contact sports?

Options
bailey27
bailey27 Member Posts: 689
Hi
I have had back problems since late teens and now at 29 have finally had a diagnosis of Spondyloarthritis.
I am heavily into my sports and since being on the 15mg of prednisalone I have managed to get back t my sports and gym routine.
the question I have is that of contact sports.
I have read online that people with this type of arthrits are more susceptible to spinal fractures so was wondering whether I should avoid contact sports. I love kickboxing and often spar with the guys quite heavily. I would like to know whether this is safe to do so???

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Bailey 27,

Thanks for your enquiry to Helplines. I'm afaid the chances are that contact sports won't be recommended, or anything in the gym that's classified as 'high impact'. Heavy weights are unlikely to be safe either, but do check with your rheumatology team.

I'd be surprised if you will continue on steroids for that long - and you will probably be recommended onto disease modifying treatment (examples are anti-malerials, sulpahzelazine, or methotrexate).

In the short term steroids can help you feel better quickly, but can be associated with a lot of long-term side effects.

If you'd like any more information on arthritis do see our booklets http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Listedbytype/Booklets

any other questions, and you are welcome to ring us on our freephone or come back to us here.

Hope that helps

Guy
  • bailey27
    Options
    Hi
    Thanks for that
    Yes I am due to start Sulfasalzine (please excuse if spelling incorrect) in a few weeks. I had the letter this week from the clinic where I will have my bloods monitored and they have given me a start date to start taking them.
    I am really into my sports and have always been into contact and team sports . The only other sport I like is running but I have already been told ot stop that straight away due to the deteriaoration in my knee.
    If I feel fit and feel strong is there a lower risk of actually sustaining a more serious injury or is the fact that I finally feel good just masking what is actually going on inside??
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,490
    Options
    Hi
    It's important that you get a balance between looking after yourself and your arthritis, whilst still continuing to do the things you enjoy. So although high-impact contact sports aren't really safe when you have spondyloarthritis I'd hate to say give up kickboxing when it's clearly something that you love. So I'm going to leave that one up to you - it would be a good idea to let the guys you spar with know what's going on with you. And team sports would be way safer.

Steroids are very effective for pain but they are not actually treating your arthritis which is what sulfasalazine is for. When this drug starts to work (it can take up to three months) you can reduce the amount of prednisolone you take - it's not great to stay on steroids for a long time because of their potential side effects (e.g. bone thinning).

Good luck and respect to the dojo
    Paul
  • bailey27
    Options
    Thank you very much for your advice. Much appreciated!