Books

lindalegs
lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
edited 28. Nov 2009, 11:01 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi All,

What books have you put on your Christmas list?

I've just bought Lollipop Shoes by Joanne Harris for my Christmas read.

I'm just struggling with Time Travellers Wife - I keep losing interest. Anyone read it, is it worth persevering with?

Luv Legs
who's a bit of a bookworm :D
Love, Legs x
'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'

Comments

• gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    I know what you mean about the Time Travellers but keep it up if you can - It's one of my favourite books!!

No others come to mind right now but I will have a think for you! :D

A x
  • debbierose
    debbierose Member Posts: 403
    I want ant and dec's book for xmas,

or a paranormal book
  • penfactor
    penfactor Member Posts: 366
    Hi hon!
    Or should I say wifey! Ref your brill reply on my other post! This is first time I've looked in on CC forum & I am a total bookworm so like this subject!
    I know what you mean about Time Trav's Wife - I did not love it, could not get any interest going in either character. My motto is never give up on any book, though so persevere!
    I recommend everybody reads The Other Hand by Chris Cleave.
    It will open your eyes about a certain controversial subject & will definitely make you cry!
    Pennie x
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    I'm a rather guilty lifetime bookworm, Legs. For the last few years, I've needed 'lighter' reads find I can't take a lot of the heavy stuff around just now.
    I like - any book by Elizabeth Peters/Barbara Michaels (she's American, but a lot of her books are set in England and a lot of them are spoof gothic thrillers).

Charlotte Macleod - Canadian, but I love her books, spoof whodunnits, most of hers are so far out they have me in tears of laughter and frustrated because I can't stop long enough to read the next page. However, I agree with one of my daughters that you do need a way-out sense of humour to react like this to them.

I do a lot of comfort reading - so far this year I have reread all of Jane Austen, Lousia May Alcott and all those I have by Gene Stratton Porter and Mary Stewart.

I think I read what I had to read for so long that I'm taking a sabbatical from using my brain. Also I find so many modern novels just plain boring!

Annie[/u]
  • lindalegs
    lindalegs Member Posts: 5,393
    penfactor wrote:
    Hi hon!
    Or should I say wifey! ...............
    Pennie x

Do you like wearing trousers then :?

Luv Legs in a frilly frock :lol::lol:
    Love, Legs x
    'Make a life out of what you have, not what you're missing'
  • angel1
    angel1 Bots Posts: 1,464
    I have recently finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", by Stieg Larsson. I can`t praise it highly enough. I`ve been an avid reader for many, many years, so to say that this is one of the best books I`ve read, is really saying something.

There are two more, "The Girl who played with Fire", and "The Girl who kicked the Hornets Nest". Hopefully I will be getting these for Christmas.

Sadly, he died, not long after finishing the trilogy........Ange.
  • vonski
    vonski Member Posts: 1,292
    Hi Linda

I fancy Anthony Horowitz Crocodile Tears and the Patrick Swayze autobiography.

Love
    Vonski x
  • chris7
    chris7 Bots Posts: 2,696
    Hi Legs

Oh goody another book thread. a035.gif

My Christmas wish list includes
    Biogs, Jack Dee
    Jo Brand
    Ant and Dec
    Steve Redgrave on Sport folks, can't remember title at mo.

Too many novels to which I have just added Time Travellers Wife thanks gickygawky and oodles of history, but must catch those you mention Ange haven't tried 'em yet.

Hi pennie, I loved the Other Hand too especially the blurb on the back :lol: Just had to read it.
    Sorry Annie I misread some of your post and thought you said Janet Street-Porter, have you seen her titles :oops:

I shall put lots on my list to Santa but since I get staff discount will no doubt end up buying them all myself! Don't you just love Christmas. :D

Chris :wink:
  • penfactor
    Do you like wearing trousers then :?

As it is impossible to shave my own legs at the moment - absolutely! Lol!
    x
  • penfactor
    Oo - I want Jo Brand's book too!
  • debbierose
    the best book I,ve read recently was Racheals' Holiday
    it was so funny I couldn't put it down,

dan Brown's lost symbol was good.

having to read Kim Goldings book at the moment for my course that I'm on
    attachment theory.
    don't know If I will get to course tomorrow. we'll see.
  • gickygawky
    gickygawky Member Posts: 478
    I wonder if anyone would like my favourite book.

