Telling friends

duskstar
duskstar Member Posts: 25
edited 9. Oct 2009, 11:41 in Young people's community
Hey all!

Im 21 and have been told I have oeteoarthritis recently. How did any of you manage to explain to your friends that you struggle to keep up with them? I find it really embarrassing when we are walking or out when I need to sit down and take a break. I dont really want to explain to them over and over what is wrong. I also get embarrassed if they ask if Im okay, I guess Im just hard to please!

Any suggestions or how do you cope?

Sarah

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sarah

If you google "arthritis and the spoon theory" this may help you to explain to your friends why you cannot always do exactly what they do although you would dearly love to do so.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    elnafinn wrote:
    Hi Sarah

If you google "arthritis and the spoon theory" this may help you to explain to your friends why you cannot always do exactly what they do although you would dearly love to do so.

Luv
    Elna x
    Thanks elna so glad i looked in on this forum i dont very often but i really learnt something valueble today the spoon theory and have copyed and pasted it thanks such a loot for sharing it with us all. I have had problems explaining this to friends it should help joanne
    Joanne
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Dear Joanne

I am happy to know that it may be of help to you. Over the time I have been on the forum, this "But you don't look Sick" message has been mentioned, on occasion, as a guide, when people have wished to know how to explain to others how they are feeling and I stored away the information.

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    i read 'the spoon theory last night, wow! it perfectly describes how i feel on a daily basis, thank you so much for telling us!!
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    I think ive use all my spoons already :roll: tired out today.
    am going to show other half later it might help him understand why i dont always get things done, or feel like going out.
    Thanks Elna. x
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Yes ive have used a lot of spoons today also page 35. The weather is turning a little chilly my bones are better than a weatherman for forcasts on weather. :cry:

and thanks again elna for the web page all the best joanne :)
    Joanne
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    I'm going to show this to my hubby. He asks things like how does it feel and I never know how to put it into words. If I'm lucky he'll bath Meg tonight!