hip pain

gemmapetken
gemmapetken Member Posts: 263
edited 31. Jul 2009, 07:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi
i have been recently diagnosed with deformity in my right hip with RA aswell, which needs sorting out surgically

I have an appointment for the 19th august (think i got this because i moaned!)
I am after any advice or info about hip replacements and resurfacing. Also i am on holiday from sat and would like to be a bit more comfortable than i am at the moment. Any advice on pain management for hips as well

Many thanks in advance

Gemma

Comments

• woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello, I have oa in my hip, but not bad enough for surgery. Are you on any regular pain medication, if so ask your GP about other pain relief, maybe something stronger, for a short time. Or I have had, in the past, a Steriod injection which helped. My GP arranged that but I think you are running short of time for that, but the best thing is to talk to your GP if possible. Have you tried a pillow under your legs, when you sleep on your back or between them when on your side? Hot or cold packs may give some relief, and also not to try and do too much while your away. Try a rest in the afternoon and lots of stops for coffee or something :wink: during the day. If you are doing a lot of walking, a couple of hiking poles are great for me, or even just one, if you prefer. Hope that helps a bit, have lovely time, are you going to be lying on a nice warm beach or do you like to do something? Let us know how you get on. Love Sue
  • elaine1033
    elaine1033 Member Posts: 47
    i found the sun eased my pains a bit .but then when i go on holiday i dont do 2 much apart fron sunning my self :oops: :roll: :roll:
  • gemmapetken
    LOL
    thanks!! i have been using the walking poles so will make sure i use them next week!!

G
  • newark
    newark Member Posts: 32
    hi
    i have been recently diagnosed with deformity in my right hip with RA aswell, which needs sorting out surgically

I have an appointment for the 19th august (think i got this because i moaned!)
    I am after any advice or info about hip replacements and resurfacing. Also i am on holiday from sat and would like to be a bit more comfortable than i am at the moment. Any advice on pain management for hips as well

Many thanks in advance

Gemma

Hi Gemma,

I also have RA and develop OA in my hips around 5 years ago. I had both hips replaced in January this year (I'm 37). My surgeon would not even consider resurfacing as an option because of my RA history. However, this may be because I have had it since a baby or just his choice so don't take it that all would be the same.

Had both hips done together, total replacements. It's been a long haul and I was off work for three months but now feel so much better. Still haven't quite worked out how to get in and out of the bath again (thank god for showers!) and am still recovering but you wouldn't know from looking at me. Walking plenty. And I can sleep at night - fantastic!

If you can get into your outpatients clinic they might give you an intra muscular steriod injection. My Doc did this for me to ease my hip pain a couple of years ago before I went on holiday. Try asking for it. This one is just in the bum cheek so doesn't really hurt. The one right into the hip joint I imagine would be uncomfortable but probably more effective.

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your holiday. Feel free to come back and ask anything, there is a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Lorraine x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I've got several walking poles and a fold up stick. I keep one of the walking poles in the car and the others at home, so I don't have to worry if I forget them when I go out or if my husband takes my car! :) Love Sue
  • gemmapetken
    thanks for all the info/advice!!

Gemma
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Hi Gemma, I get hip pain when walking, I just take the painkillers reguarly and they keep the pain at bay. Having rests when walking helps. I hope you have a lovely holiday.

Deb x