help! need positive vibes

dorcas
dorcas Member Posts: 3,516
Hi everyone,
I have a heavy duty meeting this morning with managers and HR to discuss the outcome of the OH assessment (which I haven't seen yet) and Access to Work assessment. I am as nervous as a kitten about it and hence had a bit of a sleepless night. Would really appreciate your support!

Thing is, if I was going in to a meeting to support someone else it would be a dawdle......I'd be assertive and focussed and not accept whatever is being dished out; but as it's for me that's quite a different story?!

I know that I am not going to like what is being recommended...amounts to me not being able to stay in my current post.... so it is going to be a battle.

At least I have prepared something in writing to tell them what I think should and could be done to meet my dis. needs and keep me in my current job, so if my courage fails me I can resort to that!

Am taking a union rep in with me...but have had experience before of the union rep siding with the bosses so will have to prime her as to what I want before the meeting to make sure she doesn't drop me in it!

goodness I have waffled a bit! just wanted to let it all out before I go. thanks for listening. Iris x

Comments

• miss_l
    miss_l Member Posts: 138
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Sending you lots of positive vibes

x
  • dorcas
    edited 19. Nov 2009, 18:27
    Thank you for sending me your good luck & positive vibes...let me tell you I needed them!
    Have just returned home after a gruelling meeting with HR and boss...but am fairly ok with the outcome.

Being well prepared seemed to be the most useful thing I could have done; knowing my rights, and my employers' responsibilities, under DDA ...and having written down what my views were of what could be put in place to keep me in my job helped hugely (thanks helpline for that advice)

Nothing has been resolved though and I have been asked to stay at home next week while they look into and respond (in writing) to my suggestions. ........but I have made them look again at what they need to do/ are required to do under DDA and stopped the gung ho approach they were taking to writing me out of my job...so a stay of execution at least!

The union were good..I spelled out what I wanted before the meeting...and they are going to speak to their equalities officer about my case. (strange how you change from being a person to becoming a 'case')

I think I need to have a wee drink now to steady my nerves ....wait, I can't do that as I'm on MTX and the last time I drank alcohol I had terrible hallucinations..saw goblins and all sorts.
    Well a hot bath with scented candles then ..... but no, can't get in or ..more importantly..out of the bath! (did that once and got stuck in the bath for 2hrs; hilarious!)

Just have to settle for a nice cup of tea and a piece of cake (don't even mention the waistline!)

anyway thanks chums..really appreciated your support. Iris x
  • oneday
    oneday Member Posts: 1,434
    dorcas wrote:
    Thank you for sending me your positive vibes...let me tell you I needed them!
    Have just returned home after a gruelling meeting with HR and boss...but am fairly ok with the outcome.

Being well prepared seemed to be the most useful thing I could have done; knowing my rights, and my employers' responsibilities, under DDA ...and having written down what my views were of what could be put in place to keep me in my job helped hugely (thanks helpline for that advice)

Nothing has been resolved though and I have been asked to stay at home next week while they look into and respond (in writing) to my suggestions. ........but I have made them look again at what they need to do/ are required to do under DDA and stopped the gung ho approach they were taking to writing me out of my job...so a stay of execution at least!

The union were good..I spelled out what I wanted before the meeting...and they are going to speak to their equalities officer about my case. (strange how you change from being a person to becoming a 'case')

I think I need to have a wee drink now to steady my nerves ....wait, I can't do that as I'm on MTX and the last time I drank alcohol I had terrible hallucinations..saw goblins and all sorts.
    Well a hot bath with scented candles then ..... but no, can't get in or ..more importantly..out of the bath! (did that once and got stuck in the bath for 2hrs; hilarious!)

Just have to settle for a nice cup of tea and a piece of cake (don't even mention the waistline!)

anyway thanks chums..really appreciated your support. Iris x

It sounds like it went quite well and you got management thinking!!I think they should have let you see OH report before meeting though.
  • dorcas
    thanks oneday!
    My boss had sent me an e-mail to let me know they had the OH assessment in yesterday late afternoon...so it was too late to see it then.
    I told my boss that I would read it before the meeting and if I felt I had insufficient time to digest the contents I would be asking for the meeting to be put off until another day. As it turned out the OH report was fairly short so no need to put things off.

