sore fingers - osteo arthritus

Options
davecar
davecar Member Posts: 11
edited 27. Oct 2009, 10:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi All,

I have had very sore fingers for several months now and I went to see a rhuemotologist last week. He has provisionally diagnosed OA but I have had blood tests and x-ray and I am awaiting an appointment for a scan.

The pain in my fingers, particualrly the index and middle fingers is really bad. I have been on Ibruprofen but that has given me little relief.

The doctor in the hospital has prescribed Etoricoxib - 90 mg per day. I was given no advice about what to expect from this drug. the leaflet contains information about the 1001 side effects but nothing about the plus side.

How long does it take before it becomes effective? Has anyone any experience of this drug in terms of OA in the fingers? I have been taking it for a week now but will it take longer before I feel any improvement?

I would be really grateful for any feedback.

Kind regards,

dave

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Dave

I am sorry to read you are suffering with painful fingers. I take Arcoxia (etoricoxib) 60mg x 2 daily and find they do reduce inflammation and I get no side effects. I am prescribed cocodamol as well which is a painkiller. I do not remember it taking any time for the etoricoxib to start working. I have oa in my thumbs as well as other places :roll:

Look after yourself,
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Options
    Hi, I have OA in my fingers and wrists too. I can't take anti-inflams as I've had a burst ulcer and need to be careful. I hope you soon find some benefit from the medication. Good luck, Sue
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Dave

You could look into the possibility of hand splints from the OT. Some are used in the day and some at night only. Just a thought.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.