ESA -Why no medical - I applied in June

woodbon
woodbon Member Posts: 4,969
edited 30. Oct 2009, 05:51 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I really can't understand the benefits system. I applied for ESA on the 18th June, and I've been receiving it at the basic level since then. I've not filled in a medical form or had a medical. I have seen an Advisor from the Jobcentre. She said I would have to see an advisor once a month for six times and then they would decide which of the 2 Groups to put me in. That was over a month ago.

I had a letter with a 2nd appointment to see an advisor. They also wanted me to take all sorts of things that I havn't got, such as proof of looking for work current CV and what sort of jobs I would like to do now or what sort of training. I phoned and told them that I hadn't been through the process of them deciding fitness for work etc. After a bit of a 'chat' they have deffered any further action for 2 months, so they can do their medical side. This was 2 weeks ago. I still have not heard from them, they are still paying me. I don't know whats going on, its a bit worrying and I feel stuck, but reluctant to phone them as I don't really know who to ring. They have said they are passing me to the Shaw Trust but, I don't know who they are, apart from some kind of charity involved in finding disabled people work. Its all MAD! :roll: love Sue

Comments

• skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hi Sue,

Its really stupid the way they go about it all! I hate to say this but if you don't hear anything maybe you will have to ring them again. I just don't understand how they can refer you to the Shaw Trust before they have bothered to give you the medical..... It just seems like they have made their decision without bothering to look at either you or the facts. Sorry I seem to be getting angry for you :oops: I really hope you can get some kind of answers from them. Luv Cris x
  • woodbon
    Hi Chris, You'r right, I will have to contact them. Its just stressful trying to keep up with all the bits and bobs, which although arn't much, its just one more thing to worry about. I don't want to have a medical and probably go through an appeal, but I need to get things sorted, thanks for the support and I know others have had much worse problems with benefit claims, so really I'm lucky. Sorry for being such a moaner, but it does help to have a rant sometimes! :oops: Love Sue
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Hi Sue,

I reckon over this you have ever right to rant! :D They really can't decide anyone is fit to work without seeing you and yet they have. Oops I am starting to rant for you :oops: I hate the injustice to it all actually. You have enough worries and they just dollop more on you. You have a doctors certificate and they are not doctors.... In the old days when I was classified as disabled the doctors gave a % of disability and I was given a green card. That was a bad enough process to go through but now, well I take my hat off to you people who have the guts to go through it. I just hope at some point, Sue, they will develop a modicum of common sense. You hang in there and I hope they remember they are not doctors. Luv Cris x
  • noeltone
    noeltone Member Posts: 878
    Hi Sue re. shawtrust i have been to them and they help people get back to work they give you cv skills etc do you know where they are they replaced the didabilty officers at job centres well my old offiver went and passed me on to S trust
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Hi Sue

I applied for ESA last September and started receiving it in October. In the meantime I had to attend an interview at the Job Centre plus subsequent job related interviews (x 6). In December they sent me for a medical. In January I heard that my claim was successful. I live in Hampshire.

I don't think they've forgotten you!!

Sharmaine
  • woodbon
    Hi Sharmaine, I have asked but, they don't seem interested at least I'm getting paid. It is a very odd way of doing things though! I'm glad you have got sorted. I live in Norfolk, I know one of the sayings is 'Its another day tomorrow' so they'll catch me one day!
    Love Sue
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Hi Sue
    I am at the same stage as you in claim in that I am on lower rate which goes for 13 weeks & went to see advisor at Jobcentre the week before my op. He said to expect a letter about medical in next week but as I have had major surgery just to put on form & should go to higher rate after that. I haven't recieved that yet. I am guessing every is delayed cos of postal strike. That really is a huge disruption for us all.
    I spoke to my manager tuesday & she was so fine about everything I was shocked! They are still holding my job for me but it so frustrating hearing I have a new counter coming & won't be they to supervise it.
    love Pennie XX