Yoga

Options
dawnbirduk
dawnbirduk Member Posts: 2
I have done yoga for many years, but at easter was forced to give up because the pain bought tears to my eyes. I have felt much better recently and couldn't wait to start yoga on the 7th Sept, however, during the past week the pain has returned.

I have oa in my knees.

My question is, yoga is supposed to be good for you, am i right in continuing and working through the pain, will this do me any harm. I miss my yoga terribly.

Standing exercises - i can't stand for too long with out feeling achy and wobbly.

Floor exercises are ok - i just do what i can.

My biggest problem is getting up and down on the floor to do the exercises, if i force this am i doing any harm.

Comments

• babette
    babette Member Posts: 128
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Dawnbird

I have an excellent book called "Yoga for Arthritis" by Loren Fischman and Ellen Saltonstall, it has specific modifications for different types of arthritis and many poses can be done sitting on a chair. Great if you want to keep it up without hurting yourself. I do yoga too and it has improved things enormously for me painwise, my problem is with my lumbar spine so I have to do lots of stretches to release the joints. There has been a new study which was reported by the Arthritis Research Campaign which says yoga practice helps with pain and depression.

B x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Dawn

Years and years ago I used to attend yoga twice a week and did yoga every day at home.

Now for years I have done stretching exercises of which a few are yoga poses. I am sure that doing these 6 days out of 7 have kept me more mobile than I would be otherwise. I like to think that anyway. It is now engrained on me to to do them and I am actually disappointed if for some reason I am unable to do so ie after an op or being unwell (other than having arthritis).

If I go on holiday I don't bother, but I have not been on holiday for quite some time now, or at least not for a whole week.

I believe you are right to continue and do as much as you are able. If you have an instructor who is familiar with arthritis all the better and she/he may be able to give you alternative poses to do but this is something you could dicuss with them. You sound as though you are well aware of what your limitations are and that is good.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,493
    Options
    It's always a shame to have to give up something you enjoy and much better to adapt the ways in which you do it. Generally speaking yoga is good exercise for arthritis and it is unlikely to cause damage. However if it makes your pain worse and that pain is still worse after two hours, you could be overdoing it. Talk to your instructor and see if there are some movements you should not do or some that could be adapted to be suitable for you.
    If getting up from the floor is the main problem, Tai Chi can be a good alternative form of exercise.
    Best wishes
    Val