Union contacted me again after the meeting......they really seem to have the bit between the teeth now and are talking about my employer already acting unlawfully & my situation being a 'test case' if employers don't get their act together. I'm not sure I have the energy for that!

...But it is time we folks with arther were properly protected and used the power of the DDA to challenge being elbowed out of one job into another or elbowed right out of the door!

thanks for support. Iris x
  • markc1
    markc1 Member Posts: 253
    dorcas wrote:
    thanks oneday!
    My boss had sent me an e-mail to let me know they had the OH assessment in yesterday late afternoon...so it was too late to see it then.
    I told my boss that I would read it before the meeting and if I felt I had insufficient time to digest the contents I would be asking for the meeting to be put off until another day. As it turned out the OH report was fairly short so no need to put things off.

Union contacted me again after the meeting......they really seem to have the bit between the teeth now and are talking about my employer already acting unlawfully & my situation being a 'test case' if employers don't get their act together. I'm not sure I have the energy for that!

...But it is time we folks with arther were properly protected and used the power of the DDA to challenge being elbowed out of one job into another or elbowed right out of the door!

Hear hear to that totally agree with you,keep fighting! :wink:
  • dorcas
    thanks everyone!
    I might need to keep posting for support through this battle....I am finding it very, very stressful. (what ever did I do without you great folks before?)

Got letter from the OH doc this morning asking permission to send for a consultant report... I am trying to see the relevance as he has already submitted his (very limited) report which my employers are acting upon?
    It does say in the letter 'after peer consultation it is felt that getting a consultant report would be useful for the future' !!!!!
    Personally, I think he has been given a boot up the proverbial by his 'peer review' as his assessment was rubbish and he is hastily covering his back..or am I getting paranoid?!

I phoned him this morn but he's not available.

Also Access to Work are being asked by my employer to re-submit their report as I told them I had phoned and told ATW that the one they submitted does not assess what could be put in place to keep me in my current job and under DDA they are obliged to... ( the current report sweeps me out of my post).

I am also making a formal complaint as found out yesterday that ATW sent my employer the full report, containing all my past medical history, without my permission; they are only supposed to give employers their recommendations as to reasonable adjustments.

I think I am making lots of enemies.......

Sorry for ranting on but I feel I am fighting on my own against the system (know I am exaggerating; being a bit of a drama queen).

hope you'll all keep me grounded....
    iris x
  • dorcas
    Hey pixie!

I have two big dogs of my own.... Ruby and Jakey boy (labs)

Good thing is that they don't mess the garden!! ... as long as they get walked twice a day!!! live near country park so they get bunged in the car and can run free when we get there.....

A nephew is great and takes them out....

SO pixie...any better ideas about staying grounded ?..one that doesn't involve poo????!!! ha ha.... at least you made me laugh! Iris x
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Dorcas well done you, I for one am rooting for you and thinking you are an inspiration. As you know I'm in something of a similar position and you are giving strenth and support even while asking for it yourself. You are so very strong and articulate. Very very best of luck with the rest of this, try not to let them stress you out too much and give yourself treats you so deserve them.
    Sorry I did'nt get to read your post before you went to your interview but I've been having a few probs.
    rita
  • dorcas
    thanks Rita,
    I really really appreciate your kind words! and everyone's support.

I am now determined to see this through no matter what........ but I would be kidding myself if I didn't admit it's very very daunting and I was really stressing before that meeting on Thursday!. I am good at masking how I feel so appeared to be in control... I also had read up quite a bit on DDA and gave my bosses the beejaybers when I started to challenge them about their responsibilities and obligations.

Who knows what will happen but I will not be going anywhere quietly that's for sure.......I think what's also making me determined is reading all the rotten experiences of others on the forum of how they've been treated in the workplace. Makes me mad!

