alternative treatments/meds

stepdeb
stepdeb Member Posts: 27
Hi,

I'm really scared about taking conventional meds prescribed for my arthritis. I took methotrexate for a while but couldn't tolerate the side effects, now my doctor wants me to take Leflunomide. I have other autoimmune problems and high blood pressure and am concerned that the effects of the meds will make other parts of my body worse.

Does anyone know of a rheumatologist who will consider alternative treatments and see me as a whole rather than just the 'arthritis'?

I am really concerned as I do not want to damage the joints affected but don't want liver or kidney problems because of the meds.

Any help or advice would be welcome.

Many thanks
Debbie

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Debbie,

Thank you for your enquiry to Arthritis Care. You are unlikely to find a rheumatologist who will willing to use complimentary medicine instead of dmards (disease modifying drugs) I'm afraid.

If you are wanting to make an informed choice about treatment options. It's worth finding out what level of inflammation your arthritis is showing. If your inflammatory levels (ESR / CRP results) are high - or your Disease Activity Levels are high then dmards may be unavoidable if you want to prevent long term disability.

The monitoring of your liver and kidney function is done so if you react badly to a drug you are taken off it to prevent long term damage to organs.

Inflammatory disease if uncontrolled is very damaging to health, so finding an effecitve treatment is why rhuematology exists.

You may want to see if a rheumatologist is able to discuss alternative drugs - anti malerials are somewhat milder, or there's sulphazelazine and the list goes on.

Increasing your intake of omega 3 fish oil to at least 3gm per day is well evaluated for it's anti inflammatory effect, as is adopting a mediteranian style diet. (See 'Diet and Arthritis' by Dr Gail Darlington - she's the rheumatologist at Epsom Hospital.)

I wonder if you might be interested in our self-mangagement courses?

Hope that's helpful
    Guy
  • stepdeb
    stepdeb Member Posts: 27
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    thank you.
    Hi Debbie,

Thank you for your enquiry to Arthritis Care. You are unlikely to find a rheumatologist who will willing to use complimentary medicine instead of dmards (disease modifying drugs) I'm afraid.

If you are wanting to make an informed choice about treatment options. It's worth finding out what level of inflammation your arthritis is showing. If your inflammatory levels (ESR / CRP results) are high - or your Disease Activity Levels are high then dmards may be unavoidable if you want to prevent long term disability.

The monitoring of your liver and kidney function is done so if you react badly to a drug you are taken off it to prevent long term damage to organs.

Inflammatory disease if uncontrolled is very damaging to health, so finding an effecitve treatment is why rhuematology exists.

You may want to see if a rheumatologist is able to discuss alternative drugs - anti malerials are somewhat milder, or there's sulphazelazine and the list goes on.

Increasing your intake of omega 3 fish oil to at least 3gm per day is well evaluated for it's anti inflammatory effect, as is adopting a mediteranian style diet. (See 'Diet and Arthritis' by Dr Gail Darlington - she's the rheumatologist at Epsom Hospital.)

I wonder if you might be interested in our self-mangagement courses?

Hope that's helpful
    Guy