i hate phoning in sick-feel so guilty

rpringle
rpringle Member Posts: 13
Just phones in sick, have not been in this week at all.
My stupid neck has been really playing up lately and it is really stiff and quite painful again today.
I have to really psych myself up to phone in work to tell them I will not be in and i hate it.
I work in the public sector so it is not as bad as working for a small company in the private sector but i always feel so guilty.
I started Humira yesterday and am really hoping thats going to work in the next few weeks but at the moment my neck is proving to be quite a problem
I am going to go swimming in a bit to see if it helps free my neck up a bit but i am worried people might see me from work and say "well I saw him swimming so he couldn't have been that bad". I in my mind thats stupid as I have told by my physiotherapist to go but it's how i feel.
The problem with going to work is that I have to sit at a desk interviewing people and my neck just seizes up even if i don't move it for about 2 minutes and it means that typing then turning to talk to someone becomes really difficult.
Does anyone else feel that guilty feeling even though deep down you know it just isn't justified?
When I put my sensible head on I say to myself that I can't work because my neck is too bad and that if I go in it will make it worse, but on the other hand I keep worrying about what other people at work must be thinking.

Is that stupid?

Comments

• janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    No, it isnt stupid at all. I t shows that you are dedicated to your job and you are not the type that shirks. I feel exactly the same. I had to go off sick after retruning to work for 2 weeks, had just had 4 months off. I had a huge flare up so there was nothing I could do. I also work for the public sector and yes I feel very guilty. I think maybe regular contact with work/manager may help you, to give them updates will help you. (if that makes sense)

I hope that the Humira kicks in soon, I am going onto enbrel just waiting for funding to be sorted.

Take care

Janie
  • harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    hi there rpringle
    i know exactly what you mean, when i have phoned in sick my manager goes "oh for christs sake" quite loud and with alot of p-ed off tone in her voice, so now i just dont bother, i go in regardless and insist on a chair (i work in a shop) behind the til, only prob is i stiffen up so i have to get up once in a while, then i get customers asking why i have a chair and the older lady at the other til doesnt and shouldnt i give up my chair for her ! I tell them its because i'm disabled (i got awarded DLA 2 weeks ago) and shes not, that soon shuts them up.
    but dont feel guilty, you cant help needing days off, they will just have to accept it, you need rest with this condition, and if they make comments, then tell them that you are covered by the DDA and they are stepping over the line by making comments, i flashed my DLA certificate to my manager and she now askes if i am OK, a real turn around !!
    take care, and dont worry!!
    Sally.xx :D
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi work in a small shop and feel really guilty if phone in sick no reason 4 it but just the way i am lol. had bad trip couple of weeks ago went in day of fall but got up couple of days later and could not move arm or back so had to stay home and go back to bed.it just feels wrong to leave it to others to do my job will have to sort head out :(
    val
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi It was always one of my difficulties, as working in care means that unless you are able to give a day or so notice, the people you work with will be having to do your work and it makes a hard, busy job much worse and the residents suffer as do the other staff. Although, if I went in when I felt I shoud'nt , I also couldn't do as much work and had to keep asking for help, which in some ways is harder for the other staff, than not being there at all!!! :? No win situation really, even though no-one ever made me feel bad about time off or asking for help, in fact I used to get told not to do too much! :shock: Thats what makes the difference between people who just don't care about taking time off and 'swinging the lead' and us. :wink: Love Sue
  • rpringle
    rpringle Member Posts: 13
    woodbon wrote:
    Hi It was always one of my difficulties, as working in care means that unless you are able to give a day or so notice, the people you work with will be having to do your work and it makes a hard, busy job much worse and the residents suffer as do the other staff. Although, if I went in when I felt I shoud'nt , I also couldn't do as much work and had to keep asking for help, which in some ways is harder for the other staff, than not being there at all!!! :? No win situation really, even though no-one ever made me feel bad about time off or asking for help, in fact I used to get told not to do too much! :shock: Thats what makes the difference between people who just don't care about taking time off and 'swinging the lead' and us. :wink: Love Sue

Thanks everyone

I am pleased that others have the same dilemma as me when phoning in sick. Just been for a swim and my neck feels a bit better.
    Going to sit and relax for a bit now.

I really like the support you get from the people using this forum

All the best
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    glad your swim helped :D:D . we must get this feeling of guilt under controll :roll: :roll: . if we r not fit to work they r paying us for nothing well not quite but u know what i mean :D:D .so why do we feel so bad when we have to take time off :(:( .must be something to do with how we were bought up do u think :?: :?:
    good luck have good day
    val
  • holmesi
    holmesi Member Posts: 96
    Hi valval,I had the same from my boss,were paying you and were not getting anything back from you ,only been offf sick 2 days in last 3years before arthur,yep usually struggled in but not at the moment,dont want to go back and then go off again,all different stage warnings.
    hope every body feels pretty good today,
    Ivor :roll: :roll: