Opinions On My Job

tyson00
tyson00 Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Oct 2009, 17:26 in Living with Arthritis archive
I was diagnosed with OA about 10 years ago. I have been a meter reader for the past 12 years. My job consists of being on my feet all day and walking an average of at least 4-6 hours a day. It's gotten tough over the years with my right knee and lately my hips have really started to bother me.

My question is do you guys think I'm hurting myself even more with this job or is it good for me to be up and moving around and staying active?? Am I overdoing it? It's tough to quit because I just don't know what I would do for $$$.

Comments

• vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum. A tough question I think it all depends on how much you suffer after a days work. I know it's best to keep fit and as active as you can manage but not to push yourself too hard. If you still hurt the next day I would say you are doing too much but it's hard to balance it all. You could post on chat to our helpline team they always help.

Love
    Vonski x
  • tanith
    tanith Member Posts: 175
    I'd say that you really aren't doing any more damage as your job is does not include heavy work such as lifting etc... generally walking is good but only you know how you are feeling after a whole day of it... I carried on with my job for 8yrs after diagnosis but my job included heavy lifting and eventually lead to a THR.. so I had to take early ill-health retirement... its was the hardest decision I think to make but when I found that I just couldn't cope with the workload I knew the time had come...
    Depending on your circumstances of course would not cutting down the amount of hours/days be possible in the first instance and see if you can cope for a while longer... its not an easy decision to make.. depending on the company you work for and the provisions they make for ill-health or early retirement and your age of course... I was able to claim Incapacity Benefit (now called ESA) until my pension kicked in which was a help but didn't replace my full wage of course.... It was a struggle and I don't know how I would of managed had my husband not been still working...
    Our worst times are always our best lessons.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hello, I can understand that your job involves a lot of bending and walking, I've had meters in some ackward places! It also means that you are doing a lot of walking, too. If you find that it is making you really tired and giving you lots of pain, you may have to think of a change. I imagine that their are other jobs within the same company, although its not easy to change jobs as it used to be, your employers do have certain responsiblities. I think you need to know what these are before making any big changes. The help line here may be able to tell you more, or the Citizens Advice may too would be able to offer advice.

Have you been able to have a good discussion with your GP about what your work entails. Mine gave me a lot of advice as did the physio, too.
    Good luck, I hope all goes well for you, love Sue
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Are you able to talk to occupational health? It should be confidential and they should know whether or not redeployment within the company is a possibility. I can understand not wanting to lose your job or even cut down the hours. I have lost my job and been told that I'm unemployable (not due to arthur) and it was a big blow to our finances. We are moving to a smaller house so that I don't have to keep looking for work. Most of all I miss having the outlet and I miss seeing people everyday. If you don't feel that occ health are the best way to go, then maybe CAB can advise you of your rights first so at least you know then if your employer is fair. As for, are you overdoing it? You are the only one who can decide that. If you are not able to recover by the next day on a regular basis then I would say you are overdoing it. On the other hand, sitting behind a desk all day can be just as bad if the joints are not being used. Can you talk to your rheumy nurse about it? They would be able to advise you about what is sensible. It would be different depending on which joints are most affected.

Wow, I ramble at times! Hopefully you can pick out the useful bits from above. Take care and dont' rush into any decisions.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Hi Tyson,

Sorry to hear your story. Likewise I suffer with my knee - had a TKR 2 years ago and the other needs doing now. Exercise is good and the thought nowadays is keep as mobile as possible but it depends what the pain and discomfort is like for you. Would it help to wear a knee brace or similar? I take it you have very comfortable shoes and you are on painkillers and anti inflammatory meds.

Look after yourself,

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • tyson00
    tyson00 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the responses.

I work for a contractor with the local electric company. There really are no other jobs with my company so I would have to quit the job and move on when the time comes. I've got a nice knee brace that helps but the mind always tells you what hurts most and that's been the hips lately.

I'm new to all this so can I ask how this ESA works?? Can I go ahead and apply for it? Is it paid by the government? Is it hard to get? Any info will help.

Also if anyone has any tips on helping to get tuition for going back to college would be nice. Thanks.