It's called 'Colour' and is by Victoria Finlay. She is a journalist who travels the globe in search of the origins of the pigments for each colour of the rainbow that is used to make paint. It sounds weird but it's so interesting I couldn't put it down! :)

Maybe Joyful might like it being our forum painter??

A x
  • chris7
    Sounds a good one for Joy

Hey just thought of one that rehab would like:

50 people who buggered up Britain by Quentin Letts
    It's on my list too and selling well. :lol:

Chris
  • debbierose
    chris7 wrote:
    Sounds a good one for Joy

Hey just thought of one that rehab would like:

50 people who buggered up Britain by Quentin Letts
    It's on my list too and selling well. :lol:

Chris

I like hehehehehe
  • pheebs
    pheebs Member Posts: 202
    I like books on history so I've hinted I'd like the book by Dr Neil Oliver - A History of Scotland. I'm enjoying the tv series of the same name.

Has anyone read Pete McCarthy's book "McCarthy's Bar"? It's really funny and about the author's journey through southern Ireland trying to find all the bars with the name McCarthy.

Pheebs x
  • trisher
    trisher Member Posts: 9,263
    Legs

I do love your skirt, It seems to make your legs go on and on.

Are you wearing it to the Christmas party or have you another :)

Trish xxx who loves sparkly things.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    hi legs
    i dont read much and if its not interesting within the first few pages i dont read it, but on your recommendation i asked for "Water for elephants" for xmas and OH got it for me couple of weeks ago ive read half of it already and it is brilliant so far.
    so thanks.
    page x
  • chris7
    Hi page

Yes legs got several of us onto Water for Elephants, very good and a bit different too. Hope you enjoy it :) My sis is nutty about elephants so am giving it to her for Christmas.
  • page35
    page35 Member Posts: 1,081
    hi chris
    good old legs ahh! ( i can hear her shouting less of the old :lol: )
    angels "girl with dragon tattoo" sounds good too,have you read that chris?
  • chris7
    page35 wrote:
    hi chris

No haven't got to that yet but really must, they look a bit big too me :roll: but have heard only good things about them.
    If I have a really good book on the go, normal life stops until I have finished it! I have never been one of these peeps who can read one chapter a day. I WANNA KNOW what happens quick :lol:
    take care
  • chris7
    pheebs wrote:
    I like books on history so I've hinted I'd like the book by Dr Neil Oliver - A History of Scotland. I'm enjoying the tv series of the same name.

Has anyone read Pete McCarthy's book "McCarthy's Bar"? It's really funny and about the author's journey through southern Ireland trying to find all the bars with the name McCarthy.

Pheebs x

Hi pheebs
    Haven't read that one (McCarthy) though it has been so popular at the shop where I work Sundays. He has done some others you might like but can't remember titles at the mo, sorry.
    Sounds a bit like 'Are you Dave Gorman?' by one of the many Dave Gormans out there. He is so funny too if you get chance to catch it.
  • annie_mial
    annie_mial Member Posts: 5,614
    chris7 wrote:
    page35 wrote:
    hi chris

No haven't got to that yet but really must, they look a bit big too me :roll: but have heard only good things about them.
    If I have a really good book on the go, normal life stops until I have finished it! I have never been one of these peeps who can read one chapter a day. I WANNA KNOW what happens quick :lol:
    take care

Oh, Chris, I'm like that too, last time I had a fantastic book on the go, I was in a lot of pain and couldn't sit down for too long. Hubby came into the kitchen to find me walking round and round in circles, reading the book! I was desperate to find out what happened next!

Annie
  • penfactor

Pheebs x[/quote]

That sounds a good gift for my Irish Mum-in-law - she's probably drunk in most of them!
    (Meow!)
    love Pennie
  • chris7
    Pennie
    Just a thought think you said you were a bookworm too?.

Leg started a thread a while back on Chit chat called
    May I recommend a good book. It has gone to 6 pages if you want to have a look and add anything. :shock: Let me know if you want to and can't find it, I'll bump it up for you.
  • joyful164
    joyful164 Member Posts: 2,401
    Do I hear my name mentioned then. The book sounds interesting. I'll put it down on my Christmas List.
    Now, do I want to become the forum artist.

I would be absolutely delighted. And on the same day that Kettering and District Art Society have invited me to be a Full Member instead of an Associate Member. It's probably because they are running out of members or they want me on the committee. I am definitely not a committee person. Not now.

Now, who would like their portrait painted. I'm serious. just contact me privatelya nd will discuss.

joy