Hi everyone

sve170
sve170 Member Posts: 14
edited 24. Nov 2009, 17:45 in Say Hello Archive
Am newish to the site, joined a year or so back but have not visited in ages.
Daignosed 3 years ago with PA, getting on ok but always in pain, stiff, tender etc.....doe's it ever get any easier???

Comments

• dorcas
    dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Welcome back to the forum!...I'm a new user too and enjoying the chat and support etc...

I also have PA...diagnosed 12yrs ago. Would like to tell you it gets better..but..??!!!

Never mind....at least you are not alone. Look forward to reading your posts. Dorcas x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Hi

Sorry I forgotten.

Welcome and Welcome to the club (PA)

trish xx
  • sve170
    Thanks for the info,
    It just gets me so down, i am only 47 but i cannot stop thinking what the future holds.
    On sulphasalazine for past 3 years max dose also naproxen when required which has been quite a lot the past months.

Will be stopping by on a regular basis.

Thanks

p.s.....anyone know how to change my username???
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    You ask about changing your user name..... why not have a word with the moderators or just start completely from scratch again as if you have never joined this forum before and give yourself another user name.

Luv
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • maccajo
    maccajo Member Posts: 47
    sve170 wrote:
    Daignosed 3 years ago with PA, getting on ok but always in pain, stiff, tender etc.....doe's it ever get any easier???

Hello sve170,
    So sorry to hear your always in pain.
    I'm new to this site too and new to posting :? Not sure how to post without a quote or know if I should put in a new subject each time.
    I have been newly diagnosed and still on sick leave (10 weeks now) , taking plaquenil. Are you working and how do you manage with that? Im thinking of going back after christmas. My pains are there daily but change constantly in severity.
    Three years on I'd have hoped it would get a bit better!

maccajo
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    Hi Sve
    Pleased to welcome you back :)
    Macc
    If you want to reply without quote scroll a little further down and there is a place which says reply to topic and it does it for you :)
    Toni x
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    sve170 wrote:
    Thanks for the info,
    It just gets me so down, i am only 47 but i cannot stop thinking what the future holds.
    On sulphasalazine for past 3 years max dose also naproxen when required which has been quite a lot the past months.

Will be stopping by on a regular basis.

Thanks

p.s.....anyone know how to change my username???

Hi sve170. I understand how it gets you down, i have only just turned 35 and like you, i often think of the future. It is hard hun but you have to try to live for now. Even people without arthur don't know what's round the next corner.
    Looking forward to you posts, also feel free to PM (personal message) me if you need to.

Carol X
  • carol101
    carol101 Member Posts: 584
    maccajo wrote:
    sve170 wrote:

Hello sve170,
    I'm new to this site too and new to posting :? Not sure how to post without a quote or know if I should put in a new subject each time.
    I have been newly diagnosed and still on sick leave (10 weeks now) , taking plaquenil. Are you working and how do you manage with that? Im thinking of going back after christmas. My pains are there daily but change constantly in severity.

maccajo

Hi Maccajo. I have OA of the spine and still hold down a 40hr week physical job. I stand for 8hrs a day, can life anything up to 25kg and do a lot of bending. I am also constently in pain although my meds do keep it quite mild normally. I know every employer is different but i have found keeping my manager fully involved with my health has helped with them being understanding with me when i do need time off or if i'm at work but having a bad day i just sit and do nothing for a few minutes if i need to or even go for a walk and stretch around the factory. I have even got my manager reading this website!

Carol X
  • sve170
    maccajo wrote:
    sve170 wrote:

Hello sve170,

maccajo

Hi maccajo

Yes i am working, in fact when working because i have so much going on and concentration / awareness of my task i tend to be able to somehow block out my pain etc...
    I am a technician working on a north sea oil platform ( have done for many many years) working 12 hour shifts for fourteen consecutive days i then get fourteen days leave period at home.
    I travel to work by helicopter (not as glamorous as it seems) and work alongside up to 100 other technicians etc...carrying out daily duties and maintenance to try and keep our oil / gas flowing back to the UK refineries.

