If you want to talk about your problems click here...

kirstym
kirstym Bots Posts: 9
edited 5. Nov 2009, 07:49 in Young people's community
Hello, everyone, im kirsty. Im 15 years old and was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis when i was 14. I have got RH in my right and left wrist and my left elbow. Arthritis isn't easy and i want to talk to anyone, thats felling abit down at the moment i would love to help other people with arthritis and mine is very bad in the right wrist. i just want people to get it help if they think they may have arthritis. even if you only have slight pain, its best to get it sorted and find out what it is even if its not arthritis. I left it and left it and now my right wrist isn't really improving much and my arthritis is slowly spreading even though im on 27 tablets a week and on the highest dose of methotrexate possible. Im here to talk about peoples problems so dont be affraid to talk to me.

Comments

• stephiey
    stephiey Member Posts: 61
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    hi kirsty, im stephanie, im 16 & had arthritis since i was 5. i have arthritis in all my joints. ive been through so much & still struggling. what year are you in? do u go to school at the moment? i just started sixth form & found it hard at first but its getting easier.
    if you ever need anyone to talk to or get advice from someone near your age, then post back a message or send me one direct by clicking on my name.
    take care,
    steph
  • jennaangel
    jennaangel Member Posts: 2
    Hello, My name is Jenna, im 17 and have had arthritis since i was 3 i have suffered with it very bad i couldnt walk at all for the next 3 years of my life i didnt know what to expect but now i guess im kinda used to it i have a few very bad joints atm my knees, left wrist and my neck all these years i have had it vertually everywhere but not my jaw or back and now because ive had it so long and its got worse i even have it in my back now i have had 2 hip replacements about 2 years ago which seem to have helped.
    Now that im seventeen i have just started a new medication called infliximab which i have to take methotraxate with but it makes me feel really sick do you get sick with it if you used to how did u help it????
  • katherine810
    katherine810 Member Posts: 67
    First of all, i'm just going to say how much i'm smiling seeing your ages :)
    I'm Katherine.
    I'm 15, so i love seeing younger people on here.
    I was diagnose at 6.
    I have JRA.
    I rant and complain alot in my diary about pain...
    Its so nice to meet you girls :)
    I will come on here to rant next time, knowing someone will listen, thankyou :D
    Lots of love
    Katherine
    xx
  • purplecats
    purplecats Member Posts: 15
    hiya, ok i feel bit old now, am 23 and have had RA since I was 17. Am due to start Rituximab on wednesday so fingers crossed. :)
    Hope the weather isn't hurting too much.
    Emma x
  • katherine810
    purplecats wrote:
    hiya, ok i feel bit old now, am 23 and have had RA since I was 17. Am due to start Rituximab on wednesday so fingers crossed. :)
    Hope the weather isn't hurting too much.
    Emma x

Awww your not old !
    Your only 23. :D

Lots of love
    xx
  • kate21
    kate21 Member Posts: 24
    hi everyone, hope you're doing well. Just got back from a very long day at work and am in so much pain and absoloutely exhausted. should be in bed really but i just know i won't sleep. at least its saturday and I can have a little lie-in. I can never seem to lie in actually, I'm too stiff and need to get up and get moving, does anyone else feel the same?

I'm 21 by the way and was diagnosed at 18...although have been un-diagnosed by new rheumy (who doesn't have a clue in my opinion) and had my meds taken away! (she is clearly insane!) Have just finished struggling through uni and have made it with a 2:1 so time for a rest now! Hope all you still studying are being open and honest and getting all the help you deserve as there is lots out there for you if you ask.

x Kate
  • katherine810
    Hi everyone,

It's quatre to one in the morning and i cannot sleep at all.

Maybe it's to do with my mock gcse's, or something which i'm about to explain that really got to me today. Then maybe i will be able to get some sleep...

Okay, so today, I was in school, frozen wearing my coat & scarf which I have permission to do, because you know, coldness, joints, stiffness, ouch I don't really need to explain that part to you guys...

Basically, about 3 teachers i don't know come up to me everyday telling me to take my coat and scarf off in the building. Usally, I just try to explain as breifly as i can why i'm actually wearing it.

So anyway, one teacher came up to me today, and said 'you know you shouldn't be wearing your scarf indoors take it off now' or something very similar, and stood right up close to me waiting and watching me take it off. I was a bit immtimidated i guess, and i was just so tired, that i thought no i'm not going to say anything i'm jsut going to do what she said and take it off. Then when i thought she would just leave me alone, she noticed my coat (which is black, and doesn't really stand out) and made me take that off too. I'm just annoyed at myself for not saying anything, but it just got to me how much i couldn't be bothered to explain saying the same thing over and over, where some teachers don't even understand how a person my age who looks normal could have anything wrong with them at all...

It doesn't help when all i want to do is try and blend in and be as normal as i can and i have teachers coming up to me everyday, so i have to explain in frount of loads of staring people and my friends over and over...