Am gaining strength from the good folks in the forum and helpline as I go along...

Am looking after my wee grandsons tomorrow (7 & 4)and we are going to decorate T shirts for the Blue Peter Smile Appeal...so that should be very messy fun! (and that's just me)

hope all is well with you? got a wee inkling it might not be? let us know if we can help? iris x
  • ritwren
    Ah how lovely you will get to spend time with your little Grandsons tomorrow.:D I do hope you all have a smashing time. How very clever of you to read up on the DDL bet they were gobsmacked. :D Is'nt it awful that everything has to be fought for and nothing comes easy. No matter, we are all much stronger than we think. I hope you have a lovely weekend and your health does'nt stop you doing the things you want to do.
    I am a bit stressed and have phonecalls to make next week to CAB. This has not been the best of weeks health wise but no matter I'll get there.
    :)
    chat later
    rita
  • dorcas
    Rita,
    have to go just now but will be back on later.. if you want to talk about CAB or anything you could send me a PM? will pick up after tenish... Iris x
  • oneday
    markc1 wrote:
    dorcas wrote:
    thanks oneday!

Hear hear to that totally agree with you,keep fighting! :wink:

PRINCIPLES!
  • oneday
    dorcas wrote:
    thanks everyone!
    I might need to keep posting for support through this battle....I am finding it very, very stressful. (what ever did I do without you great folks before?)

Got letter from the OH doc this morning asking permission to send for a consultant report... I am trying to see the relevance as he has already submitted his (very limited) report which my employers are acting upon?
    It does say in the letter 'after peer consultation it is felt that getting a consultant report would be useful for the future' !!!!!
    Personally, I think he has been given a boot up the proverbial by his 'peer review' as his assessment was rubbish and he is hastily covering his back..or am I getting paranoid?!

I phoned him this morn but he's not available.

Also Access to Work are being asked by my employer to re-submit their report as I told them I had phoned and told ATW that the one they submitted does not assess what could be put in place to keep me in my current job and under DDA they are obliged to... ( the current report sweeps me out of my post).

I am also making a formal complaint as found out yesterday that ATW sent my employer the full report, containing all my past medical history, without my permission; they are only supposed to give employers their recommendations as to reasonable adjustments.

I think I am making lots of enemies.......

Sorry for ranting on but I feel I am fighting on my own against the system (know I am exaggerating; being a bit of a drama queen).

hope you'll all keep me grounded....
    iris x

You have to fight, not enough people do and thats why these problems occur...cos bosses etc try things on..if they knew by being out of order they would get comeback they woudlnt try....and i know exactlly who you feel........i fight back.........yep, its hard....but if people played fair no one would need to fight, come on here for support...you will be a stronger person after!

p.s the phone- get everything in writing.
  • dorcas
    Thanks a lot oneday! (and everyone else who has supported me in this)

You are right in what you've said.. ..and I will get everything in writing as I have found to my cost that what is said is not always what ends up being written when it comes to reports...

I will keep using the forum ..thanks':D' I really feel energised by everyone's support and advice......but...... if I start to get too boring then please let me know':!: ':oops:'
  • dorcas
    Hi everyone,

Update on my return to work issues/ DDA

I have heard back from the union's equality and disabled rights officers today.....they are horrified at what has been happening and want me to raise a grievance on the basis that my employer has potentially breached their duties under DDA and disability equality.

They also want to provide advice and support during the process and have asked if they can present a case synopsis to the EHRC equality helpline for an opinion.

ATW have been asked to resubmit their report (amended) addressing the gaps in their assessment ie....that they had not properly considered my needs in relation to my current post nor provided recommendations re 'reasonable adjustments' (as they are obliged to do under DDA) which might allow me to continue in my current post.

My stress levels are through the roof and my knees are shaking at the thought of all of this; needless to say arther is playing up something rotten! iris x
  • ritwren
    Dorcas, I'm delighted to hear you are finally getting the support you need. Sounds to me like they are ready to do battle for you which is brilliant but also so very stressful for you. I hope will all my might that something gets sorted and you are able to keep your post and get back to work soon and they make whatever adjustments you need to keep you healthy.

