Just diagnosed and a bit puzzled

Options
weemcd
weemcd Member Posts: 2
Hello, I'm very new to this but I have had joint pain for many years that has got considerably worse this year. My GP referred me to rheumatology and I had my appointment today. The doc I saw was lovely but it was only after I'd come home that I thought of all the questions I should have asked him.

I told him about pain in my feet and ankles, my knees, hands, hips and elbows. It's worst in my knees. He sent me for x rays of my feet and hands and they showed osteoarthritis in my hands but no problems in my feet. He also thought that I have a "mild rheumatoid " factor and suggested that I continue on the ibuprofin my GP recommended, taking only as much as I am comfortable with. He's arranging for me to have physiotherapy for my knees.

I'm not questioning his diagnosis, but I didn't ask what this means about the sore joints that weren't x rayed...my questions now are whether there is arthritis in them and why were only particular joints X rayed? Is it important for me to know if there is evidence of arthritis in particular joints, or do I just assume that's the reason for the pain?

It's all very new and no doubt further questions will arise as time goes on....

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,488
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the AC forum

I'm sure you will find lots of new and supportive friends friends here. The fact that not all of your joints have not been x-rayed is nothing to worry about. These days it is quite rare that they send you for any x-rays. As he said the ibuprofen may help all the joints however if it gets any worse do go back and ask about other medication options.

for more information all different types of arthritis you may want to have a look at our booklet called Understanding arthritis and also Coping with pain: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets

As you said other questions may arise over time and so feel free to contact us either by phone or email or on here.

Best wishes and have a lovely weekend

simona