my fingrs op

trisher
trisher Member Posts: 9,263
edited 1. Sep 2009, 11:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have had my assessment and that was fine. Then I had to see the surgeon again because I am on Heparin injections.

He said that I will need to have pins inserted and that I will have somesort of cast. He added that and the recovery time will be 3 months.

I really was'nt expecting that I thought 2weeks and I would be fine. It is as long as it takes for hip and knee replacments.

Iam a bit shocked though.

trisher

Comments

• ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Oh what a shock you've had. I really feel for you. When you've gotten over the shock of it, what might help you come to terms with it is knowing that in the long run it will hopefully be worth it. Will you have someone to help you when you get home after your op.? I do hope so. Will you have your op soon? Best of luck
    rita
  • trisher
    Hi Rita

Thank you r our kind words

I have a wonderful husband who looks after me and has done since 6 weeks after our marriage. I have been in ery. asthmatic lost both my legs after years and years of ulcers and skin grafts which did'nt take. Plus a lot more of me went wrong and I had to have major surgery many times Iam classed as servrly disabled

I thought everything was all over ad tried to make the best of it then in May I was diagnosed with RA then OA as well. Then a couple of week sago i found out that I have RA in my lower spine and hips

Oh I'm sorry have gone on and on. I just feel so bad for my husband and I'm feeling low and tearful all of a sudden which is not me. Thanks you for your post to me though I have my op on Saturday

trisher x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Trisher

You have most definitely not gone on and on. I never want to hear you apologise on here again. My goodness, I could not believe what I was reading about you, just then. What a wonderful team you and your husband make. You are just fantastic to have gone all through that. You have much more than your share of ill health. Too much. No wonder you feel low and tearful sometimes. You are so very brave. Goodness your message makes me wonder why I ever feel that I have a bad day. To be diagnosed with RA and OA recently as well is awful.

I want to rush over and give you a gentle hug. I do know that finger ops take a long while. My son's partner's mum has had one thumb done a year or so ago and now the other and she is still not driving and the op was 4 months ago. She is using her hand ok though and is back at work, working with handicapped children so uses her hands a lot, as you can imagine. It does take a long time for it all to heal up and also physio exercises to do after the 6 weeks or so with it in plaster and a sling.

Lots of love to you and please pass on my good wishes to your husband who is doing a grand job, looking after you.

Elna x (())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Trisher
    You take it steady girl!
    Ggod news about the op. remeber the joints in the hands are tiny and very delicate so maybe that's why you have to rest them more.
    Sounds like your hubby is more than capable and willing to look after you!
    Love Toni x
  • debbieclap
    debbieclap Member Posts: 109
    Hi hang in there girl I am sure your hubby helps willingly but I know you want to do things for them I do my hubby is my full time carer gave his job up to look after me. e mail me if you want to talk
    Debbie
  • elnafinn
    Dear Trisher

I wish you all the best with the operation on Saturday - at least you do not have that much time to dwell on it. It has to be done, so best get on and over with it.

I do hope we will hear from you to know how it went - how is your typing with one hand? Perhaps you husband could do a little typing, with you dictating....

You are one brave, lady.

Love
    Elna x(())
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Trisher,

I really hope the opp goes well and am sorry you are going to take much longer to recover than you thought it would be. I think its because the bones are so delicate but I am sure it will be worth it. You take care and try not to worry too much. Cris x Oh and have you found the sulfa is helping you?
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, Sorry you had such a shock, but hands need a lot of care. I have 3 months before I'm supposed to lift heavy waits and do normal things. I only had a carpel tunnel op! I think its because they have to be careful, so that we get a good result as we use them so much! :) Good luck with the op.
    Love Sue
  • trisher
    Hi

To Elna, Toni, Debbie, Sue, Cris

Thank You to all of you for your replies. I will try and type my other hand and let you know how I got on.

Yes I do have a very good caring hubby like most of you have. He would walk to the end of the earth and back for me and I would for him. (well go in my wheelchair).

