Femoroacetabular hip impingement

cheekychops
cheekychops Member Posts: 8
edited 4. Nov 2009, 16:38 in Say Hello Archive
Dear Group,

I've just joined this group in the hope someone is able to advise me.

I had unsuccessful arthroscopic debridement of my right hip in August this year. The impingement wasn't addressed at surgery due to severe synovitis and subsequent swelling of the joint. I had an intra-articular steroid injection inserted at time of surgery in order to relieve the inflammation and another one at five weeks post-op as once again I was in severe pain.

The Consultant concluded that my hip at arthroscopy is in poor shape overall and he's not surprised that it is still causing me pain, but after trying to adopt a 'wait and see' policy for the past couple of months, he has now decided to do an open procedure in order to rectify my ongoing symptoms and surgery will be performed in 10-12 weeks. Apparently femoroacetabular hip impingement is a pre-curser to osteoarthritis if left untreated.

I'm only in my early forties and my Consultant assures me that I do not require either re-surfacing or hip replacement as yet as the femur is in good condition still.

I'm not too sure what this 'open procedure' will involve, but I know that I had an osseous bump deformity of femoral neck which was highlighted during MRI as well as a small cyst. I have severe synovitis and femoral-acetabular impingement, but apparantly no arthritis or effusion.

Can anyone give me some idea as to what I can expect in terms of rehabillitation, post-op recovery and mobilising etc following what I believe is a major operation.

Many thanks,

:D

Comments

• elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Dear Group,

I've just joined this group in the hope someone is able to advise me.

I had unsuccessful arthroscopic debridement of my right hip in August this year. The impingement wasn't addressed at surgery due to severe synovitis and subsequent swelling of the joint. I had an intra-articular steroid injection inserted at time of surgery in order to relieve the inflammation and another one at five weeks post-op as once again I was in severe pain.

The Consultant concluded that my hip at arthroscopy is in poor shape overall and he's not surprised that it is still causing me pain, but after trying to adopt a 'wait and see' policy for the past couple of months, he has now decided to do an open procedure in order to rectify my ongoing symptoms and surgery will be performed in 10-12 weeks. Apparently femoroacetabular hip impingement is a pre-curser to osteoarthritis if left untreated.

I'm only in my early forties and my Consultant assures me that I do not require either re-surfacing or hip replacement as yet as the femur is in good condition still.

I'm not too sure what this 'open procedure' will involve, but I know that I had an osseous bump deformity of femoral neck which was highlighted during MRI as well as a small cyst. I have severe synovitis and femoral-acetabular impingement, but apparantly no arthritis or effusion.

Can anyone give me some idea as to what I can expect in terms of rehabillitation, post-op recovery and mobilising etc following what I believe is a major operation.

Many thanks,

:D

Hi cheeky!

Welcome to the forum. Sorry but I have no answers to your questions. Perhaps you would be better posting this on the Living with Arthritis Forum as this is an introductory zone so not so many of the members hang out here. You will find many more of us on the LWA and Chitchat zone.

Why not copy and paste your message onto the LWA forum.

Look after yourself,

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.