Hi from a newbie

Options
patriciamary
patriciamary Member Posts: 117
edited 18. Sep 2009, 15:09 in Say Hello Archive
I am a 53 year old mother of two. Have had problems for 15 years and was told it was sciatica, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue and a host of other things. Hospitalised 18 months ago with ulcers due to anti-inflamatory medications. Quite sure my Doc thinks I am a hypocondriac. In the last year been diagnosed with OA, lumber spondylosis and osteoporosis. Rhuematologist (1 off consultation) says I need "better pain management" my GP says NO, rhuematologist says I should have physiotherapy my GP says NO. In fact when I asked what the letter from the rhuematologist said I was told "its only sciatic pain and I was to go home and not worry about it" I insisted that I wanted to know what the rheumatologist had said and was told "dont worry its not cancer or anything like that" Eventually put in a request for a copy of the letter and thats when I found out it was O/A etc. Taking co-codomol (30/500) for pain and thats it. Been reading everything on this site for the last month or so and decided its time to stand up to my GP and demand better care. Went to see her and she is away on holiday for a month. Really annoyed because I had worked myself up to challenge her. Reading everyones posts I realise I am not alone and appreciate the chance to get this off my chest. Sorry for moaning.

Comments

• robertls
    robertls Member Posts: 2,304
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome.
    This IS the place to get it off your chest.
    I've only been on this forum for a couple of weeks, but its helped me turn my life around.
    I hope it can help and advise you.

Rob x
    Roba045.gif
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Patricia

Welcome to the site. I am sorry to read your story. You are in the right place to no longer feel alone with all this. We all try to help each other the best we can and offer lots of sympathy. I am impressed that you demanded from your gp a copy of the letter from your rheumi as that is your right. I cannot quite understand where your gp is coming from at all. Sciatica pain alone is horrenduous. I know, I have had it getting on for nearly one year. I am seeing a consultant now about it after physio did not help for long.

I think it may be best if you see another gp if your gp is being so uncaring as that it what it seems to amount to, doesn't it?

Please post again and if you do so on the Living with Arthritis zone more people will see your thread. This section is more for introductions and saying "Hello".

Look forward to hearing from you again soon,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • suzster
    suzster Member Posts: 1,328
    Options
    i agree,ask to see another dr and if you are refused put in a formal complaint, thats what i did and my new dr is fantastic, i'm really pleased i did it as my old dr just didn't seem to care.
    good luck!
    sue
  • janie68
    janie68 Member Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Hello,

I agree with sue, see another dr, you can't wait a whole month to get better pain management anyway which is what you need.

The peeps on this site are very supportive and helpful, you can moan away as much as you like and you don't feel alone.

Welcome

Janie :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options
    Hi Patricia
    Such a shame that we often have to battle for the help we need eh?
    There are options pain reelief wise and you should have access to those you know like a pain clinic and physio too.
    Sounds like uselessGPitis!!
    Anyway you have come to the right place for a moan or a chat - I look forward to seeing you posting!
    Take care
    Toni x
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Options
    Hi, I am sorry you are having to put up with second rate service from your gp. You deserve better. I hope you get it. Have you got another doc covering while yours is away? Maybe you could get them to refer you to physio and a pain clinic? Or at lease help more with pain relief.

Take care

DEb
  • suncatcher
    suncatcher Member Posts: 2,174
    Options
    Im sorry you are having problems with your doc :shock: :x id talk to another while she is away and tell em you are not happy. I dont blame you being and i would demand better care. let us know how you get on joanne :)
    Joanne