Cris, the sutlfa has not kicked in yet but rheummy doc said it can take over 3 months to start to feel any benefit. Being I aslo have another illness which is causing my white blood cells to rise they are having to take things very slowly. l have had some injections of medrone which did help for just over a week she was more than willing to let me have another just to give me a bit of relieve.

I have had a long lie in today and feel much better.

I also had a long webcam chat with my Grandson Ben aged four who is in Abu Dhabi whilst his daddy is working out there and he said "Nana just relax" how sweet they are at that age, I miss him so much

Love trisher xx [/u]
  • elnafinn
    Dear Trisher

I knew that you were a great team, you two.

It must have been wonderful for you to chat to little Ben (my son is called Ben :D ). What a cute thing for him to say to his nana. I am sure you do miss him greatly. I have one grand daughter, just turned one years old. She has been a real tonic for me, like a breath of fresh air.

I am pleased to know that you feel better in yourself today.

Love
    Elna x

• kathbee
    kathbee Member Posts: 934
    Hi Trisher

Wishing you all the best with the op.
    It is a long time to be in recovery, but I'm sure with all you have
    had to put up with before this you and your
    hubbie will manage. You are such a brave
    lady and dont even think that you are moaning,
    you are not, you are an inspiration.

Bless your little grandson, dont you just love 'em.

My only grandchild is in Canada so I know what you
    mean about missing them.

Sending all best wishes
    Kath
  • trisher
    Hi Kath

awwe, thank you. I know that there are a lot of people who are worse off than me.

Yes you do miss them don't you. Do you ever have web cam talks with them? They grow up so quickley.

love trisher x
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,898
    Hi Trisher.
    i wish you all the best for your opp on saturday.
    and you have less pain as you have enough to bear.
    i have a friend who has not got any legs and when she go's swimming she wears special legs for the water as they are light they float in the water so she has to wear arm bands to keep her up. joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • trisher
    dachshund wrote:
    Hi Trisher.
    i wish you all the best for your opp on saturday.
    and you have less pain as you have enough to bear.
    i have a friend who has not got any legs and when she go's swimming she wears special legs for the water as they are light they float in the water so she has to wear arm bands to keep her up. joan xx
    Hi Joan

I used to go swimming and loved it and have always wondered what would happen to me if I was still swimming as when I have a bath if try to lie back my head goes under and my stumps stick up. I must look a right sight.

If she ever gets bad phatom pains tell her to ask her GP for Gaberpentin. It really is good and I recomend it

trisher xx
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,898
    Hi Trisher.
    Thank you i will tell her as i know she has the problem.
    i admire you as well as her because you have enough problems with out that as well.
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Hi
    just wanted to wish you all the best with your hand op, do you have to stay in hospital long or is it done in a day?
    best wishes
    page
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Hi Trisher.

I have read through all the messages for you and there is nothing else I can add. You are one remarkable lady and my heart goes out to you both. Somehow, you just find the strength to cope everything.

My problems are tiny compared to yours and I won't moan again.
    I know you won't have the use of your hand for awhile, but time will soon pass. Ever thought of taking up painting with your mouth?
    What do you think?

Your husband sounds like one in a million, apart from mine of course.

Hugs for you and hope everything goes well for you. Keep posting if you can.
    joy
  • funkym
    funkym Member Posts: 24
    hello just wanted to wish u well for your forthcoming operation,do u have ahdns free software maybe instead of typing.
    sending u postive vibes for speedy healing.
  • trisher
    page35 wrote:
    Hi
    just wanted to wish you all the best with your hand op, do you have to stay in hospital long or is it done in a day?
    best wishes
    page

Hi Page

Thank you I will be in hospital for 4 days which is not too long really. I thought I would have the op and go home the next day. Being I have a long complicated medical history I've put it down to that.

trisher
  • trisher
    Hi Joy

Thank you for your message and thank you to eyerybody who sent messages to me.
    Congratulations for gaining a new DIL. I have been looking at posts on here.

Painting by mouth that's a challenge. I know my OH might like that piece and quiet.

love trisher