jaw swollen, anyone know why?

suzster
suzster Member Posts: 1,328
edited 27. Oct 2009, 16:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
i just bit into something and i got a really sharp pain in my jaw and i couldn't open or close my mouth for abit until the pain subsided. now it really hurts to open my mouth and my face looks swollen where my jaw meets my ear.
the swelling feels like it my muscles, the muscles feel tight and achy.
i'm waiting for a dr to ring me as they have mo appointments at all, so phone call was my only option.
any advice would be welcome as i look like a lop sided hamster!
thanks!
sue

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sue,

That's sounds horrible for you. I think you should probably go see your gp cus it might be a few things though probably the bone things are in the frame. Have you got pain in your ear or teeth? See what the doctor says when he rings you but I think he should say he will see you as it could be a few things. Luv Cris x
  • suzster
    well, just spoke to dr, she thinks i've pulled a muscle in my jaw!!
    she said to try to keep moving it and massage the muscles, take painkillers if needed.
    it may be swollen and sore for a few days, but because i can feel the muscle tightening when i try to move my mouth she said it very unlikely to be anything serious.
    so thats good, but it does look funny with one side of my face swollen up.
    no rude comments please rehab!
    sue
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Hi, sounds painful, some one mentioned that a pain relieving gel is good on the jaw.
    Hope it improves soon

Deb x
  • suzster
    most of the pain reliving gels have anti imflam in them so can't use it!
    even gp couldn't suggest anything because of the meds i'm already taking.
    i'm trying to keep it moving but it is really sore, the muscles keep spasming, gp said that it should calm down in a day or so, but also said to keep it moving and massage the muscles, but that hurts to!
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, Ohhhhhhh that sounds so painful... I hope it soon settles down for you. Can you manage to talk, eat and drink alright or is it too painful? I remember someone I know getting their mouth stuck open and having to go to the hospital, she said it was very painful and embarressing! The jaw was dislocated. :shock: Take care, love Sue
  • suzster
    ouch, that sounds worse than mine!
    i can drink but talking and eating are more painful, soup for tea i think!
    sue
  • debbierose
    debbierose Member Posts: 403
    Sue,
    have you an old fshion Dr White
    warm it up and loop it round your ear and then lie on it.
    it will keep the mucsle warm so it doesn't stiffen up any further
    the joints inbetween my jaws are to large so I often get a swelling there and I find this helps. or one of those heat cushions or little hot water bottle.
    lol
    .gif[/img] [img]http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/a143 sorry couldn't resist this image.[/img]
  • suzster
    debbierose wrote:
    Sue,
    have you an old fshion Dr White
    warm it up and loop it round your ear and then lie on it.
    it will keep the mucsle warm so it doesn't stiffen up any further
    the joints inbetween my jaws are to large so I often get a swelling there and I find this helps. or one of those heat cushions or little hot water bottle.
    lol
    .gif[/img] [img]http://www.cosgan.de/images/more/bigs/a143 sorry couldn't resist this image.[/img]

oh, the smiley didn't work, what was it?
    sue
  • debatat
    debatat Member Posts: 659
    Sue that sounds so painful, did the gp give you a muscle relaxant to help with the spasms or are you already on them? Heat does sound your best bet.

Hope it heals quickly

Deb x
  • lesleygraham
    lesleygraham Member Posts: 91
    Hi Sue
    I don't know if you suffer from RA, I do and I have it in my jaw. When I get a flare up I suffer similar symptoms to you so is it possible you have a flare. Just a thought!!!
    Take care
    Les
  • debbierose
    debbierose Member Posts: 403
    e154.gif

hows the jaw hope its gone down now.
    the smilie reminded me of a hamster. hahaha
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Gosh what a strange and worrying thing to happen to you. Hope the painkillers and heat have a good effect and it settles down for you soon. That smilie made me smile.