Prescription fiasco!

yoshimi
yoshimi Member Posts: 20
edited 28. Oct 2009, 08:45 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone,

I'm really frustrated with my new doctor's surgery. I moved house in August and had to change doctors - which was a shame as my last doctor was so helpful during my diagnosis of RA.

On Friday I faxed the surgery with a request for a prescription of my meds - Sulphasalazine & Hydroxychloroquine. I had previously seen the GP about something else and had asked him all about how to request a prescription.

I had explained that it was urgent as i run out of one Tuesday. I have called three times this last 24hrs! She called me after lunch and said that the doctors needs to know about how much i take and can i prove that ive been getting these meds prescribed! By this point I could feel myself getting tearful.

I don't have an old prescription slip, and i only have the bottle of one and not the pack of the other as proof. I have just sent another fax detailing exactly what i take and mentioning the hospital in case they could ask there. They have said that my records must be on their way as they haven't got them yet.

How long does everyone else leave to request their meds? thank you for reading me venting!

Sarah x

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sarah

I take my script in to the surgery, pop it into a box and can collect a new script 48 hours later after 3.00 p.m. Take it to the chemist on site and get my meds.

Can this surgery fax your old surgery and the person who does the scripts there look you up on the pc as I am sure you will not be erased yet and see what your meds were and let them know? Just a thought.

It must be sooooooooooo frustrating for you. :roll: :shock:
    Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • yoshimi
    Hi Elna,

I did ask axactly that but my old doc's said they don't have any info now i've moved. Anyway I called just a minute ago and the doctor has done the prescription after my final pleading request! just need to get my OH to go and collect it.

It's ackward when my doctor is near to where i live and not anywhere near where I work. I guess i'll just have to drop off the requests way before my meds run out.

thank you,

Sarah x
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Sarah

Glad you got your meds this time but it might be an idea to see a Dr. so you can make sure you don't have the same problem again. Your old Dr. was a bit quick to get rid off your records unless they have all been sent to your new one in which case they should know you need these meds. Good luck.

Love
    Vonski x
  • woodbon
    woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
    Hi, I'd go and see a doctor, as Vonski said, it could happen again, so get things sorted. I don't have any recent experience of the system, but it used to take a silly amount of time to get note through the system, no reason why it shouldn't have got much better with all the technology these days. It is upsetting when something like this happens. Love Sue
  • jaspercat
    jaspercat Member Posts: 1,238
    Hi, I always order my prescriptions when I have one week remaining, that gives the doctors time in case they make a slip-up, that always seems to work, as we have to wait 2 days after we order them, hope you don't have this problem again love Jaspercatxx
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    I had a simular situation a while ago. I have been with my Dr for about 4 yrs. About 18 months ago i went to see the Dr with back pain, this was before i was diagnosed with arthritis. Anyway he gave me pain killers and things settled down, i still got some pain but could manage it myself.

When i had a flare up 18 months later, i phoned up to make an appointment and they said i wasn't registered at that practice! I said i was and that i had seen the Dr 18 months ago. They agreed to see me but said they have no records for me. When i turned up for my appointment i had to fill in a new patient form and they said i needed a new patient medical. I said so where are my records then? They said they didn't know but they didn't have them. On the form i had to fill in why i was changing Dr, i said well what do i put in there since i am not changing Dr. I was in pain and so angry with them.

Turned out that they had sent my records off to Station House as if i was changing Dr!
  • yoshimi
    what is station house? do they send the record there before on to your new doctor?

I have my meds now and my OH has put my script somewhere safe. I think I may set up the thing through the chemist so they request it for you. I feel silly getting upset but it seemed like someone's saying you can't have your meds and that's that - you're going to be ill!

as it all turned out they had received my fax and the doc had written on it 'issue' i think it was an internal confusion.

thanks,

sarah
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Pleased for you, Sarah, it all got sorted ........eventually.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.