It's just a tiny little thing that really got to me today, sorry maybe i an sleep now i've got that off my chest... I feel so tired and drained that i found myself silently crying thinking back to that teacher... and all she was trying to do was what she was being paid for.

I think i'm just overtired. Sorry to go on so much.

Thankyou,
    Lots of love
    Katherine
    xx
  • piratequeen
    piratequeen Member Posts: 13
    Hi Katherine!
    Im 21 and had arthritis since I was 13. I just wanted to say how disgusted I am with the way you were treated by those teachers. Have you spoken to your headteacher?
    When I first got diagnosed my parents and I went to the headteacher and told her everything and what I might need to do and have e.g take medication in class, wear gloves, trainers etc and the headteacher said she would make sure all teachers knew. Therefore whenever I had problems with a teacher I always went, I have permision to wear *insert item of clothing her* from the headteacher, I have arthritis and this helps my joints to feel warm. If they still ask you to remove clothing, do so but get their name and go straight to headteacher and explain what happened.
    I'm pretty pushy anyway so I would/ still am quite happy to shout at anyone, but I understand that it can be quite scary to talk like that to a teacher and I know it seems hard, but you have to. School is meant to support you and they simply aren't. Do you have a teacher who you can talk to? Perhaps ask them what you can do?
  • colinone
    colinone Member Posts: 1,039
    Hi Katherine!
    Im 21 and had arthritis since I was 13. I just wanted to say how disgusted I am with the way you were treated by those teachers. Have you spoken to your headteacher?
    When I first got diagnosed my parents and I went to the headteacher and told her everything and what I might need to do and have e.g take medication in class, wear gloves, trainers etc and the headteacher said she would make sure all teachers knew. Therefore whenever I had problems with a teacher I always went, I have permision to wear *insert item of clothing her* from the headteacher, I have arthritis and this helps my joints to feel warm. If they still ask you to remove clothing, do so but get their name and go straight to headteacher and explain what happened.
    I'm pretty pushy anyway so I would/ still am quite happy to shout at anyone, but I understand that it can be quite scary to talk like that to a teacher and I know it seems hard, but you have to. School is meant to support you and they simply aren't. Do you have a teacher who you can talk to? Perhaps ask them what you can do?

Hi to all you guys
    I'm an oldie from the other side of the web site i offten come hear to read whats going on with you young people and hey i can and do pick up some tips from you all. I hope you realise how much help you give each other through the website and how valued you all are not just by each other but people reading the site. I have had RA and PA for a long time I know how bad it can get and how sick you can feel. your contribution to each other and the site is fantastic, its great to have a moan and to feel so ill and yet find yourself giving out advise and help to each other its wonderful. I wish i had the magic cure for you all. Merry Christmas to you all and all the best for 2009 loads of love and best wishes.
    Colin
  • kirstym
    kirstym Bots Posts: 9
    hey hey, im back ,if anyone noticed. u lot av been avin nice lil conversation by the look of it. iv been sooo busy not had time. if anyone wants to talk then iv got my other one as well kirz_93 which i go on quiet abit. my emails on that 1 as well i think so u can get intouch that way if u like. hope every1s ok at the monent. iv just satrted col and struggling cause i have had all the 'ha ha, what uv got arthritis, o well, be rate' and that was from by bf aswell. i ahte having to expalin and since last time imon more tablets, 52 a week now, and my metho makes me feel like crap tbh. i hope i get a reply back because iv not been on ere sooo long. speak soon hopefully.
    K x
  • kneedown
    kneedown Member Posts: 21
    Hi im 24 and I have had it 20 years, but I try to not let it stop me doing the things I want to do, I also think a active lifestyle helps. Anyone tryed progressive weight training? I found it to be the best form of physio. Any1 from Scortland??? I had afew friends from treatment I lost touch with afew years ago and just wondered how they are getting on.
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    Hi all. At 34 i'm probably banned from this forum :lol: but i just thought i'd pop in and read some of your posts. I have OA in my spine and although only diagnosed 2 months ago, i have had back pain since i was 17 so that was probably OA back then to. Kirsty, at 52 tablets a week you've a long way to catch up with me, i'm on 91 a week!

Anyway guys, i won't cramp your style :lol: i just wanted to say that at 34, i know how hard having arthirtis can be but i think you are all amazing people for coping with it at such a young age.

Stay happy

Carol XXX
  • maxi90
    maxi90 Member Posts: 11
    hi kirsty i'm maxine i was diagnosed with JIA when i was 13 it started in my left knee and spread to my right knee, knuckels on both hands and also my jaw before i was diagnosed i was in so much pain i missed the best part of a whole school year as i was unable to move from the pain but i am now happy to say after 5yrs i am growing out of it so i hope the same will hppen to you that you will grow out of best wishes maxine :P