Fibromyalgia

minky67
minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
hi, i got diagnosed with fibromyalgia yesterday.
i already have OA,cervical & lumber spondylosis,& costochrondritis.
the new diagnosis does explain alot of things that i have suffered with unexplain for nearly 2 years.
i brought a Tens machine today(as suggested by consultant at pain clinic)
ive been advised to join a pilates course for gentle stretching exercising & buy a book on CBT.Then a horse shoe shaped pillow for my ear ache.
im not made of money,the book im wondering if i can get from the library,the Tens machine has cost me £40,now im expected to join a pilates class.
what im really asking is are the physiotherapy exercises that ive been doing not enough or do i really have to pay to join a class to do pilates. :?: im so tired all the time if i did join a class i cant guarentee that i can even go,plus my OH would have to take me & pick me up as i cant drive far.
im also concidering contacting social services to reassess me for more help at home,i need a decent mattress a chair that i can sit in comfy & get in & out off.
any advice i would be grateful for as im feeling a bit lost at the minute & dont know which way to turn for help.
thanks guys you all do a great job & i dont like asking for help.
debs

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Debs,

Thanks for your enquiry to Helplines. Things sound tough at the moment and it sounds as though you may take a while to process this news and decide what self-management is right for you. Fibro can involve a double bind as the way forward involves therapeutic exercise, and things that at times you may feel too low to do fully.

Self-management involves finding out information, and making choices and trying things for yourself. Trying things like pilates may be worth it for you - and you'll have to make up your own mind.

On the subject of beds and chairs... it may be worth applying for benefits to help with the costs - see welfare rights at your local CAB. It may be worth applying for some grant funding - this is a good website to help you do that (our organisation does not have a grant fund) http://www.turn2us.org.uk/

I hope you will find that the forum can offer some support - especially on living with arthritis.

And do have a look at the links on self-management courses as they are very down to earth and practical.

Hope that's helpful

Guy
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    Hi Debs
    you may be able to get a DVD of pilates from library too, you could give it a try see what you think.
    also some places do drop in classes so you could just try one class and see if you enjoy it.
    i can uderstand your money worries we dont have alot either and arthur just adds to it :roll:
    sorry to hear you have fibro.
    take care
    page
  • juliefybrobull
    juliefybrobull Member Posts: 11
    :cry: hello all i understand why people get so fed up i have fybromyalgia ,osteoporosis,spondylosis, and osteoarthritis, and my dog breeze knocked me over about three weeks ago and my back has been so painful i dont sleep well at the best of times now i am lucky to get three full hours ,i am getting very snappy as i feel i have to do everything in the home and its soo0 painful just caring for myself yesterday i made 2 apple cakes for my grandchildren they are not that much hard work but today my hands are so painful and neck and shoulders , please dont think i constantly moan < i dont> i just wish my husband could realise how difficult life is getting for me ,he doesnt do any housework or cooking actually he doesnt do anything just sleep he does go to work and i appreciate that but should i suffer just to try putting the washer machine or cooking a meal ,i use a wheelchair as i cant walk too good and have a damaged foot ,i have triedtalking to him but he just gets angry and causes a argument .have you any advice please gentle hugs x
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Hi,sorry ive not answered ive ment to do a post but having trouble getting my head around all this.
    page thank you,im gonna try the librabry for dvd & a book for CBT as i cant afford the classes,i have to read this book too.i may try swimming,as they told i need gentle exercise for a chronic pain sufferer.
    julie,sorry your having a bad time.i take my OH with me to all appointments so he can hear exactly whats going on,that way he does understand.I cant drive to the hospital so he has to come.
    I too have cervical & lumber spondylosis,prolapse disc,osteoarthrisits & now fibro.My moods are all over the place,i have hot & cold sweats,feel like ive got a constant cold.
    my meds are to be changed to tramadol,Gabipentin(sp)if there no good then prega(sp)i also have to carry on with the 50mg amptripyline,diclofenics,oramorph & have a new med for IBS.
    so just a bit to get my head around.ive brought a Tens machine thats helping with the neck pain.I'll do a post on the living with arthritis site soon.as this is the helpline.but im having to take time to get around all this & my meds are due to be changed next week.so bare with me.
    luv debs & thanks.
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,463
    :cry: hello all i understand why people get so fed up i have fybromyalgia ,osteoporosis,spondylosis, and osteoarthritis, and my dog breeze knocked me over about three weeks ago and my back has been so painful i dont sleep well at the best of times now i am lucky to get three full hours ,i am getting very snappy as i feel i have to do everything in the home and its soo0 painful just caring for myself yesterday i made 2 apple cakes for my grandchildren they are not that much hard work but today my hands are so painful and neck and shoulders , please dont think i constantly moan < i dont> i just wish my husband could realise how difficult life is getting for me ,he doesnt do any housework or cooking actually he doesnt do anything just sleep he does go to work and i appreciate that but should i suffer just to try putting the washer machine or cooking a meal ,i use a wheelchair as i cant walk too good and have a damaged foot ,i have triedtalking to him but he just gets angry and causes a argument .have you any advice please gentle hugs x

Dear Juliefybrobull

Thank you for your message on the forum. As you are having such a difficult time and your message is of such a personal nature I am sending you a private message in response to your posting.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
  • juliefybrobull
    juliefybrobull Member Posts: 11

Dear Juliefybrobull

Thank you for your message on the forum. As you are having such a difficult time and your message is of such a personal nature I am sending you a private message in response to your posting.

Best Wishes
    Dawn[ hi dawn sorry i cant seem to get my private message x