my neck and shoulders hurt!

Options
suzster
suzster Member Posts: 1,328
edited 2. Aug 2009, 14:03 in Living with Arthritis archive
my neck and shoulders have been really painful recently.
for about a week or so my neck and shoulders have got really painful. just trying to turn my head causes terrible pain that can reduce me to tears, along with it i keep getting headaches and a queazy feeling which i think is caused by the pain.
if i try to pick anything up my arms join in and hurt to. i'm not sure if it#'s a flare or what!
it seems to happen every now and again, usually lasting about 10 days then it just goes, until next time!
i mentioned it to my rheumy who said it was just part of RA.
BUT DOES ANYONE ELSE GET THIS?
i've tried different pillows from soft to firm and even a memory foam one but nothing helps, it just seems to subside as quick as it starts.
sorry to moan but it really is very painful and i can't read or do much because looking up or down causes a shooting pain like if i try to turn my head.
sue

Comments

• debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi I get this. I have been told I have RA in my neck as well as cervical spondylosis. I have to say it is the worst pain I have ever had. I am taking slow release morphine and tramadol, which helps. I have also had my steroids increased which really helps. The pain radiates down my arms, into my head and down my spine. I have nerve pain, joint pain and the muscles go into spasm. It is extremely uncomfortable.

I am really sorry that you have this, as I know how painful it is. It must be worse with a little one as well. Maybe your gp could increase your steroids to settle the flare? Try heat wraps on your neck it does ease it a little I find. I hope it settles soon for you.

Hugs

Deb x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, Yes, I get this, but not as badly as you. Well, sometimes I have periods when it is really bad and I can't move my head and it goes through my shoulders and down my arms. The really bad pain, so far, has only lasted a few days and then its on a much less painful level for a while, but it never goes away compleatly. When I had my MRI, the rheummy said this is caused by the small bone spur irritating the nerve.
    I hope your bad pain does't last too long. I have had muscle relaxers for the really bad times, when I've had to see the GP.
    Gosh, sorry to go on about me, take care and get some advice - you may find the old heat or cold pack treatment, whichever you prefer helps. I like heat on the back of my neck. :wink: Love Sue
  • carol71
    carol71 Member Posts: 131
    Options
    I've only joined the forum today and this is only my 2nd post, but what you have just describes is the pains I am experiencing.

I only found out I have arthritis yesterday. The doctor told me over the phone when he got back my xray results.

I wasn't expecting it at all I just thought i'd a trapped nerve or something that was causing the pains to travel down my arms and into my fingers.

I have 2 young children one of whom has special needs and I'm already fining it hard to cope with his meltdowns.

I'm off sick from work at the moment as I work in a supermarket stacking shelves and am fining it painful to lift my arms at the moment higher than a few inches.

Carol xxx
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    suzster wrote:
    my neck and shoulders have been really painful recently.
    for about a week or so my neck and shoulders have got really painful. just trying to turn my head causes terrible pain that can reduce me to tears, along with it i keep getting headaches and a queazy feeling which i think is caused by the pain.
    if i try to pick anything up my arms join in and hurt to. i'm not sure if it#'s a flare or what!
    it seems to happen every now and again, usually lasting about 10 days then it just goes, until next time!
    i mentioned it to my rheumy who said it was just part of RA.
    BUT DOES ANYONE ELSE GET THIS?
    i've tried different pillows from soft to firm and even a memory foam one but nothing helps, it just seems to subside as quick as it starts.
    sorry to moan but it really is very painful and i can't read or do much because looking up or down causes a shooting pain like if i try to turn my head.
    sue

This sounds like what i had last wk the headache lasted7 days and i had shoulder neck and arm pain also and it made my eyes blurry i felt sick and i passed out with it. the doc said i could have carpol tunnel and the neck thing was separate to to posture prob but i am un sure as ive not had it before joanne
    Joanne
  • suzster
    Options
    yes, you are all describing exactly how i feel, i felt like i would pass out as it was so painful, made my head thump to, i'm kind of glad i'm not alone with it.
    oh carol that sounds awful, i have a 2yr old and a 10 yr old and with it being summer holidays i felt bad telling them i needed to rest but the pain was unbearable, i took extra morphine and paracetamol which only lessened the pain slightly.
    i'll talk to my gp about it next week if it doesn't go.
    thanks for replying everyone!
    sue
  • carol71
    carol71 Member Posts: 131
    Options
    Sue pillow wise have you tried a v shaped pillow to help support your neck. It was sugested to me by a friend and I found it helpful.

Carol xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,414
    Options
    Suz
    that sounds really awful and i feel like crying in sympathy :( I really hope it passes very very quickly for you and for you too Carol - life sounds very ahrd for you too.
    Wish I could help
    Toni x
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    carol71 wrote:
    I've only joined the forum today and this is only my 2nd post, but what you have just describes is the pains I am experiencing.

I only found out I have arthritis yesterday. The doctor told me over the phone when he got back my xray results.

I wasn't expecting it at all I just thought i'd a trapped nerve or something that was causing the pains to travel down my arms and into my fingers.

I have 2 young children one of whom has special needs and I'm already fining it hard to cope with his meltdowns.

I'm off sick from work at the moment as I work in a supermarket stacking shelves and am fining it painful to lift my arms at the moment higher than a few inches.

Carol xxx
    feel for u it must have been quite a shock hope they got u sorted on some meds that help good luck :D
    val
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Carol, I totally agree those v shaped pillows are brilliant. I would be lost without mine, it does really help.

Sue, I find it hard to manage with a 16 and 11 year old. I don't know how you do it with a 2yr old. I just can't imagine it. heres hoping your flare settles down soon.

Deb
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Hey Sue
    Sorry to hear you've been feeling crappy. For the past few days I've had horrendous pain in my neck and shoulders. Its been feeling like I've been wearing a yoke most of the time. Sleep has been nigh on impossible and I've been reduced to tears a fair few times. I have RA damage in the neck but have had for ages. I've recently come off my drugs, only having steroid course now so I think thats the reason to the flare. I can't find a comfy position at all. Its highly annoying.

So I said bugger the diet and had some cornish fudge. Made me feel a bit better. I also think rest, wheat bags or tens machine may be good to use too.

Hope you feel human again soon.
    Jen xx
  • suzster
    Options
    thank you so much everyone for your kinds words. i'm feeling a little better today so hopefully tomorrow i can come here and catch up properly! take care all.
    sue