Just diagnosed

Options
newbury1
newbury1 Member Posts: 112
edited 26. Aug 2009, 15:11 in Say Hello Archive
Hi, I've just been diagosed with osteoarthritis of the spine. Feeling very down right now as I seem to be facing (according to my doctor) the rest of my life on painkillers and anti-inflammatories - not something that was in my plans for the future. Can anyone give me some advice on how to cope with this? :cry:

Comments

• lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Newbury,

I can't help on the OA front 'cos I'm a rheumatoid but wanted to say hello and welcome you to the forums.

If you put a post on the Living With Arthritis Forum - there'll be lots of help forthcoming I'm sure.

Luv Legs :D
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • evabuk
    evabuk Member Posts: 108
    Options
    newbury1 wrote:
    Hi, I've just been diagosed with osteoarthritis of the spine. Feeling very down right now as I seem to be facing (according to my doctor) the rest of my life on painkillers and anti-inflammatories - not something that was in my plans for the future. Can anyone give me some advice on how to cope with this? :cry:

welcome to the club...I know just how you feel, as I am recently diagnosed myself with the same think - neck and lumbar spine.

It's something very hard to come to terms with...I've been reading and reading on here, and learned an awful lot already, so I recommend keep coming here for info and comfort!

The lovely people on the helpline I spoke to today reecommended a book called Your Guide to Back Pain by Dr John Tanner...apparently it's a brilliant "bible" of various options for the likes of us - I've just ordered it from amazon for £9.

hope to see you around some more :)
  • newbury1
    newbury1 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    Many thanks to you both for your support. I'll have a look for the book you recommended on amazon.

It's great to have a community like this with people who understand.
    :P
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Newbury

Welcome to the forum. I am sorry that you have had a diagnosis of OA of the spine. You could ask to be referred to a pain clinic. There are also steroid injections that can be given which is not a solution but can give relief if they work, for a few months. I must admit to be told, what your doc said to you, does sound very depressing, but not all is lost yet. There are other things that can at least be tried. Acupuncture has quite a good success rate in the back department too. There are also pain management courses one can attend, and Arthritiscare run these. You could drop a message to them on the helpline zone or give them a call.

At least now that you have found us, you are not alone in all this, if that is how you felt. We try to help when we can and are good at offering sympathy and this is the place to have a rant as we do understand on here, all being in the same boat to a greater or lesser degree.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Sorry to hear your Dr. was so blunt with you and that you've gotten this diagnosis. Dont despair 'tho as there are many things which can help with the pain including pain killers anti imflammatory tabs, injections, heat/cold packs, TENS machines, physio, exercise, acupuncture.
    None of these will take away the pain forever but they can at times make things a bit more bearable. Also, I'm glad you've found this site, if you want a chat or advice or just to see how others are coping this is the place for you. The living with Arthritis forum is full of support and advice and wonderful people. :)
  • jackie1955
    jackie1955 Member Posts: 632
    Options
    Hi Newbury,

Just wanted to welcome you to the forum, and know you'll get all the help and advice you need on here :)

Jackie