Saying Hi!!

gickygawky
gickygawky Member Posts: 478
edited 17. Sep 2009, 23:39 in Say Hello Archive
Hi there! :D

Just thought I would jot a line or two and let you know a little about myself rather than remain lurking in the shadows of cyber space!I am new this site/support groups and don't know of anyone else dealing with arthritis.

I am 33 years old and was diagnosed with Anklyosing Spondylitis about 2.5 years ago. Although in hindsight I suspect I have had some form of arthritis since my teenage years it was a massive surprise and came on after a nasty virus knocked my socks off. One week I was okay and the next thing I new I was completely immobile and unable to move any joints in my body. After lots of tooing and froing and many tests/bloods/scans I received a diagnosis of Ank Spon including my peripherals,and two ruptured, herniated discs, yay! Good times!

I have been on Enbrel since January this year and it has helped alot. I have recently retired from my job as a Headmistress of a small school and this has also helped however I still have alot of stiffness and pain and trouble using my hands and feet so I have just started on Methotrexate. I took my first dose on Monday and today is the first day I feel somewhat normal. It has really taken the wind out of my sails and my brain is so cloudy.

I would be really pleased to meet others who are dealing with similar conditions and trying to work out drugs v's side effects. It would also be great to share a bitter and twisted joke every now and then because when I laugh at my condition my friends get all funny about it. I think that if you don't laugh about it you cry and I have had enough of that for now! :lol:

Best wishes

A x

Comments

• jordan7j
    jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi A, welcome to the site, I have only been on here since July, its a really great help and support. I have RA and OA, but sure there are many with yr condition. Please post on the other sites too, living with arthritis is always a good start. Jay :)
  • robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    Hello and welcome.....

We certainly could do with some help in the joke department (well I could). So go for it.

This lot certainly made me welcome, and helped me.

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi there :D

Welcome to the site. :D I think your best bet is to join us on the Chit Chat zone. I believe you will fit in there very well. You can talk shop with Joan who was a teacher. :roll: :wink::wink::lol::lol: There is a laugh a minute on that zone if that is what you are looking for. :lol: You are definitely right, we do need to laugh about it or we would cry. Hopefully we shall see your name appearing on all the zones.

We all try to help each other and offer support. People come and go and many get totally hooked and stay. :lol::lol: I am one of the latter - I make a right nuisance of myself. :roll: :lol:

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    Thank you for your replies! x

It's nice to know others are having a quiet Friday night at home too! :lol:

I will be sure to post in the other areas and hope to see you there!

A x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Giggy!
    Very pleased to meet yoyu.
    Sorry you had to give up your job :( That is sad for you. Also that you have AS.
    I would just like to welcome you to the forums from me and to say that the best thing about having any kind of arthritis is that you get to come on HERE and talk to us lovely people!
    I hope to see you about on the forums :)
    Take care
    Toni x
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Hi and welcome to the forum. As you can see it is a very friendly place. Sorry about your AS, I know what you mean about a laugh and a joke, it becomes more important somehow.

Take care

DEb
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Hi and welcome look forward to seeing you in the chat room this is a great site you wont be alone anymore best wishs joanne :D
    Joanne