Thumbs

Options
bionic
bionic Member Posts: 75
edited 31. Oct 2009, 10:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
:D Hello all !!! was wondering if anyone knows anything about thumb splints and where I could get one?? I am having difficulty in using my whole hand but the thumb keeps popping out of joint... ouch !! and that is the main difficulty well along with about a 1,000 more but not going to bore you with that at the moment. Take care X :(
No one can help obviously, no worries. Take care x

Comments

• katat1
    katat1 Bots Posts: 43
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    bionic wrote:
    :D Hello all !!! was wondering if anyone knows anything about thumb splints and where I could get one?? I am having difficulty in using my whole hand but the thumb keeps popping out of joint... ouch !! and that is the main difficulty well along with about a 1,000 more but not going to bore you with that at the moment. Take care X :(
    No one can help obviously, no worries. Take care x

Hello Bionic,
    I read your post a couple of days ago and thought somebody might have a 'proper' suggestion for you but I notced today that there has been no response so I thought I would tell you my solution for the same problem a few months back.
    My thumbs kept popping and locking and it was REALLY painful - like an electric shock sort of pain - and I was scared to pick up anything in case it happened and looked for some kind of splint to immobilise my thumbs but did not find anything. I decided to make my own using flat ice lolly sticks which I cut to size and placed on the inside of my thumbs, held in place by wrapping masking tape around them several times. I used them at night or on days when I was at home and not going out (they looked totally daft!) and after about a week the problem disappeared and I have not had any problems with my thumb joints since.
    Maybe worth a try and it's cheap if not cheerful!
    Best of luck,
    Kat
  • c4thyg
    c4thyg Member Posts: 542
    Options
    Bionic,

This type of splint is hard to find and I have to have one made for me by the hospital years ago. I broke my right thumb twice over the years so it is a target for problems now. I wasn't able to have steroid injections because of where the damage was (?) so I was measured for a splint. I wore it at night and during the day when it didn't interfere too much. After a few months the problem seemed to correct itself. I now only get pain there if I write too much or get a flare up. The joint itself doesn't move anymore. If you are having problems finding a good fitting splint see your rheumy nurse about getting fitted for one. If I hadn't lost mine when I last moved house you could have had it.
  • jenzie06
    jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
    Options
    Have a chat to occupational therapy - they can mould you a thumb splint which holds the thumb but doesn't affect the motion of the rest of your hands. My thumbs kept dislocating til I had my ligaments repaired so I got lots of different types of splint. The occy therapy dept are usually v knowledgable and friendly. Wouldn't hurt to see if they have any ideas?
  • bionic
    bionic Member Posts: 75
    Options
    jenzie06 wrote:
    Have a chat to occupational therapy - they can mould you a thumb splint which holds the thumb but doesn't affect the motion of the rest of your hands. My thumbs kept dislocating til I had my ligaments repaired so I got lots of different types of splint. The occy therapy dept are usually v knowledgable and friendly. Wouldn't hurt to see if they have any ideas?
    :) Thanks everyone, I have had steroid injections already and they were useless !!! I will try all your advice thanks again. Take care

Rosie X
  • minky67
    minky67 Member Posts: 2,328
    Options
    Hi,i saw the thumb splints in my chemist(a bit pricey)along with all different sorts.
    worth looking whist you wait for made up 1s.
    hope you find what you need.
    debs