naproxen advice

Options
maccajo
maccajo Member Posts: 47
I have been prescribed naproxin and codiene for pain relief of my PA, the hospital told me I only need to take it if the pains are chronic. My doc has said I should take them twice daily to keep any pain away?
I only touch the codiene if really bad.

At the moment I have a very stiff and painfull left knee (back of knee, feels like my viens are exploding!!) and I was about to take a naproxen.

Im unsure when to take them for the best, not keen on having them daily.
maccajo

Comments

• helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,487
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

If your knee is very swollen and you're experiencing a lot of pain, there's no harm in taking naproxen daily for a couple of weeks to see if it helps bring down the inflammation. Then you could just take them as and when you need to. If you've recently started on disease modifying treatment it can take up to three months to work, but provided it does you won't need to take anti-inflammatories on a regular basis.

Best wishes
    Paul
  • maccajo
    Options
    Thanks Paul,

Iam only on 1 plaquenil a day because of a reaction when I increased to 2 and amitrip 10mg at bedtime

My OH told me to contact my rheumy and let them know that I was getting more flares and the pains where becoming more symetrical than a few weeks ago , see if they could bring my appoint forward. I did this and the rheumy nurse came back to me and said I should go to my GP, thats when my GP said to take naproxen 2daily. my next appoint is mid Dec.

Naproxen is kicking in a bit , so I 'll take them for a few days like you said, just hate popping so many.
  • helpline_team
    Options
    Hope it helps. Your GP can prescribe a drug to protect your stomach (PPI) against acidy effect of the anti inflammatory if you need.
    There's some good research to back up eating an extra mediterranian style of diet (less red meat, extra veg and fruit) and taking omega 3 capsules (3 day x 1000mg) has done well in research too.

Good luck with things
    Guy
  • maccajo
    Options
    Thanks guy,

Im giving that ago too, lots of fresh natural food and im taking omega but i think i should increase that i only take 1 a day. I do love my fish anyway.
    What about glucosemine?
    True to form knees gone now??? very wierd!

maccajo x
  • helpline_team
    Options
    maccajo wrote:
    Thanks guy,

Im giving that ago too, lots of fresh natural food and im taking omega but i think i should increase that i only take 1 a day. I do love my fish anyway.
    What about glucosemine?
    True to form knees gone now??? very wierd!

Dear Maccajo

Thank you for your posting on the forum. There is no evidence that Glucosamine is effective in the treatment of inflammatory arthritis. If you follow the link http://www.arc.org.uk/arthinfo/fullpublist.asp this will lead you to the Arthritis Research Campaign’s information for the public. The booklet ‘Complementary and alternative medicine for arthritis’ will give you information on supplements and on the same link the booklet on psoriatric arthritis will be able to give you more information about managing the condition. You may also think about contacting Arthritis Care for our self management courses that can help you learn skills and techniques to manage your condition more effectively. To find out more about this follow the link on http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/PublicationsandResources/Selfmanagement.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Best Wishes
    Dawn
    accajo x