as I just sort of coped and got on with things the best I could. I was fortunate to have a very understanding boss for a long time who understood that I had a 'bit of joint pain' from time to time even though I tried to hide it. All in all I have only had about a week off because of this in all that time. But it took it's toll and I started a new job part time (16 hours). After 7 months my joints were so bad I was virtually paralysed with pains all over me so much so I couldn't walk for about 3 weeks. I left the job back in August last year. I am now for the first time on Incapacity and in receipt of DLA. My condition is now more steady but I do get times when using stairs are difficult and get quite bad pain in the night that obviously leaves me tired the next day. As it's unpredictable it can appear like there is nothing wrong with me visually and then there are times I am in agony. I am seeking a local part time job now and am so confused about the fact that I feel I should now declare my condition and worry that it may jepordise my chance of getting employed. Due to the current shortage of jobs and the fact that I am 52 makes matters worse. I know I am capable, reliable and a good worker but feel I am now in a position that I have never been in before. I would appreciate any help and advice. Thank you. :)

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi

You sound torn. You want to work but you know your body is unpredictable and will hamper your chances of holding down a job. You know the benefits that working can bring, but this can be chanelled into something else. Are you financially secure? If so, then for me, I think a voluntary position is something to consider. I know that you can delcare this for your incapacity and it would not affect it. Voluntary work can give you the benefits of working (self esteem, belonging,company etc) and you are in a position where you can control things so that when you are unwell, you would not need to go to 'work'. Voluntary need not just be charity shops, there are hundreds of positions available.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Janie
  • purplefairy77
    purplefairy77 Member Posts: 3
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks for your reply.

I am not really financially secure but am managing at the moment as my partner works. Iwill look into doing voluntary work as it does sound like it would be good for me. I just don't feel happy being on benefits indefinitely.
    janie68 wrote:
    Hi

You sound torn. You want to work but you know your body is unpredictable and will hamper your chances of holding down a job. You know the benefits that working can bring, but this can be chanelled into something else. Are you financially secure? If so, then for me, I think a voluntary position is something to consider. I know that you can delcare this for your incapacity and it would not affect it. Voluntary work can give you the benefits of working (self esteem, belonging,company etc) and you are in a position where you can control things so that when you are unwell, you would not need to go to 'work'. Voluntary need not just be charity shops, there are hundreds of positions available.

Hope this is helpful for you.

Janie
    :)