Tickly cough

Options
jackie1955
jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
edited 1. Aug 2009, 10:15 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all,

Been on MTX about 4 months now, no side-effects as I know of.

But I have a funny little cough, it starts like a little tickle way down past the back of my throat and then I do a little cough. It started about 3 weeks ago, I didn't pay it much attention as its not a 'bad' cough and I'm not coughing all day. I might have a cough when I get up, then sometimes in the evenings.

Its not a problem to me but I am wondering if its a side-effect of the MTX, or just lingering because of my lowered immune-system? I feel fine and don't have any other problems.

I see my consultant on 10th August, do you think its ok to wait until then to mention it?

Jackie

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jackie,

This is interesting.

I, too, have a little tickly cough and I reckong mine started with taking Mtx over 18 months ago now. Mine's at the back of my throat either to the left or right side - just a few little pathetic coughs are enough to send it on its way but I'd say that it's there on and off throughout the day.

I also have a frog in my throat that is there alot of the time so I always seem to have the urge to clear my throat and even when I've urumph a few times it can still be there.

I think it must be the Mtx, but I'm glad you've put up this post because now I know it not just me and old age :roll:

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Options
    Hi girls

I have been on MTX for around 9 years and have a cough that
    just wont shift, had it a long long time now.

Saw the ENT about it around 2004 and have just been referred
    again to them because of the cough and what feels like a
    permanent cold.

However I have a family trait of asthma, coughs, chest probs so I cant say with me its the meds but I dont think they have helped an already weak chest.

Hope you are both feeling not too bad today.

Kath xx
  • annic4363
    annic4363 Member Posts: 67
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Hi all,

Been on MTX about 4 months now, no side-effects as I know of.

But I have a funny little cough, it starts like a little tickle way down past the back of my throat and then I do a little cough. It started about 3 weeks ago, I didn't pay it much attention as its not a 'bad' cough and I'm not coughing all day. I might have a cough when I get up, then sometimes in the evenings.

Its not a problem to me but I am wondering if its a side-effect of the MTX, or just lingering because of my lowered immune-system? I feel fine and don't have any other problems.

I see my consultant on 10th August, do you think its ok to wait until then to mention it?

Jackie

For sure! I was on MTX for about a year and nearly all the time I had a persistent tickly cough which occasionally morphed into a full blown Chest Infection.

It turned out to be a side effect of the MTX and eventually got me taken off it.

I would always mention all symptoms to your Rheumy consultant and or nurse as the drugs we take are pretty powerful stuff and can affect you all sorts of ways.

Chat soon

Annie
    x
    xx
    xxx
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi girls,

Thanks for replies. Linda, you got me thinking...... it could be old age with me too :shock: lol

I do so hope its just one of those things, I was feeling so pleased with the MTX and so hope I don't have to come off it because of this.

Jackie x
  • lindalegs
    Options
    jackie1955 wrote:
    Hi girls,

Thanks for replies. Linda, you got me thinking...... it could be old age with me too :shock: lol

I do so hope its just one of those things, I was feeling so pleased with the MTX and so hope I don't have to come off it because of this.

Jackie x

Hi Jackie,

Personally I wouldn't give up the benefits of Mtx for this little cough - I hardly notice it nowadays and as I said earlier just a couple of soft coughs and it goes away till later. Hence it doesn't worry me if it is a side effect of taking Mtx.

Hi Kath,

Thanks for asking I'm very well at the moment :D

I've never had a chest infection (touch wood) and have not even had a cold since starting Mtx (doubly touch wood) so it doesn't worry me enough to mention it to my Rheumy (sorry Annie :oops: ) - my fear would be if they stopped me taking Mtx - now that is scary :shock:

Love, Legs x
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    Options
    The plot thickens.

I`m OA so don`t take MTX, BUT for several months have had a cough - nothing much, just annoying - that won`t shift.

So, is this another of Arthurs little sidelines, or is it just coincidence?
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Options
    Hi all
    i have a funny little cough too! i started MXT about 4wks ago but had the cough before that. also my voice goes abit funny and i clear my throat a couple of times then its ok, and sometimes i kind of choke on a drink, bit of food or just fresh air?
    anyone else get this?
    i didnt have this before RA
    and i am 33 so its not my age
    its not a big problem but think i might mention it next time i see rhuemy, just incase.
    thanx for thread has made me think about it, arthur is so much more than a painfull joint or ten :!:
  • lindalegs
    Options
    page35 wrote:
    Hi all
    i have a funny little cough too! i started MXT about 4wks ago but had the cough before that. also my voice goes abit funny and i clear my throat a couple of times then its ok, and sometimes i kind of choke on a drink, bit of food or just fresh air?
    anyone else get this?
    i didnt have this before RA
    and i am 33 so its not my age
    its not a big problem but think i might mention it next time i see rhuemy, just incase.
    thanx for thread has made me think about it, arthur is so much more than a painfull joint or ten :!:

I also choke on fresh air, food or drink Page, we did have a thread on this some months ago and alot of us find we choke quite easily.

RA is also classed by some as a body disease it's just that the visible thing is swollen and deformed joints :shock:

Love, Legs x
  • joyous
    joyous Member Posts: 179
    Options
    hi i to have perment cough i do have asthma as well, and i work in petrol st . i have just had a chest infection but it seems to have lasted bout 3 wks now i have always suffered with my chest . im on mtx as well dont think this weather helps at all x :(