I am so used to this work rota and being away from wife and children it just seems like a normal job to us.
    The rota might seem extreme but to get 14 days off work every month is as good as it gets.
    I have to pass a very strict "fitness for work" medical every two years and up to now have not had any problems, my medication raised questions when i first started on it but not any more.

I am fortunate in that my condition has been described as fairly mild but active and consistant.
    I have several joints always very tender and sore with inflammation but my job is so active my consultant described it as "permanent physiotherapy".

Hopefully you can get back to work soon, as for me without my work i think i would deteriorate rapidly.

good luck
    sve
  • maccajo
    carol101 wrote:
    maccajo wrote:
    sve170 wrote:

Hello sve170,

maccajo

Hi Maccajo. I have OA of the spine and still hold down a 40hr week physical job. I stand for 8hrs a day, can life anything up to 25kg and do a lot of bending. I am also constently in pain although my meds do keep it quite mild normally. I know every employer is different but i have found keeping my manager fully involved with my health has helped with them being understanding with me when i do need time off or if i'm at work but having a bad day i just sit and do nothing for a few minutes if i need to or even go for a walk and stretch around the factory. I have even got my manager reading this website!

Carol X

Hi Carol,
    I think you are brilliant working so hard, OA in the spine can't be easy. I have the start of OA in my knees and my rheumy thinks my PA will develope into RA due to high CCP results??? I want to get back to work and reading about others makes me realise it will be possible and managable once I get pain stable. I have good friends at the school I work in and the children will help me get through. Your manager sounds very understanding.
    maccajo x
  • maccajo
    sve170 wrote:
    maccajo wrote:
    sve170 wrote:

Hello sve170,

maccajo

Hi maccajo

Yes i am working, in fact when working because i have so much going on and concentration / awareness of my task i tend to be able to somehow block out my pain etc...
    I am a technician working on a north sea oil platform ( have done for many many years) working 12 hour shifts for fourteen consecutive days i then get fourteen days leave period at home.
    I travel to work by helicopter (not as glamorous as it seems) and work alongside up to 100 other technicians etc...carrying out daily duties and maintenance to try and keep our oil / gas flowing back to the UK refineries.

I am so used to this work rota and being away from wife and children it just seems like a normal job to us.
    The rota might seem extreme but to get 14 days off work every month is as good as it gets.
    I have to pass a very strict "fitness for work" medical every two years and up to now have not had any problems, my medication raised questions when i first started on it but not any more.

I am fortunate in that my condition has been described as fairly mild but active and consistant.
    I have several joints always very tender and sore with inflammation but my job is so active my consultant described it as "permanent physiotherapy".

Hopefully you can get back to work soon, as for me without my work i think i would deteriorate rapidly.

good luck
    sve

Hi sve170,
    I know what you mean about deteriorating rapidly, my brains are turning mushy and my muscles, its only been 11 weeks but can't let me back till stable. Best thing I could do would be to get back and give it a go.
    How do you manage when your away with tiredness and bad flares? Does your bosses allow you rest time?
    I can have a debilitating flare in my knee, hands and shoulder and cant use that part for 2-3 days.
    I like the sound of 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. What shift will that be for xmas? Off I hope.

maccajo x
  • sve170
    maccajo wrote:
    sve170 wrote:
    maccajo wrote:

Hello sve170,

maccajo

Hi maccajo

good luck
    sve

Hi sve170,
    I know what you mean about deteriorating rapidly, my brains are turning mushy and my muscles, its only been 11 weeks but can't let me back till stable. Best thing I could do would be to get back and give it a go.
    How do you manage when your away with tiredness and bad flares? Does your bosses allow you rest time?
    I can have a debilitating flare in my knee, hands and shoulder and cant use that part for 2-3 days.
    I like the sound of 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off. What shift will that be for xmas? Off I hope.

maccajo x

Hi maccajo
    I am at work this xmas, just part of the job.
    I never need any rest time, as i said i tend to cope a lot better when at work because i have so much to focus on.
    I am also fortunate that my arth at present is probably in the "very mild" catagory.
    I do worry about what the future holds.
    I really enjoy my job and the colleagues i work with, working offshore is totally different from working a normal 9 to 5 routine.

I really feel for you at the moment.

sve