hi all

jmartin
jmartin Member Posts: 17
edited 11. Oct 2009, 15:45 in Say Hello Archive
I'm new here today. I'm Jo, 32 from Scotland.

My story is that I have pain in my hands, toes, knees and ankle. I broke my ankle a few years ago and was told at the time I would have arthritis in it within 5 years so I've got that one covered, although I still don't have an official diagnosis.

The rest is a bit of a mystery at this time. General consensus from two GPs is arthritis but the RA blood test came back negative so they aren't interested...the last GP I saw said I should wear a hat and gloves and thick socks and take paracetamol if ibuprofen doesn't work! In other words go away and stop wasting my time.

Sorry to moan, I know others are far worse off than me but I guess frustration has brought me to this forum and I'm looking for ideas on how to be taken seriously.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    jmartin wrote:

My story is that I have pain in my hands, toes, knees and ankle. I broke my ankle a few years ago and was told at the time I would have arthritis in it within 5 years so I've got that one covered, although I still don't have an official diagnosis.

The rest is a bit of a mystery at this time. General consensus from two GPs is arthritis but the RA blood test came back negative so they aren't interested...the last GP I saw said I should wear a hat and gloves and thick socks and take paracetamol if ibuprofen doesn't work! In other words go away and stop wasting my time.

Sorry to moan, I know others are far worse off than me but I guess frustration has brought me to this forum and I'm looking for ideas on how to be taken seriously.

Hi Jo

You will be taken seriously on here - a big welcome to you. We are all in the same boat to a greater or lesser degree and help each other with advice and sympathy. It is a great place to call in and I warn you can become addictive. :lol::lol:

These medics that make light of it and send one away, makes our blood boil on here!! :roll: :shock: :roll:

I hope to see you posting on the other zones very soon.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • turquoiseamber
    turquoiseamber Member Posts: 1
    jmartin wrote:

Hello I'm new here too. Feeling very frustrated and emotional over diagnosis and seem to be meeting brick walls! My GP told me this morning "it's only early onset osteoarthritis" - I never thought this could be so painful, restricting and life changing!
  • jmartin
    Thanks for the welcome. I hope to be joining in properly soon. :D

I think the doc just doesn't realise how debilitating I'm finding this already and even though I've tried to explain in terms of the practical things I told her I was having trouble with, including the ability to get a whole night of sleep, She picked up on the comment I made about holding a hot cup of tea sometimes helps and that's why she told me to wear hat, gloves and thick socks.
  • elnafinn

Hello I'm new here too. Feeling very frustrated and emotional over diagnosis and seem to be meeting brick walls! My GP told me this morning "it's only early onset osteoarthritis" - I never thought this could be so painful, restricting and life changing!

A big welcome to you turquoiseamber :D

I am sure you are feeling emotional and frustrated having just been diagnosed and hearing very unhelpful comments from your gp like you did this morning. You are not alone in this and please do not think that for one moment. Pain is pain and if these gps do not know enough about arthritis they should refer you and not utter flippant comments and show you the door.

You call in on the Living with Arthritis forum with this posting and I assure you, you will receive sympathy and help from the rest of us. We are all in the same boat to a greater or lesser degree and help each other to cope with it all.

This zone is really for saying "hello". I look forward to seeing your name on the other forums very soon. I will look out for you.
    :)
    Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • elnafinn
    jmartin wrote:
    Thanks for the welcome. I hope to be joining in properly soon. :D

I think the doc just doesn't realise how debilitating I'm finding this already and even though I've tried to explain in terms of the practical things I told her I was having trouble with, including the ability to get a whole night of sleep, She picked up on the comment I made about holding a hot cup of tea sometimes helps and that's why she told me to wear hat, gloves and thick socks.

I really think this gp does not know much about arthritis to utter unhelpful comments like that. :roll: If hands are a problem soaking them in really hot water does help. I sometimes wrap a heated up (in microwave) wheatbag around my hands which I find comforting.

This is really an introduction and "hello" zone.
    :oops:
    Please call in and join us, I will look out for you. :)

Luv
    Elna x

• jmartin
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Jo

A bit of a belated welcome from me. Sorry you are feeling let down by your GP, it isn't uncommon unfortunately. Do hope you find it helpful to use the forums, I have learned such alot though am relatively new here myself. Do join in where ever you feel able to.
    Take care
    Chris