ANA

Options
jordan7j
jordan7j Bots Posts: 346
edited 1. Nov 2009, 07:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
:cry: Hi everyone, been to gp to get results of ANA, as showing symptoms of lupus. Came back negative, but she will write to try to get an earlier appt at the rheumy clinic.
She said my ESR very high, and seems I am in permanant flare, I have pain in my feet and legs and hands every day. The MXT not working so far, am on 12.5 mg now. She thinks they need to add something, I am so fed up. The tramadol and paracetemol dont work, she wont let me have anti inflamatory due to asthma.

So exhausted all the time, and today went out for a while, came back and slept for 3 hours, this is not on, as I work full time with 2 babies, so dont get the chance to rest. She asked if the clinic knows what I do, I told her yes, and she said she is surprised they havent said to cut down. They never seem to listen anyway, she says I have to be more forceful and insisit on sorting out the meds.

Right now I have had enough, cant deal with the constant pain and tiredness, and just carry on as normal. Also have a friend to says I must keep working as I will be bored, and cant be in that much pain. This makes me feel lazy. I now have to wait for a nearer appt, the last one was 4th Sept, and the next was 22nd Jan. GP says it cant be left that long, but clinic says "give it time". I feel like giving up and staying in bed and hiding from everyone and everything. Sorry everyone, but you all understand.

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Jay

I am so sorry to read your posting on a Friday evening. I really think that this friend of yours is being perfectly tactless. I so hope this is not a good friend of yours. Perhaps it came out wrongly what she was trying to say, I hope so. You are most certainly not lazy. Looking after young children when they are your own is tiring enough, but other people's is a double whammy in a way. I admire you that you are able to do this with the health problems you are enduring. I really do not think that I would be able to look after other people's children on a daily basis. I love my grand daughter to bits, but am very tired by the end and I do not do this every day, more like once or twice a week and not generally all day either.

Please do not give up and hide away. You need to talk. I always say a problem shared (with the right people) is a problem halved even if there is no instant solution. Keep calling in on here, we will support you. At least you have a sympathetic gp, it is the clinic that needs to pull their socks up and your gp is on your side and doing her very best for you.

Hang on in there, chin up, you are special to many, please do not lose sight of that.

Lots of love and hugs
    Elna x((()))
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Options
    Hi Jordan

I was sorry to read your post, you sound quite down at the minute so glad you came here. Try your Rheumy or Dr. and talk about what you are going through right now and tell them these meds don't hit the spot. Maybe the pain clinic can come up with something better if you see them.

As for your friend, they can sometimes be so unhelpful probably because they don't understand what it's like. Try not to let it get you down too much.

Love
    Vonski x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi
    I'm very sorry to hear that you've been feeling so low and exhausted. You must do what is right for you - your friend is wrong to say you should continue in full time work. That will have to be your decision. If you are finding it hard then it must be. Please go back to your GP and ask for help and advice. Could you ask for an Occupational Therapist to assess how you could possibly cope with your job better - you may need better seating etc.

I'm sure if you post your concerns on the working with arthritis part of this forum someone will come up with suggestions. I made the big decision to leave my job. I found travelling into the city and working full time was exhausting me. I would come home and just fall asleep for a couple of hours. But this decision took time and obviously we had to work out ways to manage. Thankfully I had a supportive hubby. I have no regrets - I am just relieved that I did it last year. There's no way I could have coped with being on my feet all day and climbing up 3 flights of stairs. I have OA in both knees as well as hands and shoulder.

Trying to be logical whilst in pain is hard. Write down what are the positives/negatives about work. Would you be better working part-time or doing admin work? I know it's hard but there are always solutions to problems.

Go back to your GP and explain about your pain and about work- it may mean that you need to change your medication. It takes time to get the right balance of meds. I think my GP has got in spot on for me now as I very rarely have flare ups. My advice is to really listen to your body and don't push it too much. For example I struggle to put the washing on the linel. I got my husband to do it - it was a sight to behold but I just let him get on with it! He has to do it all now. Ask for help when you need it.

I hope you feel better soon.

With warm regards
    Sharmaine
    jordan7j wrote:
    :cry: Hi everyone, been to gp to get results of ANA, as showing symptoms of lupus. Came back negative, but she will write to try to get an earlier appt at the rheumy clinic.
    She said my ESR very high, and seems I am in permanant flare, I have pain in my feet and legs and hands every day. The MXT not working so far, am on 12.5 mg now. She thinks they need to add something, I am so fed up. The tramadol and paracetemol dont work, she wont let me have anti inflamatory due to asthma.

So exhausted all the time, and today went out for a while, came back and slept for 3 hours, this is not on, as I work full time with 2 babies, so dont get the chance to rest. She asked if the clinic knows what I do, I told her yes, and she said she is surprised they havent said to cut down. They never seem to listen anyway, she says I have to be more forceful and insisit on sorting out the meds.

Right now I have had enough, cant deal with the constant pain and tiredness, and just carry on as normal. Also have a friend to says I must keep working as I will be bored, and cant be in that much pain. This makes me feel lazy. I now have to wait for a nearer appt, the last one was 4th Sept, and the next was 22nd Jan. GP says it cant be left that long, but clinic says "give it time". I feel like giving up and staying in bed and hiding from everyone and everything. Sorry everyone, but you all understand.
  • jordan7j
    Options
    Elna, always so logical, and sensible what would we do without you!!!! x x x x Thank you for listening, will have to see gp if dont hear from clinic soon.

Vonski, I know my friend means well, but obviously doesnt understand the problems faced with the job, thank you

Sharmaine, I am self employed, so no one to help with seating etc and I mainly work from my home, and 2 days from the little boy's. Its hard as the parents expect me to take them out every day, andsome days it is nearly impossible, again they just dont get the problems. I know if I cant provide the service I shouldnt be doing it. I know I would miss them so much though. Financially of course it would be hard, but I need to sit and work it out, like you say list ways of sorting out whats for the best
    Thank you all for your help, its really appreciated, especially when you feel down Jay x
  • sharmaine
    sharmaine Member Posts: 1,638
    Options
    Hi Jay

It must be tough when you're self-employed. I used to work in a school and really miss the children. Some of them stay in touch with me which is great. I'm sure you'll make the right decision to suit your needs and health. Let us know what you do. I think this site is marvelous for good advice and a shoulder to cry on!
    We've all had to adapt our way of life to suit this condition.

Do take care.

With regards
    Sharmaine
  • jordan7j
    Options
    Sharmaine, Thanks for the reply, I used to work in a special needs school too, so know what its like to miss the kids!! I was trained to work with complex medical needs, kids with tracheostomys etc., I wanted to go part time, but the head teacher wouldnt allow it. She said I could do 2 days as swimming float. Gettig into a cold pool with autistic kids!!! No way!! So I gave up, and did childminding. Its still really hard, but no boss around!! Am listening to everyone, honest!!! :)