I hope you are feeling well rested and arthur is a bit more under control this morning. You certainly deserve some special treats. Hang in there and take really good care of yourself.
    big very gentle hugs rita
  • maccajo
    maccajo Member Posts: 47
    My goodness dorcas , as if you haven't got enough to fight with your health and all !!! :x

You sound very well organised and prepared and if anyone deserves fair treatment and a happy outcome , its you.

I'm not surprised you're stressed and arthurs playing up but keep going and remember we're all cheering you on. :D:D:D

keep us updated and good luck
    maccajo x
  • dorcas
    thanks so much Rita and maccajo...
    I really appreciate your support..

I have taken things a little further today as I have made a formal complaint to directgov about the ATW having released personal and confidential information to my employer without my permission....I have said that this is a Data Protection issue and breaches my human rights.

They've said it will take 5days to provide a response, but at least it's being looked at.

My hand therapist got involved today...after listening to me rabbiting on.. poor soul':roll:' .....and is speaking to her boss about what (if anything) could be done to support what I'm doing.':D'

She also suggested seeking an independent OT report which I think is a really good idea. Don't know what this will cost but am going to ask the union if they'll help.

Am seeing rheummy tomorrow and will be asking for their support.....................why not? nothing to lose by asking.

My head is stuffed with all of this and part of me wants to run away.

My own lovely family do not understand what I am doing and want me to think about leaving my job altogether..they mean well but it's not helpful.

So, your support is really important to me and I am thankful for the forum. ':D'
  • ritwren
    Good for you Dorcas, you know we're behind you all the way. I hope the union can help with payment for your further OT report and they can help focus on the positive things you can do and not just on the things you can't. You may not even need an independent OT report, just a report from another OT and perhaps your Rheumy could help with that tomorrow. Worth a try. So long as it's another OT it does'nt have to be independent.

You really have been through the mill with all this and you have a ways to go so it's important for you to try to find time for some things which help you relax a bit and look after yourself. It's difficult when family and friends want you to stop and give up but I've no doubt they think they are saying and suggesting what they think is best for you. Problem with that is that it is a different road to the one you want to follow and you need support to carry out the things you want to do, not what others want you to do.
    Do phone the helpline again for support if there's nobody around here to chat to or even if you need to chat to someone different.
    Good luck tomorrow with your Rheumy, I so very much hope that they can suggest something to help you over your latest flareup.
    big gentle hugs
    rita
  • dorcas
    For those following this thread..a wee update.

Rheummy team were very understanding and supportive when I saw them today. ...despite that (or maybe because of it) I ended up bubbling like a baby; how embarrassing. ':cry:'':oops:'':roll:'

My Consultant was practically jumping up and down in annoyance when he heard what had been happening at work and saw the state of my joints (arther's recent handywork). ':x'

He blames the stress of dealing with the work related issues for the flare up and gave me a big jab of kenalog to settle things down. ':mrgreen:'

He also offered (didn't even need to ask) to write a report outlining my condition, treatment and meds and said he will be stating in no uncertain terms that in his opinion my employer should not consider moving me out of my job as they are obliged to examine all the options & provide me with appropriate support and adjustments under DDA.
    He is also going to outline what he thinks I need and what action my employer is obliged to take; bless him':!:'.

He is sending the report to me so that I can have a look and decide if there is anything more he needs to say or do........I've to phone him to let him know what happens after the report has been given to my employer.

