OA and the DDA

holmesi
holmesi Member Posts: 96
Hello peeps ,Can anybody tell me if OA [wear &tear]is covered by the DDA as I think uncle arthur is going to make doing my job very difficult[painful] hope everybody is having a grand day,holmesi

Comments

• harleyd14
    harleyd14 Member Posts: 259
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi holmesi.
    well i am having probs at my work, infact they are dismissing me under ill health and i know i am covered by DDA, so i would presume that ALL us poor peeps with this Arthur are covered, as it is classed as a disability, whether we like it or not, and you can claim for DLA too.
    there are many sites to help, ACAS, Disability Law, CAB or just type in "is arthritis a disability" in your search bar, make sure you icon for pages from uk, and that should give you plenty to read and digest.
    if work are getting a bit....poopie (??!!) with you, i, like i did, would join a trade union if you are not already with one.
    hope some of this helps, and dont let em get you down, take care, love Sally.x :D
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    Hi
    Love your camel by the way.
    It depends on how it affects your day to day whether covered by DDA.
    Having said that occupational health hadnt even heard of what i had and then said i wasnt covered!! idiots........deciding whether i fancy ripping their heads off or not!cos theyre wrong.
  • eckstardeluxe
    eckstardeluxe Member Posts: 1,192
    My OA is Secondary so not caused by wear and tear but mines is covered under the DDA. Why should yours be any different?

If your illness impacts your daily life then it is pretty much a disabilty and especially if you are affectedat work.

Fight, I say. Doing it myself and I'm not giving up. I don't care what they say to me, I'm not backing down on the way I'm being treated just now.
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    You are deffo covered under dda...i'm in the same boat as you waiting to be finished under medical inneficiency. :(
  • holmesi
    Hello everyone ,thanks for that info work is trying to get me under ill health retirement [they keep saying your'e not covered by DDA the occi health hasn't put it in your report!]funny he has said I have got arthur and it is a permanent condition and it is wether I can deal with the pain or not.yes the camel is nice ,I really wanted a Donkey[beast of burden just like the poor posties]manager actually likenened me to a donkey on the beach must of thought it was funny ,But never mind every donkey has his day!!.
    Thanks again,holmesi 8) 8) 8) :roll:
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    as eckstardeluxe says........fight!! there is a word of caution however,if you have to be finished by work let them make all the noises...you should end up with more money.

Start a grievance procedure and if all fails take 'em to a tribuneral!! :wink:
  • holmesi
    markc1 wrote:
    as eckstardeluxe says........fight!! there is a word of caution however,if you have to be finished by work let them make all the noises...you should end up with more money.

Start a grievance procedure and if all fails take 'em to a tribuneral!! :wink:
    oh yes no problem there,if they want to get rid of me let them try to do it, managers been trying that since 10 days into the sick leave,didn't know what was wrong then[maybe he's got crystal ball not]compassion is not in their works ethic.

thanks for the advise anyway, moan over,holmesi :roll: :roll: :roll:
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    hi my son a post man and it is a very hard job did not realise how many sacks of mail they have to deliver. and all that waiting about till specials arrive gets to him i must admit. but do not go easy they will try to push u with the least they can .do not let them as it is your future good luck mind u all these benifits makes your head spin to know who can get what and where not put in for any thing so far but not looking forwed till have to lol
    val
  • chrissycat
    chrissycat Member Posts: 28
    Hi holmesi

I agree with the others. Fight!!!..
    There are loads of organisations you could contact to see if they could help. Join a union if you can cos then you can take a rep to whatever meetings you have - they can't stop you taking someone in.

CAB,HSE, DDA, I'm sure there'll be others on the forum who've gone through what you are who will know which ones.
    Some solicitors do free consultations if you can find a good one.
    Keep a diary as well.

Take care and don't let them grind you down!!

Christine
    xx
  • eckstardeluxe
    Meant to add. Ask for another Occupational Health Referral. State you are unhappy with the one given and want to challenge this. If they refuse tell them you are going to start grievance procedures. Although OA is not a guaranteed illness covered by the DDA such as MS etc that means nothing, lots of illnesses are because of their impact.

Have you had counselling or any treatment for depression etc. You don't need to answer this but any mental health disorder that has been clinically diagnosed is automatically covered like MS, Cancer or HIV.

Explain your illness and symptoms and tell them you want it in writing that they have recommended the 'reasonable adjustments' required by law for your employer to implement. If your Employer did not do this or make any attempt to, you would win hands down at a Tribunal if it came to it.

Make sure your Employers know you are aware they need to take action first before giving out warnings etc and stating you are not covered. Why did the report not say this, it should have stated info specifically about the DDA. Does your report say you are not covered or mention the DDA at all? Is this why they say you are not covered? If you haven't been properly assessed then a Tribunal will want proof of this.

Don't be frightened that you are appearing heavy handed. These are your RIGHTS!
  • holmesi
    hi everybody,thanks for all the advise ,i am on anti depressants whether that makes me clinicaly depressed i dont know just very down at the moment and the benefit thing is like a minefield to get through ,still in lot of pain mostly in the mornings ,but am debateing whether to go back to work to see how i get on as i seem to be in limbo at the moment over it and that might help if i can start doing something,i realise it could of been a lot worse ,in some respects i appear as if their is nothing wrong with me especially in the afternoon just unfortunate to have a very physical job that has to be done in the morning,seem to be having arguments with my better half all the time and she is very supportive to me ,just hate arguing,seems my personality is starting to change because of arthur,think i should of put this on another forum,but i can't be ar**d printing it out again.
    take care everone,ivor
  • eckstardeluxe
    holmesi wrote:
    hi everybody,thanks for all the advise ,i am on anti depressants whether that makes me clinicaly depressed i dont know just very down at the moment and the benefit thing is like a minefield to get through ,still in lot of pain mostly in the mornings ,but am debateing whether to go back to work to see how i get on as i seem to be in limbo at the moment over it and that might help if i can start doing something,i realise it could of been a lot worse ,in some respects i appear as if their is nothing wrong with me especially in the afternoon just unfortunate to have a very physical job that has to be done in the morning,seem to be having arguments with my better half all the time and she is very supportive to me ,just hate arguing,seems my personality is starting to change because of arthur,think i should of put this on another forum,but i can't be ar**d printing it out again.
    take care everone,ivor

Hi Ivor, that would come under a clinically diagnosed mental health problem, was this discussed with the OH? If not, you need to get that down on the report, very important. An employer must treat someone with mental health problems very sensitively, which my work found out they were on very shaky ground recently the way I was being spoke to or e-mailed etc about stuff. I reminded them of my illness and my determination to go all the way with them and get MIND etc involved, (which is not depression, but PTSD) and they backed off. The thought of going to Tribunal and an employee telling them they were being spoken to like **** after an OH warned them to be sensitive, absolutely had them bricking it. I got my warning recanted and a move to boot. The guy I've got now is fantastic, a real gem, he is very professional but even he hearing my story was like :roll: