Cervical Spondylosis

freezetag
freezetag Member Posts: 3
I have just had my most painful episode yet, with 15 days and nights of screaming, unremitting pain through my neck, upper back and shoulders. I hit my Methocarbamol, but it had lttle impact on the so-tight musculature. I've never experienced this much pain before - it seems to have been provoked by doing a longish journey (60 miles) driving a car.
I remember reading an article in the Daily Mail some while back about an over-the-door traction device, (but sadly, I've lost it). Does it relieve pain? - Does anyone have any experience of it? I have the pneumatic neck brace thingy - its some help, but does little to actually extend the neck, it just provides a bit of stability.
The frightening thing this time was that I've developed a large 'bump' at the very base of the neck - which I guess is one facet overlapping another (?).
Any advice please?

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello
    This sounds like you're going through a terrible time. Have you spoken to your doctor? If you haven't, please do so especially about the 'bump' which has appeared at the base of your neck in case it is something which needs treatment.
    I don't know about the traction device you mention. If it is a reputable device proven to be helpful then the Disabled Living Foundation at www.dlf.org.uk or on 0845 130 9177 will have details of suppliers but again, please ask your doctor and/or physiotherapist's advice before trying anything which could stretch your neck. Advice from a physio anyway might be a good idea just now.
    Use all the coping skills which I'm sure you have to get you through this. If you haven't already read it, have a look at our booklet 'Coping with Pain' on our website which gives some relaxation and distraction techniques and if you want to talk things through with one of us please do ring us on the freephone number.
    Best wishes
    Val
  • freezetag
    freezetag Member Posts: 3
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks for your reply Val. My doctor gave me some Valium to help me to sleep, and after 3 good nights sleep my pain has settl.ed a little.
    I will check out the DLF site you recommended.
    After 3/4 years of pain from spinal and hip arthritis + a hip injury, you would think it was certain I had access to a physio. But no. I have asked, of course, several times, but the nearest I have come to sniffing a physio was when "passing through", and "triaged" for access to a scan and surgeon's opinion. But no on-going help ever offered.
    Possibly GP's have some incentive at the moment NOT to refer patients for this, I don't know. I'm on the breadline (at 62, I'm medically retired and on Pension Credit) but I've just now started paying £35 an hour for this privately, out of my (very small) savings. (He's astonished I've had no active, ongoing treatment).
    I'd like to know how other people fare with access to treatment - but at the moment, I feel that, if you are over 60, and have chronic pain, then you're not actually dying, so you're a nuisance patient clogging up their waiting rooms...............
    Hello
    This sounds like you're going through a terrible time. Have you spoken to your doctor? If you haven't, please do so especially about the 'bump' which has appeared at the base of your neck in case it is something which needs treatment.
    I don't know about the traction device you mention. If it is a reputable device proven to be helpful then the Disabled Living Foundation at www.dlf.org.uk or on 0845 130 9177 will have details of suppliers but again, please ask your doctor and/or physiotherapist's advice before trying anything which could stretch your neck. Advice from a physio anyway might be a good idea just now.
    Use all the coping skills which I'm sure you have to get you through this. If you haven't already read it, have a look at our booklet 'Coping with Pain' on our website which gives some relaxation and distraction techniques and if you want to talk things through with one of us please do ring us on the freephone number.
    Best wishes
    Val