I've now lodged a complaint with ICO (Information Commissioner's Office) about Job Centre Plus disclosing confidential info. to my employer without my permission...

thanks again for listening. Iris x
  • ritwren
    That's great news that you're getting good support from the Rheumy,, team. Although everything that's happening is terribly stressful you do seem to be getting there. It's great that you've posted on here as I'm sure there are other folk who are following your thread and many will meet similar obsticles through time unfortunately.
    I hope so much that the injection kicks in and you soon start to feel some good effects from it. Take care of yourself and don't do too much until you're feeling stronger and in less pain.
    rita
  • maccajo
    maccajo Member Posts: 47
    Not at all suprised your emotions came out at your rheumy visit.
    Glad your keeping us posted.
    Keep ur chin up as well as the fight :D

jo x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Iris

I've been following this but haven't felt able to offer practical help.
    However I notice you haven't posted for a few days so just wanted to send a hug and hope you are coping. Let us know how you are when you can. Best wishes, take care
    Chris
  • dorcas
    Hi Chris, Hi everyone,

I have been 'off air' for a few days... thanks for noticing and sending me good wishes and hugs....much appreciated.

I have been feeling very stressed and low..and I had also not posted an update as I didn't want to be a bore, especially as there are other folks out there struggling with their own issues.':oops:'

Since I last posted, and as you have kindly asked, there have been some developments....

Last week I refused to go into work as my employer had not made or considered any changes during the week of my so called annual leave, that would ensure a safe working environment....... he expected that I would just pick up from where I left off even though he was aware of my limitations':x'

I then asked to meet with HR and the union to discuss my 'case' and laid it on the line that I was extremely unhappy at the way my employers and HR had been mismanaging my return to work.... and that they had failed to follow their own 'managing ill health' procedures.
    I have asked, and they have agreed to ask OH for a more in depth assessment . :mrgreen:'

They have also realised that it was illegal for them to expect me to use annual leave for that week when my employer could not provide appropriate and safe tasks for me; I am being re credited with the five days...':mrgreen:'

In addition I had it documented that all of this was stressing me out and that my rheumy had advised that this was a contributing factor to my flare up. I have demanded a copy of all minutes from the five meetings we have had thus far so as to evidence my employers/ HR failure to follow the agreed actions at these meetings and their failure to discharge their 'duty of care' under DDA

I also crossed swords yesterday with the Disability Adviser re the poor standard of the ATW assessment, how it does not address my disability in relation to my current post, nor make appropriate recommendations / reasonable adjustments; all of which have severely disadvantaged me in my return to work.....her responses would make your hair stand on end (too much to go into here)and practically left me speechless.... I say 'practically speechless' as I have followed our tel call up by listing their incompetences in an e mail and have asked for a meeting with her, HR, boss and union.

As a result of all of this, I have thought carefully and I have decided to speak to the Equality and Human Rights Commission on Friday (day off) about my experiences to date to see if they can help/advise/ possibly raise a case....

Some good news now....':D' I got a call from a specialist IT firm arranging to meet with me tomorrow to assess my IT requirements..referred by ATW after my call yesterday... hooray!!

My hand therapist, who has been following my 'journey' during my weekly sessions with her, asked yesterday if she could take up the 'cause' and speak to the OH Dr to suggest he organise a specialist OT workplace assessment; apparently there is an OT with a specialist background in rheumatology in the OH organisation whom my therapist just happens to know. ':wink:'
    The OH Dr has agreed in principle and is checking whether this may be funded under the existing contract with my employer. I have mailed HR and my boss to expect his call..fingers xd

I don't know what the outcome of all of this will be...my assessed needs and the recommendations/ adjustments I require to allow me to do my own job may not, in the end, be considered 'reasonable' and I may ultimately not be able to remain in my current post...... but that is not the issue for me.
    I just want (all I have wanted all along) is a fair and thorough assessment of my disability as it affects my job, carried out by competent people who are PAID to do just that...... so far that has not happened but I will not stop nagging at them until I have achieved that goal.

I know my experience of work place discrimination..for that is what it is...is not unique, as many of the good folks in this forum have had similar and worse experiences...makes me wonder if the mother AC organisation do/ should collate the information to exert some political pressure on our collective behalf? but may be I go too far.. Iris x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Iris

Welcome back, I do hope you are feeling ok inspite of all these battles. No you are not a bore, never even think that.
    You have been busy, but you go girl, give 'em both barrels and fight your corner. I wish you better health and the strength to keep fighting. I'm sure others will say the same.
    Take care
    Chris